Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Seen a load of new desserts in Aldi (Blessington) yesterday evening, I think they were Ganache

Anyway, the had (iirc) lemon zest, chocolate and salted caramel, and chocolate orange ones.

Has anyone tried them yet?

Im training at the mminute, so had to fight the urge :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

Got some delicious new yogurts last night, Skyr, low fat and very tasty.
    Plus sweet potato fries

• Registered Users Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

ellejay wrote: »
    How did your curry go
    'Twas gorgeous!

Will definitely be doing that again, but trying to make it a bit more liquid next time and more veggies to lighten it up a bit.

Got three dinners out of it. Easily the best jar-assisted meal I've had in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Jrop wrote: »
    Got some delicious new yogurts last night, Skyr, low fat and very tasty.
    Plus sweet potato fries

Aldi doing skyr now too? I was getting some in lidl and were nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Has anyone tried the new 0% fat greek yogurt for €1.79? How does it compare to the glenisk or fage versions? Sometimes it can be quite thin, like the liberté stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Space Dog

:eek: Low fat greek yogurt? Skyr?
    I hate the Lidl skyr, it's way too sweet, and branded skyr is so expensive, so I need to check Aldi soon... although we never seem to get that stuff in the west, have been looking for the sweet potato fries in four Aldis in Galway and Mayo, no luck :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Space Dog wrote: »
    :eek: Low fat greek yogurt? Skyr?
    I hate the Lidl skyr, it's way too sweet, and branded skyr is so expensive, so I need to check Aldi soon... although we never seem to get that stuff in the west, have been looking for the sweet potato fries in four Aldis in Galway and Mayo, no luck :(

The Aldis in Westside and Knocknacarra definitely have Sweet Potato Fries. However, they disappeared over the Xmas period and have only recently returned. Maybe you were looking during the time they had made way for "festive" offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

The Aldis in Westside and Knocknacarra definitely have Sweet Potato Fries. However, they disappeared over the Xmas period and have only recently returned. Maybe you were looking during the time they had made way for "festive" offerings.

They are in an end freezer with other Specially Selected frozen stuff not with the cheaper chips, wedges etc. in Sligo Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I was only in the ones on the Headford Road and in Oranmore plus Mayo over the last two weeks, they didn't have them. I'll check the one in Westside then, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

vicwatson wrote: »
    Aldi doing skyr now too? I was getting some in lidl and were nice.

Aldi are making a serious effort recently and added a lot of new products. You never know what you might find in there these days....very impressive range imo

Found these on their Twitter....Im not a weirdo taking pics of thier stock :D
    C2ZVDO6XcAEhBBj.jpg
    C2NaXLYXgAEjRhF.jpg
    C1rHTo5WIAE2Eqa.jpg
    C1vSM6oWQAAgqAr.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Is the rice milk an offer or a new regular? I picked up a few cartons of it myself.

Is the rice milk an offer or a new regular? I picked up a few cartons of it myself.

Not sure. How does it taste?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Seen a load of new desserts in Aldi (Blessington) yesterday evening, I think they were Ganache

Anyway, the had (iirc) lemon zest, chocolate and salted caramel, and chocolate orange ones.

Has anyone tried them yet?

Im training at the mminute, so had to fight the urge :mad:

Picked up a Salted Caramel one, eating it now, its divine. Looking forward to trying the chic orange one next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Not sure. How does it taste?

I like the taste of it myself but I don't use/like cows milk at all so I'm perhaps not the best judge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,443 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

foodaholic wrote: »
    Their dry age steaks in the black box are fab

I always thought they were ****e...for the same price I get the ones in Dunnes and they're far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Blackangel

Space Dog wrote: »
    I was only in the ones on the Headford Road and in Oranmore plus Mayo over the last two weeks, they didn't have them. I'll check the one in Westside then, thanks!

They had them in oranmore on Tuesday, they were in an end freezer in the middle of the freezer section where it divides beside roast potatoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Dopiaza curry sauce is a gem.

