Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Anyone know how the calories compare to the Strong Roots ones (140 kcal per 100g)?

204 calories per 100g in the Aldi ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Faith wrote: »
    204 calories per 100g in the Aldi ones.
    is that cooked or frozen though. The roots ones do not state it, so I would presume it is uncooked, to exaggerate how low they are. I think if nothing is stated it should be presumed it is calories per gram "as sold".

http://strongroots.ie/products/

they also quote a laughably small serving size, 80g. I wish they were all legally obliged to show photos of the portion quoted poured on a flat table next to a ruler.

I used to weigh food quite a bit to figure out calories and note them, biggest chipper bag of chips I ever got was just over 800g, which is certainly huge, others were typically 460g or so.

In five guys the small/reg/large in the UK are 227/411/567g

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

A friend has just posted on Facebook. Just back from Aldi and he purchased salted caramel mince pies and chocolate orange mince pies! Has anyone tasted these wonders? I know where I'm going tomorrow anyway.

I saw them the other day and pondered a purchase. I'm just not sure whether they'll be delicious, clashing or pure flavour overload!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

I have the orange ones....I'll let you know when I've devoured the lot

Edit:
    I didn't. Firstly, they are very short dated, 3 days left and the pastry was a little dry, the choc taste was present but the orange was too strong....wouldn't rush to finish the 3 pies I left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

BuffyBot wrote: »
    I saw them the other day and pondered a purchase. I'm just not sure whether they'll be delicious, clashing or pure flavour overload!

Don't mess with a classic would be my view!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Their dates are very short alright. I bought the frangipane ones in the end and there's just over a week on them. Bought some brandy butter to go with them. Uncork the red wine and I'm sorted for the toy show.

I really need to get out more!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Anyone have issues with best before dates...3 times now in last few weeks I gone to use various poultry products to find they have definitely gone off two-three days before BBD ...I have returned products and got replacement no problem and I have checked my own fridge to make sure that was ok...
    It happened me before where for a few weeks the meat in my shopping was not lasting...girl at till said I wasn't the first to return chicken that day...so any idea what the issue could be ...poor storage in shop ?

harr wrote: »
    Anyone have issues with best before dates...3 times now in last few weeks I gone to use various poultry products to find they have definitely gone off two-three days before BBD ...I have returned products and got replacement no problem and I have checked my own fridge to make sure that was ok...
    It happened me before where for a few weeks the meat in my shopping was not lasting...girl at till said I wasn't the first to return chicken that day...so any idea what the issue could be ...poor storage in shop ?

It's happened to me quite a few times with chicken. I don't buy chicken there anymore now unless I'm literally going to use it that day. I was given a full refund with no quibbles, but that's really not the point. It shouldn't be happening in the first place when the meat is still in date.

It's happened to me quite a few times with chicken. I don't buy chicken there anymore now unless I'm literally going to use it that day. I was given a full refund with no quibbles, but that's really not the point. It shouldn't be happening in the first place when the meat is still in date.
    It would definitely make you wonder why it's going off so soon ....the free range chicken I got last week was rotten..I purchased it on a Saturday went to use it on the Monday it still had two days left before BBD ...other meat and fish seems ok even up to BBD ....

It would definitely make you wonder why it's going off so soon ....the free range chicken I got last week was rotten..I purchased it on a Saturday went to use it on the Monday it still had two days left before BBD ...other meat and fish seems ok even up to BBD ....

Agree. I've bought mince, fish, lamb even sausages and have never had an issue. Have bought Angus steak a few times and it was always perfect.

I'm curious myself to know what's going on with the chicken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I only buy chicken there if I'm using it same day too. Never any problem with any other meat product.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It's happened to me quite a few times with chicken..
    the free range chicken I got last week was rotten.
    Was this a full chicken, or chicken fillets? I can't remember the last time I got a dodgy full chicken, I usually buy them in tesco or dunnes. I gave up buying any fresh fillets in pack sizes I would not use in 1-2days, and they would have to be very well in date themselves.
    Agree. I've bought mince, fish, lamb even sausages and have never had an issue. Have bought Angus steak a few times and it was always perfect.
    The sausages should be fairly ok, and I would certainly have no issues with steak. I would not touch the likes of fish or chicken if it was being sold off cheap on, or the day before its use by date.

Most supermarket fridges are a few degrees higher than what most people have at home. If chicken arrives in a shop and has a use by of say 5 days away, if you buy that and put it in a 2C fridge at home it will be way better off in 4-5 days time than if in an open supermarket fridge for 4-5 days. This is why I am always very careful to root through packs and get the ones with furthest away dates. 2 days difference/degradation in a warmer supermarket fridge could be equivalent 4-5 days in a decent fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

The one thing I like about Xmas is the fact that Aldis range of meats and cheeses explodes at this time of year.
    Currently enjoying their Specially selected mature cheddar with balsamic onion and rioja ...it's absolutely wonderful!

