Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Sorry hadn't realised you were using a 56k modem. :D
    I used eat those regularly enough until one day about 6 months ago I just started retching...no idea why, but that was the end of them for me

Haha, You've put me off them now!

You sure they weren't 2 and a half years out of date?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I bought the box of porridge sachets yesterday(apple and raisin I think)..had one in work this morning and I thought it was delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Not to everyones taste but the frozen brussel sprouts in Aldi are the best Ive ever had, they're really sweet and taste kind of nutty/savoury, hard to describe. I love them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Finally got the Boyle's gin in Bray Aldi :) Only one bottle left there now, so hurry if you're in Bray and want some!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Anyone spotted the Clarke's honey bourbon or the chocolate Irish cream yet? Hadn't got any on Sunday when I popped in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

I'm normally a beer or bourbon man, but the wife picked up a bottle of "craft red wine" for me from Aldi, which she subtly left in my press.

It comes in a 500ml bottle, with a beer bottle type of cap on it, (12.5%abv) and aldi are marketing it as "wine but not as you know it" (I think that was the slogan)

407Tgk.jpg

Anyway, I popped the cap on my one bottle of red last night, and have to say I thought it was decent enough.

It won't convert me from beer, that's for sure, but it went down nicely during a few episodes of "Narcos" yesterday evening.

There is a review on them here with the reviewer summing up her experience in this paragraph.
    Victoria’s verdict

Of the two dry wines, the red is by far the better by – the white is quite dusty and hardgoing. In both cases the best thing about them is certainly the packaging.

The sweet sparkling moscatos are a different story. I’d steer clear of the white which has a strong taste of freesias, and go for the sparkling pink, which is reminiscent of sweet, juicy table grapes and ripe melon, with a gentle floral fragrance.

Also, nice to see us Irish being horsed as usual, as its €4.99 a bottle here, but £2.99 +/-(€3.50) across the pond.

I'm guessing the tax man is somewhat responsible for that though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

I'm normally a beer or bourbon man, but the wife picked up a bottle of "craft red wine" for me from Aldi, which she subtly left in my press.

It comes in a 500ml bottle, with a beer bottle type of cap on it, (12.5%abv) and aldi are marketing it as "wine but not as you know it" (I think that was the slogan)

407Tgk.jpg

Anyway, I popped the cap on my one bottle of red last night, and have to say I thought it was decent enough.

It won't convert me from beer, that's for sure, but it went down nicely during a few episodes of "Narcos" yesterday evening.

There is a review on them here with the reviewer summing up her experience in this paragraph.

Also, nice to see us Irish being horsed as usual, as its €4.99 a bottle here, but £2.99 +/-(€3.50) across the pond.

I'm guessing the tax man is somewhat responsible for that though?

What a ridiculous product.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

maximum12 wrote: »

I take it you've tried it? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I bought their fancy french brie (Specially Selected packaging I think) recently and have demolished it with himself over the past 2 evenings. Strong enough flavour (not for those who only like very mild brie) and very delicious for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I take it you've tried it? :rolleyes:

They repackaged wine without telling you the blend which is always iffy sign. It is called craft wine. What does that even mean? Are other high quality wines made by independent producers not craft? In fact I bet you they are a lot more craft than cheap blended wine in a cool bottle priced so the kids get drunk cheaply. Nothing wrong with that just don't call it craft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,679 ✭✭✭54and56

meeeeh wrote: »
    They repackaged wine without telling you the blend which is always iffy sign. It is called craft wine. What does that even mean? Are other high quality wines made by independent producers not craft? In fact I bet you they are a lot more craft than cheap blended wine in a cool bottle priced so the kids get drunk cheaply. Nothing wrong with that just don't call it craft.

That's a bit crafty of them ;)

maximum12 wrote: »

Yes and no .

It will appeal to some, and not to others. Pretty much like everything else sold. Ever.

I have never understood rhe whole cheap v expensive thing when it comes to peoples consumption of food and beverages tbh.

Expensive to me doesn't always mean quality, especially when it comes to alcohol.

For example, take 6 x 500ml bottles of Aldis Rhinebacher pilsner @ €7.10 a pack. Its a good beer, 4.9% and leaves me pretty much hangover free next day.

Budweiser 6 x 330ml packs from my Local off license are in and around the tenner mark, and it's a bland beer that is basically headaches in a bottle.

Of course it doesn't just apply to alcohol, the same logic can be applied to everything from food to electronic devices.

