Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    They've actually had the jars of mincemeat in for ages, honestly I'm nearly sure I saw them all year round!

Oh sure, I've seen them too. I was just wondering if anyone had used them and if they were nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Their duck spring rolls in the party food range are really good. Crispy with loads of hoisin sauce. Could've polished off the whole box ðŸ·

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Just tried the Clarke's Kentucky honey bourbon tonight. Its great for 16.99 compared to over 30 for the jack Daniels version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Slunk wrote:
    Just tried the Clarke's Kentucky honey bourbon tonight. Its great for 16.99 compared to over 30 for the jack Daniels version.

I haven't seen that yet in my Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I just tried the McGraths Reserve Tea bags, they were awful, going back to my Barry's Gold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Whoever recommended the meatballs, I both love and hate you. I#ve eaten waaaay too many since yesterday, just cold straight from the fridge as a snack. Much better than biscuits!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just had the Specially Selected Thin and Crispy Stone Baked Spicy Etna Pizza. For a frozen pizza it's very tasty. It's probably a bit on the greasy side, although the dough itself wasn't greasy if that makes sense. There's a nice kick to it as well. 'Nduja sausage and pepperoni... yum!

401910.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Just had the Specially Selected Thin and Crispy Stone Baked Spicy Etna Pizza. For a frozen pizza it's very tasty. It's probably a bit on the greasy side, although the dough itself wasn't greasy if that makes sense. There's a nice kick to it as well. 'Nduja sausage and pepperoni... yum!

If that's the one that uses olive oil, that may be why its a bit oily.
    There's a nice kick to the sausage alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

The standard mince pies are also good, plump fruit, nice pastry.

Roast chicken slices from the deli are perfect, not water injected like their similar supermarket cousins.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Roast chicken slices from the deli are perfect, not water injected like their similar supermarket cousins.
    Im getting addicted to them, the ones with stuffing running through them, they taste like deli chicken slices used to before everywhere switched to that horrible utterly tasteless slimy crap you get if you order a chicken roll nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thargor wrote: »
    Im getting addicted to them, the ones with stuffing running through them, they taste like deli chicken slices used to before everywhere switched to that horrible utterly tasteless slimy crap you get if you order a chicken roll nowadays.

Are these in where the sliced meat packets are ? Don't remember seeing stuffed chicken slices? In a deli?

Edit - 0h oo I think I know them are they in an orange long thin packet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Finally tried the Specialty Angus Burgers (2 for 2.45 E) excellent, truly one of the best burgers I have ever tasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Had this last night, really tasty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Anyone know the price on that, out of curiosity

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

nkav86 wrote: »

€2.50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Mint thins are exactly like After eights but less than half the price. Your waistline will not thank me!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Their specially selected hot chocolate is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

heldel00 wrote: »
    Mint thins are exactly like After eights but less than half the price. Your waistline will not thank me!

I might be mixing aldi up with lidl, but I think it's aldi that does a mint stick.
    They're gorgeous.
    They look like a skinny cigar, kind of!
    think they're only seasonal though so I'll be stocking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Mint thins are readily available in Lidl but only noticed them in Aldi last week. Taste exactly the same. Maybe they are just seasonal in Aldi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

cloudatlas wrote: »

That doesn't apply to prices here.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/lidl-and-aldi-to-hold-prices-in-republic-despite-sterling-slide-1.2879777

"Shoppers in the Republic will not be affected by the decision of Aldi and Lidl to raise the price of basic groceries in the UK due to the post-Brexit sterling collapse."

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

401910.jpg

I had the Romagna one of these tonight, wowza! I'm not mad about frozen pizzas but needed something quick and this was surprisingly delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭tringle

The gingerbread popcorn and the parsnip crisps are good, Im stocking up for xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Specially selected Turkey breast slices are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone try the specially selected chocolate cream liquor? I like the original liqueur cream so just wondering if the chocolate is nice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I noticed that they're now doing a camembert for baking that comes with a chutney or something to serve with - has anyone tried it?

I was tempted but trying to eat healthier so a bit plate of cheese wasn't an option but could be a Christmas treat if it's nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

fin12 wrote: »
    Anyone try the specially selected chocolate cream liquor? I like the original liqueur cream so just wondering if the chocolate is nice?
    I have, its gorgeous, its like a lighter/less rich version of the Belgian Chocolate Baileys.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

nkav86 wrote: »

2.49ea, I actually prefer the Goats cheese and spinach version, called Caprino Verde. The Romagna is salami and rocket.
    They are all decent for frozen pizza though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I find their firelighters very good. They seem to have changed the packaging recently, hopefully that's all that changed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Bought a few bottles of this "Christmas beer" last night.

CKAyIN.jpg

erQkXK.jpg

Really, really good. 5/5 from me.

Advertisement