Fry some onions and finely chop a bit of ginger, a pinch of chili powder, get a pack of aldi frozen cooked King prawns, throw the jar in and some chunky slices of tomatoe and a bunch of coriander.Serve with basmati rice.

Goooooood.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Finally got around to cooking a chicken korma with a jar of sauce/spices that's been in my cupboard for months, it having been recommended on here even more months ago than that.....

Have to say it smells and looks delicious!

I threw a pot of natural yoghurt in to cook with it, as it looked incredibly thick and gloopy at the start - not sure if that was the wisest move I ever made, but it still looks good and has LOADS of sauce now.

Will report back on how it actually tastes later when I heat it up for dinner in work. Yum!! :)

On the back of the success of the korma, I got two more jars of the sauce/spices (chilli and butter chicken), and did up a pot of chilli tonight - and it was deeeelicious! I'd even got tins of tomatoes and kidney beans to add just in case, but they weren't needed.

Made the mistake of using Uncle Ben's microwave rice (what was I thinking :confused:) and that was crap - looking forward to the chilli being even nicer tomorrow with proper rice or tortillas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Don't know if it's been mentioned but at the price it is, the Workzone chainsaw is superb.

Can get a spare chain for €15 as well.

Keep an eye out for it in specials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

gaius c wrote:
    Don't know if it's been mentioned but at the price it is, the Workzone chainsaw is superb.

Is it petrol or electric and how much?

• Advertisement

gaius c wrote: »

Can get a spare chain for €15 as well.

Keep an eye out for it in specials.

Sounds delicious...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Is it petrol or electric and how much?

Electric. Was €70.
    Sure you'd pay that just to hire one for a weekend.

@deadanon
    It's outstanding with rapeseed oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

gaius c wrote:
    Electric. Was €70. Sure you'd pay that just to hire one for a weekend.

Cheers.
    I saw them before Xmas.
    I'm on the lookout for a cheap petrol model.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Cheers.
    I saw them before Xmas.
    I'm on the lookout for a cheap petrol model.

Well you won't find one here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,414 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Aldi are making a serious effort recently and added a lot of new products. You never know what you might find in there these days....very impressive range imo

Found these on their Twitter....Im not a weirdo taking pics of thier stock :D
    C2ZVDO6XcAEhBBj.jpg
    C2NaXLYXgAEjRhF.jpg
    C1rHTo5WIAE2Eqa.j
    C1vSM6oWQAAAr.jpg

Sweet potatoe fries were 3 quid a bag so I didn't risk it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    'Twas gorgeous!

Will definitely be doing that again, but trying to make it a bit more liquid next time and more veggies to lighten it up a bit.

Got three dinners out of it. Easily the best jar-assisted meal I've had in ages.

What veggies do you use?

Zelda247 wrote: »
    What veggies do you use?
    I used onions and red peppers. If I'd got my act together I might try sugar snap peas next time.

Open to any other suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Getting adventurous these days, seeing the deli style sections in Aldi ( and LIDL) ]

Aldi now do sandwiches too; a great triple pack for uner E2

And a range of salads with pasta. Things it would not pay to make if you are on your own

This week had had the tangy cheese pasta salad and wish I had bought two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Aldi are now doing their own brand version of Shredded Wheat! I've been waiting so long for them to! I saw them last night on the Long Mile road so I grabbed a box. Haven't tried them yet but I'll be having them for breakfast tomorrow so I'll report back :pac:

• Advertisement

cosmic wrote: »
    Aldi are now doing their own brand version on Shredded Wheat! I've been waiting so long for them to! I saw them last night on the Long Mile road so I grabbed a box. Haven't tried them yet but I'll be having them for breakfast tomorrow so I'll report back :pac:

"Malted wheats"???

Have had them forever. They are perfectly grand at half the price of branded ones.

Advertisement