Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Eeden wrote: »
    New gin? New gin, you say?? Do tell!

Saw it in the Aldi in Knocknacarra/Galway just now. Unfortunately way before the watershed so couldn't buy one. Looks rather fancy. Will have to try it soon.
    I'm very fond of my G&Ts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Saw it in the Aldi in Knocknacarra/Galway just now. Unfortunately way before the watershed so couldn't buy one. Looks rather fancy. Will have to try it soon.
    I'm very fond of my G&Ts ;)

That will suit me exactly!! Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I'm getting serious FOMO about this Boyles Gin - may have to pop in on my way home to get some. Already have 6 other bottles of Gin at home (with varying amounts remaining) so whats one more!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I'm getting serious FOMO about this Boyles Gin - may have to pop in on my way home to get some. Already have 6 other bottles of Gin at home (with varying amounts remaining) so whats one more!

A bottle of gin seems to have a lifetime of one evening in this house. :rolleyes: Boyle's hasn't arrived in East Wall yet so we're having plain aul Aldi London Dry for our pre-Trick or Treat drinks this evening!

A bottle of gin seems to have a lifetime of one evening in this house. :rolleyes: Boyle's hasn't arrived in East Wall yet so we're having plain aul Aldi London Dry for our pre-Trick or Treat drinks this evening!

We made a big dent in the bottle of Sipsmith London Gin that I bought coming home through Heathrow recently (sure wasnt it a bargain!) but thankfully we didnt get through the whole thing! I think I just really like the look of a full and varied drinks cabinate, like when we have guests over it makes me feel highly sophisticated to be able to offer them a choice!

That and the fact that I travel a fair bit with work but am bad at walking through an airport dutyfree empty handed :eek:

Now with Aldi doing nice gin, this is actually just making me worse! I'm also a disaster when O'Briens have a Gin sale on....actually I need a new bottle of Dingle Gin as it happens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

We made a big dent in the bottle of Sipsmith London Gin that I bought coming home through Heathrow recently (sure wasnt it a bargain!) but thankfully we didnt get through the whole thing! I think I just really like the look of a full and varied drinks cabinate, like when we have guests over it makes me feel highly sophisticated to be able to offer them a choice!

That and the fact that I travel a fair bit with work but am bad at walking through an airport dutyfree empty handed :eek:

Now with Aldi doing nice gin, this is actually just making me worse! I'm also a disaster when O'Briens have a Gin sale on....actually I need a new bottle of Dingle Gin as it happens!

What do you like with your gin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Zelda247 wrote: »

Another one. :)

I'm pretty standard when having it at home. Try to always have some nice tonic water in the house, ie. Schwepps (preferably the mini cans) or Fever Tree if I'm feeling fancy. Usually just use lime/cucumber depending on what gin I have but have recently gotten in some grapefruit and pink pepper corns when we've had people over, just basically inspired by how I've seen them served in nice places in town :)

I'm not one of these Gin purists who drinks it neat, I just love a pre dinner G&T.

Given the topic of the thread, I will say that I recently tried the Aldi tonic water. Its definitely nice and preferable to the likes of Club tonic, which is terrible stuff IMO, but maybe not quite as fizzy as I would like. I think it was 70c of something like that, so very good for the price.

I don't entertain slimline tonics of any brand :D Just have less, but have the real deal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Elderflower cordial is absolutely delicious as a mixer for gin; Lidl did a really nice one like, once about 3 years ago and it never came back. Tesco usually stock the bottlegreen brand cordial, it's a lot more expensive than the Lidl one but at least its always there.

(If you're feeling reeeally swanky you can mix up gin, elderflower cordial and prosecco; so so tasty!)

Anyone tried the Aldi Speciality Fish Cakes, I keep looking at them and consider buying but not sure which is the nicest, the salmon ones look quite tempting.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty standard when having it at home. Try to always have some nice tonic water in the house, ie. Schwepps (preferably the mini cans) or Fever Tree if I'm feeling fancy. Usually just use lime/cucumber depending on what gin I have but have recently gotten in some grapefruit and pink pepper corns when we've had people over, just basically inspired by how I've seen them served in nice places in town :)

I'm not one of these Gin purists who drinks it neat, I just love a pre dinner G&T.

Given the topic of the thread, I will say that I recently tried the Aldi tonic water. Its definitely nice and preferable to the likes of Club tonic, which is terrible stuff IMO, but maybe not quite as fizzy as I would like. I think it was 70c of something like that, so very good for the price.

I don't entertain slimline tonics of any brand :D Just have less, but have the real deal!

I agree with you completely about slimline, slimline anything is vile, alongside low fat anything:)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Anyone tried the Aldi Speciality Fish Cakes, I keep looking at them and consider buying but not sure which is the nicest, the salmon ones look quite tempting.

Tried them and was disappointed. Didn't find the fish inside particularly nice. Probably worth giving them one go anyway though for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Bassfish wrote:
    Tried them and was disappointed. Didn't find the fish inside particularly nice. Probably worth giving them one go anyway though for the price.