In short, extremely clever marketing, results in extreme cases of brand snobbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

They have nice chocolate dipped honeycomb as part of their christmas range. V nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

vicwatson wrote:
    They have nice chocolate dipped honeycomb as part of their christmas range. V nice

They've introduced a load of new products for christmas. Some of it looks delicious. I had to contain myself yesterday from over indulging.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,679 ✭✭✭54and56

Anyone know if their Stollens are any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Have that honeycomb covered in salted chocolate caramel too but didn't try that. Their Christmas range of treats, mince pies, chocolates etc look lovely. Bought a load for Xmas gifts.

Anyone know if their Stollens are any good?

Yes they are. Especially the chocolate covered one's

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Yes and no .

It will appeal to some, and not to others. Pretty much like everything else sold. Ever.

I have never understood rhe whole cheap v expensive thing when it comes to peoples consumption of food and beverages tbh.

Expensive to me doesn't always mean quality, especially when it comes to alcohol.

For example, take 6 x 500ml bottles of Aldis Rhinebacher pilsner @ €7.10 a pack. Its a good beer, 4.9% and leaves me pretty much hangover free next day.

Budweiser 6 x 330ml packs from my Local off license are in and around the tenner mark, and it's a bland beer that is basically headaches in a bottle.

Of course it doesn't just apply to alcohol, the same logic can be applied to everything from food to electronic devices.

In short, extremely clever marketing, results in extreme cases of brand snobbery.

Quality of wine doesn't depend on headache it gives you. There are more complex and less complex wines and produced with different methods and to be drank in different ways. Most of them are complex enough to be paired with food. Price is can be an indicator but definitely not a rule. I come from a wine producing country and I drannk plenty of very good cheap independent wines that could be branded 'craft'.

Wine from unspecified blends in a bottle that can be open with your teeth and is not intended to be drank with food points to marketing tricks to rebrand low quality wine and sell it to kids. It's wine that is not intended for wine drinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Quality of wine doesn't depend on headache it gives you. There are more complex and less complex wines and produced with different methods and to be drank in different ways. Most of them are complex enough to be paired with food. Price is can be an indicator but definitely not a rule. I come from a wine producing country and I drannk plenty of very good cheap independent wines that could be branded 'craft'.

Wine from unspecified blends in a bottle that can be open with your teeth and is not intended to be drank with food points to marketing tricks to rebrand low quality wine and sell it to kids. It's wine that is not intended for wine drinkers.

Off-topic: Went to a wine tasting evening last week. Wines from €9.99 - €59.99 a bottle. Could I taste the difference? Not a jot! (especially the reds). All Emperor's New Clothes me thinks but I could be just a dinosaur. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but we're miles apart on this one.

It is marketed as "wine but not as you know it" so, straight up one would assume its not aimed at someone who wants the "delicate aromas of berries and spices, with a soft undertone of liquorice" and "best served with pork or red meat"

It can be opened with your teeth you say? It comes with a crowned bottle cap, which required the exact same corkscrew, bottle opener that I use to open my wife's sometimes €25+ with. Also plenty of upmarket wines have screw caps on them these days.

Lastly, I wouldn't say its aimed at kids per say. Kids I assume will still go for the Cullens cider x the buckfast, the naggins and the beer.

Believe it or not, I reckon €5 for a half litre of wine might make it pricy enough for some kids.

It is what it is I suppose. Wine trying to be different. Certainly hasn't converted me thought but neither have much, much more expensive bottles from my cold and frothy weekend beers. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Dying to hear what the honeycomb dipped in salted caramel is like. Crack it open there vicwatson :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

We just tried the "craft" red with dinner and was fine. Not bad for a fiver.

The next one we'll try will be the magnum of Argentinian Malbec from the Exquisite range. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Cognac laced mince pies are delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

cloudatlas wrote: »

Oh. I'm not the biggest fan of mince pies (my husband could eat them by the barrel, though), but the added cognac might just sway me.
    I'll give those a try :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

cloudatlas wrote: »

Oh yum! I'm not a huge fan of most christmas sweet things but I do like a good minced pie! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Any good jars of mince in Aldi - for making homemade pies? I've just exhausted the last jar of momma's delicious stuff from last year :)

The Thai prawn fish cakes are the business.

Five stars from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

Frozen Jambons ..... Not sure who the supplier is. Kelly's is what I can recall. Anyways very tasty and 2 pack for 1.49 is great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Macker1 wrote: »
    Frozen Jambons ..... Not sure who the supplier is. Kelly's is what I can recall. Anyways very tasty and 2 pack for 1.49 is great value.

Yeah I love them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Malari wrote:
    Any good jars of mince in Aldi - for making homemade pies? I've just exhausted the last jar of momma's delicious stuff from last year

They've actually had the jars of mincemeat in for ages, honestly I'm nearly sure I saw them all year round!

Advertisement