Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Their green bean salad tubs ( in the chilled / coleslaw etc section ) is to die for. Perfect for lunch or a snack. Lovely crunchy veg and a separate tub of dressing that is so tasty I'm gonna try recreate it at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Their green bean salad tubs ( in the chilled / coleslaw etc section ) is to die for. Perfect for lunch or a snack. Lovely crunchy veg and a separate tub of dressing that is so tasty I'm gonna try recreate it at home.

Their salad tubs in general are great. New to me totally. The tangy cheese pasta salad.... will look for the green beans tomorrow!

They do great sandwiches too; a triple pack on malted bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,763 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Anyone tried the new frozen "dine" range of ready meals? Just saw them in my local ALDI today.
    They had a moussaka, and a slow cooked beef one, amongst others.
    Priced €5 I think, serves two.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I had the slow cooked beef one the other night, it was only okay, I actually thought it was 2 meals in one packet but its meat and sauce in one bowl and a load of mash in the other, it was alright I suppose, if you've ever had that weak stroganoff they serve in factory canteens its like that. It says serves 2 but you'd want to have a starter and a dessert aswell with it if you're splitting it between two because those would be seriously small portions.

Had the specially selected Madras curry tonight, just chopped up chicken breast with a diced onion and peas all thrown in a pan. I had a lightbulb moment and used the spice sachet as a powder rub for the chicken before I threw it in the pan, came out perfect, lovely and hot restaurant quality curry, it was giving me the sweats the way other curry jars just dont match, had to drink a litre of milk with it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Thargor wrote: »
    Had the specially selected Madras curry tonight, just chopped up chicken breast with a diced onion and peas all thrown in a pan. I had a lightbulb moment and used the spice sachet as a powder rub for the chicken before I threw it in the pan, came out perfect, lovely and hot restaurant quality curry, it was giving me the sweats the way other curry jars just dont match, had to drink a litre of milk with it :D

My favourite curry sauce. It's fab, isn't it?
    I did try the Balti & Jalfrezi ones but to me they were a bit sweet and nowhere near as spicy so I only buy the Madras one now.

We have it every Friday night with rice...and some cold Sauvignon Blanc.

I said to my other half that you really wouldn't be able to tell it from a restaurant curry.

Its near perfect tbh, completely different level to anything else that comes in a jar and also one of the cheapest and you get the pot of powdered spice with it, thank God for Aldi. Lidl have an identical Madras jar with a spice pot in their Deluxe range which Ill try next time just to see but Ive found my favourite curry now.

Its near perfect tbh, completely different level to anything else that comes in a jar and also one of the cheapest and you get the pot of powdered spice with it, thank God for Aldi. Lidl have an identical Madras jar with a spice pot in their Deluxe range which Ill try next time just to see but Ive found my favourite curry now.

Yeah I saw those in Lidl. Might try them myself and see how they compare.
    But yes the price is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,679 ✭✭✭54and56

fussyonion wrote: »
    My favourite curry sauce. It's fab, isn't it?
    I did try the Balti & Jalfrezi ones but to me they were a bit sweet and nowhere near as spicy so I only buy the Madras one now.

We have it every Friday night with rice...and some cold Sauvignon Blanc.

I said to my other half that you really wouldn't be able to tell it from a restaurant curry.

Does it work well with diced lamb? Would it need to be done in a slow cooker for diced lamb? Would minced lamb work for a quick curry?

(have to have lamb in a curry or possibly mutton or goat, never chicken!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

The Lidl version of the madras is nowhere near as good as the aldi one, it has that nasty 'jar curry' aftertaste - avoid!

• Advertisement

fussyonion wrote: »
    Yeah I saw those in Lidl. Might try them myself and see how they compare.
    But yes the price is incredible.

Lidl is always my first port of call when I shop and I am always amazed at the checkout at how much food I have for so little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Graces7 wrote:
    Lidl is always my first port of call when I shop and I am always amazed at the checkout at how much food I have for so little.

You should try Aldi. Much better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭rorymcgrory

Zelda247 wrote: »
    i have just moved into an area where there is an Aldi, i am not really familiar with the store, what do you recommend of their products.

Don't bother buying fruit or veg. Desperate quality and goes bad after a couple of days.

Don't bother buying fruit or veg. Desperate quality and goes bad after a couple of days.

All my fruit and vegetables come from Aldi, never had any issues in 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,414 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Just to be 100% sure this is what some people referred to re: the Korma in Adli:

http://img.tesco.com/Groceries/pi/024/5011308505024/IDShot_540x540.jpg

Its amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Does it work well with diced lamb? Would it need to be done in a slow cooker for diced lamb? Would minced lamb work for a quick curry?

(have to have lamb in a curry or possibly mutton or goat, never chicken!!)

I use lamb mince and throw in some peas or spinach towards the end. One of our favourite fast meals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

noodler wrote: »
    Just to be 100% sure this is what some people referred to re: the Korma in Adli:

http://img.tesco.com/Groceries/pi/024/5011308505024/IDShot_540x540.jpg

Its amazing.

I don't think that's the one, I looked back through the thread and I think it's the own brand aldi one with a separate packet of dry spices on top of the lid.

edit: this one:
    LrSX1s6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

B0jangles wrote: »
    I don't think that's the one, I looked back through the thread and I think it's the own brand aldi one with a separate packet of dry spices on top of the lid.

LrSX1s6.jpg

That's the one I was on about anyway.