The Thai ones are tasty with a nice chilli kick to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I'm a big fan of the fish cakes.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of the fish cakes.

Which ones did you like best?

Not a food product, but Aldi were doing the Dyson cordless, lightweight vacuums at the weekend for €299.

As my Miele is ten year's old at this stage, and slowly dying, i Was debating whether to get one or not.

Anyone any thoughts on them (assuming they're not already all sold out)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Dyson products are by and large, big on advertising and poor on usage in my own experience

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Not a food product, but Aldi were doing the Dyson cordless, lightweight vacuums at the weekend for €299.

As my Miele is ten year's old at this stage, and slowly dying, i Was debating whether to get one or not.

Although I don't have the V6, I think it is the previous model I got ( and a bit cheaper than €300), I will comment.
    I have a plain Miele,12 years old, now to compare with.
    Dyson advantages : cordless-ideal for stairs, quick jobs around the kitchen and the car.
    Dyson disadvantages : A lot less power, you simply can't vacuum carpet as you can with the Miele.

Thankfully we have the Miele still working. We use the Dyson for tiles and even there it sometimes struggles with grit etc.

I am not sure how much more powerful the V6 is versus the one that I have, but I wouldn't dream of replacing the Miele with it. I think it has a function as (good) second vacuum cleaner.

My colleague has one and he has replaced his normal vacuum with it and seems happy with it.
    I think we all kind of understand a cordless vacuum will never be as powerful as a corded one. It is just the expectation you have when buying it- as with many things.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

In what way is it dying? If it's losing suction, it might as simple as taking it apart and giving it a good service / clean out, maybe some new motor brushes or something. We've got a Miele that's easily 25 years old at this stage and it's as good as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Miele Repairs

I'd say getting your Miele back to spec. should cost less than €299

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    In what way is it dying? If it's losing suction, it might as simple as taking it apart and giving it a good service / clean out, maybe some new motor brushes or something. We've got a Miele that's easily 25 years old at this stage and it's as good as new.

Actually, when I say slowly dying, I mean we have lost a few attachments for the nozzles etc, plus the power cable has stopped retracting.

Both are prob very easily rectified, I was prob just wanting an excuse to trade up. But after reading people's opinions on here, I think I will stick with the trusty miele after all.

Can't imagine it would be too savage a cost for the repair with the cord retracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Actually, when I say slowly dying, I mean we have lost a few attachments for the nozzles etc, plus the power cable has stopped retracting.

Both are prob very easily rectified, I was prob just wanting an excuse to trade up. But after reading people's opinions on here, I think I will stick with the trusty miele after all.

Can't imagine it would be too savage a cost for the repair with the cord retracting.

Everyone likes a bit of retail therapy now and then ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Spare parts are always available for Miele stuff, and the cord not retracting is a DIY fix a lot of the time. There are some videos on Youtube showing what needs to be done. At least with Miele it's usually still possible to take them apart with a screwdriver without breaking them.

I'm a great believer in getting the maximum life out of all my appliances, I hate throwing stuff away.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Forget the dyson

Get a Roomba
    Get a cat
    Get a shark suit for that cat
    Get a duck

Might not be all available at Aldi

For a good long while, Aldi were selling flavoured sausages, under "Mr" brands, for example sweet chilli ones were "Mr Pink".

There was sweet chilli ones, chorizo ones, and a Smokey flavoured flavoured packet also.

The chorizo one in particular was excellent for a sausage and sweet potato pie dish that I make occasionally.

Tried to pick some up over the weekend, and they all seem to be withdrew from sale.

Anyone else see them recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I think those were part of the summer BBQ range. Quite a few other things have gone and were replaced by more seasonable products. I'll expect them to be back in spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

B0jangles wrote: »
    Elderflower cordial is absolutely delicious as a mixer for gin; Lidl did a really nice one like, once about 3 years ago and it never came back. Tesco usually stock the bottlegreen brand cordial, it's a lot more expensive than the Lidl one but at least its always there.

(If you're feeling reeeally swanky you can mix up gin, elderflower cordial and prosecco; so so tasty!)

Prosecco you say!! :D

I got Aldi London dry gin and thumbs up from me too! I bought the elderflower cordial last week, do you mix this with tonic as well or just have cordial and gin on their own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

^^^ Just the gin and cordial, or gin, cordial and prosecco :)

Also a handy stand-in for prosecco is the super-cheap fizzy wine they sell in every french supermarket, my folks always bring a bunch of it back every summer, it costs about 2-3 euro a bottle over there, so if you know anyone who's going to be in France badger them to bring you some cheapy fizzy plonk!

vvv Yes, it's really delicious! vvv

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Gin, cordial and sparkling water works well too.

• Advertisement

Massive jars of piccalilli are in store now, presumably in the run up to Christmas, and its delicious.

Try it with some decent bread/rolls a good slice of cheddar and some of Aldis torchon ham.

Advertisement