Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

:confused:

Sold out since Thursday. There were about 40 there at 5:00 on Thursday in Mallow and were all gone before 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Aldi had scented candles apparently the same as Jo Malone except about 10% of the cost. Picked up 2 for the war at home, she's ecstatic.

Yep same scent, even called the same ie Lime, Basil & Mandarin etc, I got the Pomegranate Noir and it's spot on 4.99 for a large double wick candle, a Jo one would cost about 200 +

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

They've changed the cat food.
    My moggy is not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

My moggy is not happy.

Nein out of 10 cats prefer it, I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My moggy is not happy.

So have Lidl.
    Fussy moggy not happy.
    Greedy moggy thrilled as he eats hers too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Sold out since Thursday. There were about 40 there at 5:00 on Thursday in Mallow and were all gone before 6.

They might have some in my local...I hope :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

The chocolate orange mince pies have become very, very elusive.

What is the correct etiquette for ensuring you can actually buy more of them? Just an empty space in my local Aldi this past week or so.

Are they a "first thing in the morning" item?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The chocolate orange mince pies have become very, very elusive.

What is the correct etiquette for ensuring you can actually buy more of them? Just an empty space in my local Aldi this past week or so.

Are they a "first thing in the morning" item?
    Aldi have an annoying habit of shipping different products in the same range 50/50 in the one box and then not adjusting the quantities based on customer demand, so you get left with no chocolate peanuts for weeks while the chocolate raisins sit there uneaten, same for the apple/cranberry sauce in jars, apple disappears straight away, cranberry sits there all year, the same thing is probably going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Thargor wrote: »
    Aldi have an annoying habit of shipping different products in the same range 50/50 in the one box and then not adjusting the quantities based on customer demand, so you get left with no chocolate peanuts for weeks while the chocolate raisins sit there uneaten, same for the apple/cranberry sauce in jars, apple disappears straight away, cranberry sits there all year, the same thing is probably going on here.
    Agreed. In my local Aldi you can go weeks without Horseradish and Tartare sauces - usually all that's left is Apple and Mint. There was no cranberry either yesterday. I suspect the sub-par restaurant of the nearby hotel is buying them up. I've seen one of their chefs, in uniform, buying large quantities of frozen fish there.
    Same with tinned herrings in tomato sauce - these get snapped up and you're left with other flavours that I don't like.
    It seems like a strange strategy by Aldi but they don't make many mistakes and this must work for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

The smoked Scottish venison is gorgeous,....Told my 8yo daughter it was smoked ham and she scoffed it all bar 2 slices which I had.....Then showed her the packaging and told her she has just eaten Rudolph!!!
    :D

Father of the year award awaits!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I couldn't find the candles mentioned here. I'd say they were snapped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I couldn't find the candles mentioned here. I'd say they were snapped up.

Not sure where you are but there were lots in maynooth today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

yellow hen wrote: »
    Not sure where you are but there were lots in maynooth today

Cork city. I might look again or try a different store during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Cork city. I might look again or try a different store during the week.

Will you post on here if you find them..thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I tried a new bread in Aldi lately.

It is a specially selected wheaten sliced bread.

Even nicer than the Ploughing Championship Bread Winner one that they stocked for a while.

The bread is really soft and has a lovely sweetness.

https://www.aldi.ie/p/67557/0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

,....Told my 8yo daughter it was smoked ham and she scoffed it all bar 2 slices which I had.....Then showed her the packaging and told her she has just eaten Rudolph!!!
    :D

Ay Curumba .... you tricked her into eating Rudolph.....there are places in hell for people like you.
    :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Ay Curumba .... you tricked her into eating Rudolph.....there are places in hell for people like you.
    :P

I also have the marinaded ostrich steaks for tomorrow .......
    "We're having big chicken tonight"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I tried a new bread in Aldi lately.

It is a specially selected wheaten sliced bread.

Even nicer than the Ploughing Championship Bread Winner one that they stocked for a while.

The bread is really soft and has a lovely sweetness.

https://www.aldi.ie/p/67557/0

Its nice but I find it very sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Its nice but I find it very sweet.

Depends on your tastes but most breads are very bland. This sort of reminds me of treacle bread with its sweetness.

You're a monster ..... why dont you tell her all the wonder animal that go into hot dogs while you are at it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Kangaroo leg steaks from LIDL next?:D

Kangaroo leg steaks from LIDL next?:D

You remember, Mark Hammond from the Skippy TV show? he went on to market Kangaroo meat in the professional life

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Their macaroons for I think 3.99 are very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I have just tried the new Ploughing Championship brown bread, not impressed at all, very bland. Likewise last year's was tasteless as well. Neither is a patch on McCambridge's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

The salted caramel cream is AMAZING! "Drools"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

The salted caramel cream is AMAZING! "Drools"[/QUOTE
    Tell me more sounds lovely...i take it is in with the regular creams...or is it ice cream

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Have to recommend the Azarra White Wine. It's €4.99 a bottle and it's really lovely. Not too fruity, slightly dry, and very yummy.
    Stocking up for Christmas! I'll also pick up some of their Kooliburra Shiraz for €5.49 a bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

harr wrote: »
    The salted caramel cream is AMAZING! "Drools"[/QUOTE
    Tell me more sounds lovely...i take it is in with the regular creams...or is it ice cream

Unfortunately it's only here for Xmas so get it while you can. It's in the fridge with the brandy cream and brandy butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

After a small accident involving a full litre of Bailey's, being dropped six foot from a kitchen press, (thankfully not by me) I discovered that my wife cannot tell the difference in Bailey's and Aldis "specially selected, Irish cream liquer" taste.

I can't remember, but I think it cost me €7.99 for the bottle, and I know I bought the Bailey's for €24.

They also do another one called "Ballycastle" which is cheaper again, but the wife said was nowhere near as nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

After a small accident involving a full litre of Bailey's, being dropped six foot from a kitchen press, (thankfully not by me) I discovered that my wife cannot tell the difference in Bailey's and Aldis "specially selected, Irish cream liquer" taste.

They also do another one called "Ballycastle" which is cheaper again, but the wife said was nowhere near as nice.

I can't remember, but I think it cost me €7.99 for the bottle, and I know I bought the Bailey's for €24.

Delux is 8.99 and is as good.IMO.
    Baileys was everywhere for 12 before Xmas.

Advertisement