As for chicken, it can be any one of a number of things as to why it's off.
    Been left out too long between the chill truck and the chill room during delivery.
    Over packed fridges, even though the temp can say 3-4° the reality is, inside the fridge it's 6-8°
    People taking chicken out for a "walk" around the store..and then putting them back...or leaving them in the bread aisle and a member of staff putting them back in the fridge.(last one is unlikely with aldi staff)

rubadub wrote: »
    Was this a full chicken, or chicken fillets? I can't remember the last time I got a dodgy full chicken, I usually buy them in tesco or dunnes. I gave up buying any fresh fillets in pack sizes I would not use in 1-2days, and they would have to be very well in date themselves.

The sausages should be fairly ok, and I would certainly have no issues with steak. I would not touch the likes of fish or chicken if it was being sold off cheap on, or the day before its use by date.

Most supermarket fridges are a few degrees higher than what most people have at home. If chicken arrives in a shop and has a use by of say 5 days away, if you buy that and put it in a 2C fridge at home it will be way better off in 4-5 days time than if in an open supermarket fridge for 4-5 days. This is why I am always very careful to root through packs and get the ones with furthest away dates. 2 days difference/degradation in a warmer supermarket fridge could be equivalent 4-5 days in a decent fridge.
    It was a full free range chicken...landed it back to them very clear it was gone off ... Manager was very apologetic and no problem with refund but the cashier did comment it wasn't the first one back...I am always very careful with dates I do try get BBD so I get a weeks dinners from what ever I buy....sometimes if the date Is shorter than I like I will obviously use that first or pop it into the freezer...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

They have small cheese truckles at 0.89c at the mo, 5 different varieties, part of the christmas range I think, the Mature Cheddar (black) one is amaze balls, as is the Double Gloucester (green) one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Who Ever recommend the choc-orange mince pies owes me a pair of jeans with a bigger waist band.

Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Who Ever recommend the choc-orange mince pies owes me a pair of jeans with a bigger waist band.

Delicious.

I hate mince pies, but love choc orange.

I feel I must try these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Started working in am office right above an aldi about 2 months back.

- Can't argue with a €1.30 sandwich if you need food on the go, not too filling but chicken and bacon chicken/stuffing are grand.

- Their 'nutty mix' and seed bags are great, can get 250g of walnuts/almonds/Brazil nuts/macademias/seeds/dried cranberries for €3. For whatever reason in Toronto where I was until just before I started working there you'd be lucky to get that for under $10 so I'm grateful!!

- Their chocolate Viennese biscuits are seriously nice and only 99c for a pack of 10, their Cadburys Marvellous Creations ripoff bars are also quite decent for (I think) 79c, though could be 1.79.

- They also do jambons which I love for a hangover cure or late night snack, €1.50 for two of them. Those guys are very nice, and I'm usually not a fan of frozen food like pizzas, etc.

- Also to go with the above, Del Riva is maybe the next best orange juice to Tropicana I've found (of the mass produced stuff at least) and comes in at €1.50 for a litre carton, so half/less than half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ What's jawbone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

^ What's jawbone?

Jambon I assume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

^And back band chocken/stuffing?

^ What's jawbone?

Jambons, fecking autocorrect! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Its probably only for Christmas but they've a new range of beers by Harpers Brewing Co.
    The Golden ale is very nice and at 1.79 a pop, good value.
    I haven't tried any of the dearer ones in the other range of beers yet but I'm tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

The Thai Prawn 'fish cakes' are hotttt, if thats what you're into

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

The Thai Prawn 'fish cakes' are hotttt, if thats what you're into

They're excellent. Really good value.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Their chocolate Viennese biscuits are seriously nice and only 99c for a pack of 10, their Cadburys Marvellous Creations ripoff bars are also quite decent for (I think) 79c, though could be 1.79.

Ooo I really like marvellous creation bars :) what flavour are aldi's versions? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The almond flake topped mince tarts (in a green coloured box) are pretty addictive

Anyone get frozen turkey last year for Christmas ...if so what was Quality like ?
    I really don't want to **** the Christmas dinner 😬

Ooo I really like marvellous creation bars :) what flavour are aldi's versions? :)

Just checked there, Crunchy biscuity one and 'popping cabdy' (which it the one I bought, also has jellies in it). EDIT: 200g bar.

They're €1.79 by the way, got confused by the Racer bars directly below them for 69c. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

I've had the cookies one. It was very nice!

Advertisement