Also tried the chilli con carne one and it was even better (although I had an almighty battle to get the spices bit to separate from the lid, nearly amputated a finger in the process :eek:). Have the butter chicken one in the cupboard to try next, I have VERY high expectations!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Have the butter chicken one in the cupboard to try next, I have VERY high expectations!
    I'd be interested to hear how you find this one.

I picked up the Pataks one last week so we're going to try it this evening and see what it is like. Hopefully it is nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Had fish monger smoked mackerel fillets the other night.

I would definitely recommend them, Ive been trying to introduce more fish into the diet and these are very tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,414 ✭✭✭✭noodler

B0jangles wrote: »

LrSX1s6.jpg

Cool, will try it.

The cheap one is great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'd be interested to hear how you find this one.

I picked up the Pataks one last week so we're going to try it this evening and see what it is like. Hopefully it is nice :)

I've kind of overdosed on curry-type dishes lately so it may be a while before i use it, but I'll definitely report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Had fish monger smoked mackerel fillets the other night.

I would definitely recommend them, Ive been trying to introduce more fish into the diet and these are very tasty.
    I get these to make a smoked mackerel paté. Flake the fillets, creme fraiche, lemon, teeny bit of horseradish, into the food processor, beautiful and you'd make a pile of it for under €3 getting the stuff in Aldi :) My mother in law won't eat fish but asks me to make extra for her when I make it!
    Their new salmon encrout is lovely too!

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    You should try Aldi. Much better quality.

beg to disagree.. I go to both for different things. In Killarney had all 4 to choose from and did the same. New routine here is LIDL first at 8 am, then Supervalu where I buy only the standards ie milk, butter, sugar, bottled water and anything that is reduced, then on to ALDI at 9

They all have their own good things1

So disappointed though as the pasta salads in ALDI were not there. Asked at the till and she said the had been cleared out as they were not selling.. BAH! She said she would tell him I was asking!

Got a great chicken and stuffing sandwich at ALDI though. Very well filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,679 ✭✭✭54and56

All my fruit and vegetables come from Aldi, never had any issues in 5 years.

I'm a huge fan of Aldi and wish I could concur. I do 90% of our shopping there and spread it out over 2-3 shops a week to keep things fresh but I'm frequently disappointed with their fruit and veg some of which has very little shelf life left in it. In the past two weeks I purchased 3 cloves of garlic which turned soft and black within 4-5 days and similar with Ginger. It seems they source product from so far away (Garlic and Ginger are both Chinese) that by the time it arrives here it's way past it's best.

A lot of their fruit and veg is fine e.g. broccoli, carrots, potatoes, onions, scallions, cucumber, bananas etc but I've bough nets of oranges and lemons which within 2 days had mould on them.

I generally don't like Lidl stuff apart from their fresh bread but their fruit and veg is much much better than Aldi, sadly :(

Graces7 wrote: »
    beg to disagree.. I go to both for different things. In Killarney had all 4 to choose from and did the same. New routine here is LIDL first at 8 am, then Supervalu where I buy only the standards ie milk, butter, sugar, bottled water and anything that is reduced, then on to ALDI at 9

They all have their own good things1

So disappointed though as the pasta salads in ALDI were not there. Asked at the till and she said the had been cleared out as they were not selling.. BAH! She said she would tell him I was asking!

Got a great chicken and stuffing sandwich at ALDI though. Very well filled.

Why don't you buy these in Lidl/Aldi?
    Might be cheaper and I know Lidl and Aldi's butter is just as good as brand name ones :)

Recommend the Specially Selected Salmon, Spinach and Lemon Fishcakes.
    I normally don't like salmon but these are delicious.
    I already recommended the Thai Style Prawn Fishcakes, so I now have two to keep on the weekly shopping list.

My partner drinks orange juice every day and loves the Del Rivo Smooth Not from Concentrate. It's only about €1.19 thereabouts and no difference compared to the likes of Tropicana.

I bought the white pudding chubb today, 79c it was, so I'll report back on what I think of it when we have a fry over the weekend.

Can't stop raving about the Specially Selected curry sauces with the spice lids; I mentioned them loads before but if you haven't tried them, and you love Indian curries, you gotta try them out. Seriously.
    Our fave is the Madras one.

Also recommend the kitchen cleaner, in the orange spray bottle.
    It's brilliant for cleaning hobs, ovens, grills, etc...really gets through grease and doesn't smell overpowering.

Also picked up The Outlander white wine for €5.29 last week and it was delicious. Will definitely get that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I picked up the wrong curry jar yesterday..going mad..it's korma but not the one that ye are recommending afaik...is there any that taste like chinese rather than Indian?

I also find the fruit goes off very quickly..I bought the apples last week for 49cent but the skin discoloured very quickly so ended up peeling them and they tasted lovely but there was no way you could eat them without peeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

This is very popular in our house at the moment:

http://kristineskitchenblog.com/mexican-quinoa-sweet-potato-skillet/

If you use kidney beans or mixed beans instead of black beans, you can get everything in Aldi. I use a jar of the Aldi Specially Selected Fajita Season & Sauce instead of the individual spices and tomato sauce listed in the recipe.
    Quick, delicious and fairly healthy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

I'm a huge fan of Aldi and wish I could concur.
    Yep, especially super six. Frequently a way to dump low quality or ageing stock, e.g. last year's cheap variety apples in April, low quality mango & avocado, both of which will rot before they get ripe, etc.
    But even outside of ss some things there are constantly low quality, like their tiny and tasteless Galia melons or avocados.

BTW, they do stock Spanish garlic from time to time. Better than Chinese.

Advertisement