Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Tried that beer before, bland enough imo, they do much nicer beers though

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

Their Specially selected roast potatoes (in a black bag) in the freezer. They are already cooked in either duck fat or goose fat (I can't remember) are absolutely yum. Last year was my first attempt at proper roast potatoes this year I'll be reaching for the Aldi bag.

Everything you could wish for crispy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside and a lot flavour. It got the thumbs up from three generations in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Rogueish wrote: »
    Their Specially selected roast potatoes (in a black bag) in the freezer. They are already cooked in either duck fat or goose fat (I can't remember) are absolutely yum. Last year was my first attempt at proper roast potatoes this year I'll be reaching for the Aldi bag.

Everything you could wish for crispy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside and a lot flavour. It got the thumbs up from three generations in our house.

Do you recall how they much are please?
    If they're very cheap I might try them.

Just wonder, as I really don't know why people buy any type of pre roasted potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

ellejay wrote: »
    Do you recall how they much are please?
    If they're very cheap I might try them.

Just wonder, as I really don't know why people buy any type of pre roasted potatoes.

I think they were 99c last time I bought them

EDIT - They were €1.49

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

The chocolate cream liquer is delicious. Also tried the specially selected potato gratin and also the frozen vegetarian meals. Tried the parsnip and nut roast. Was very tasty for a frozen vegetarian meal. Have the mushroom wellingtons in the freezer for another day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Slunk wrote: »
    The chocolate cream liquer is delicious. Also tried the specially selected potato gratin and also the frozen vegetarian meals. Tried the parsnip and nut roast. Was very tasty for a frozen vegetarian meal. Have the mushroom wellingtons in the freezer for another day.

Must give these a go. The wife would love them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Must give these a go. The wife would love them

I'm not a veggie myself, the oh is. Its hard to find much decent stuff and does be very bland but this was quite tasty and I'd definatley have it again. I'll keep you updated on the mushroom wellingtons.
    Also the winter berry cheesecake is vegetarian friendly. Haven't tried it but looks decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The potato gratin is superb. I see it also has a Blas na hÉireann sticker on it now. Some of the Aldi prices are really good for great products.

I have been drinking the Clontarf whiskey lately. Nice on a cold night. €18 I think. A bottle of Jameson in Tesco is something close to €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Sweet potato fries are gone, all gone. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Their chicken breast kievs are excellent. Not the pressed ones, these are labelled "muscle chicken". They're full breast portions with part of the wing still attached and €3.49 for two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

ellejay wrote:
    Do you recall how they much are please? If they're very cheap I might try them.

They're in Goose fat and they cost 1.49

• Registered Users Posts: 11,256 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

The white chocolate that they have is outrageously good, nicer than most premium white chocolate bars.

Also, their home made pizza near the lasagne (also good) are fantastic too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

The potato gratin is superb. I see it also has a Blas na hÉireann sticker on it now.

It absolutely is. Don't TOUCH the Lidl one with a barge pole though. Vile. I couldn't get the Aldi one one day so picked up the Lidl one thinking they'd surely be very similar. Eh, no! The Lidl one was tasteless and hard regardless of following cooking instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,017 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The dark wholenut chocolate is really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Duck Spring Rolls from their party food are lovely for 1.30 IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Feck yez. I'm starving now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Just had the mushroom wellingtons, tenderstem broccoli on the side, bloody gorgeous definitely a handy weekday dinner..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It absolutely is. Don't TOUCH the Lidl one with a barge pole though. Vile. I couldn't get the Aldi one one day so picked up the Lidl one thinking they'd surely be very similar. Eh, no! The Lidl one was tasteless and hard regardless of following cooking instructions.

Weird that, as I thought the lidl deluxe potato gratin with emmental cheese were nice but pricey at €2.49

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Sweet potato fries are gone, all gone. :(

I looked for them for weeks, and they were finally in stock this week. I bought two bags :). But they're irritatingly high in calories, for sweet potato fries, so I'm not sure I can justify buying them regularly as opposed to making my own. They are delish though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Faith wrote: »
    I looked for them for weeks, and they were finally in stock this week. I bought two bags :). But they're irritatingly high in calories, for sweet potato fries, so I'm not sure I can justify buying them regularly as opposed to making my own. They are delish though!

Higher in calories than normal oven chips? They're so thin and crispy, they must have some sort of coating on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Life's too short to be worrying about calories.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Higher in calories than normal oven chips? They're so thin and crispy, they must have some sort of coating on them.

No, higher than homemade sweet potato chips :).

I think they're coated with something to make them crispy alright, and plenty of fat, which would explain the deliciousness and the calories! They were quite close to some of the better ones I've had cooked in a fryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Their chicken breast kievs are excellent. Not the pressed ones, these are labelled "muscle chicken". They're full breast portions with part of the wing still attached and €3.49 for two.

Oh I so agree these are one of my favourite Aldi products, the Lemon and Pepper version is also very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Sweet potato fries are gone, all gone.

Asked in the Kildare store and they said they were removed to make way for Christmas stock and will be back in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

How do you figure out the calories for your ones?

They way I would properly compare is to get values for regular sweet potatoes, weigh the freshly cut chips, measure the oil you added and figure out the calories after they are cooked. They will drop in weight a lot and so be more calorie dense. To figure out the oil that has gone in I would weigh the baking dish and note it, add say 20g of oil, then after cooking if it the tray weighs 5g more then you know 15g of oil went into them.

Most frozen chips or wedges are partially cooked already, so the water weight will be lowered

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=292140335

You can see the oven baked calories increase a lot compared to the frozen calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Life's too short to be worrying about calories.

But maybe that's why life's too short! :pac:

All the special xmas food that's come in is really making my weekly shopping a stressful experience!
    So much choice and want to put in! :o
    I want it all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

God damn Aldi and teasing us with the Sweet Potato Fries. Was wondering how long it would be till they started doing them. Got them 2 weeks in a row but then they were completely gone on Sunday this week, not even a sign with empty space. Wonder will they keep doing them??

On the bright side they brought back the chocolate puddings - By far the best desert :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

A friend has just posted on Facebook. Just back from Aldi and he purchased salted caramel mince pies and chocolate orange mince pies! Has anyone tasted these wonders? I know where I'm going tomorrow anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I think they're coated with something to make them crispy alright, and plenty of fat, which would explain the deliciousness and the calories! They were quite close to some of the better ones I've had cooked in a fryer.

Anyone know how the calories compare to the Strong Roots ones (140 kcal per 100g)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

deco72 wrote:
    God damn Aldi and teasing us with the Sweet Potato Fries. Was wondering how long it would be till they started doing them. Got them 2 weeks in a row but then they were completely gone on Sunday this week, not even a sign with empty space. Wonder will they keep doing them??

Back after Christmas.

Advertisement