Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I got a punnet of mixed red/green grapes recently in Aldi.

For once there were no rotten ones hiding at the bottom one, but oh my goodness the green ones nearly knocked my fillings out with the tingling they were so sharp :eek: Red ones were lovely in fairness, but I had to throw out the last of the green ones.

(disclaimer - at this stage I with everything available from somewhere all year round I have lost all concept of when things are in season and likely to be more "natural" - mea culpa)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Anyone remember a certain box of microwave noodles Aldi did many moons back ? Was in a purple and white noodle box and was of mushroom flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Gosh, I wish they brought back the Champagne grape variety, it tasted like the real thing. They were sold only in the mix and I sometimes discarded the tasteless pink half, but it was still worth the price. The usuals like Thompson and the rest have no taste at all, sugary at best, but no flavour., especially now, imported from the southern hemisphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

fussyonion wrote: »
    Why don't you buy these in Lidl/Aldi?
    Might be cheaper and I know Lidl and Aldi's butter is just as good as brand name ones :)

Ah these are the same price everywhere; so no extra cost and no cheaper anywhere.. standardised..... and sometimes supervalu have bargains.. And they have a loyalty card that gives coupons.. Also they have clean customer toilets! Old ladies need that!

Oh and they always have the mild cheese I love at E4 a huge chunk

And I need to fill in the half hour between LIDL and ALDI!!!l

I was housebound for decades and love shopping ;)

Yep, especially super six. Frequently a way to dump low quality or ageing stock, e.g. last year's cheap variety apples in April, low quality mango & avocado, both of which will rot before they get ripe, etc.
    But even outside of ss some things there are constantly low quality, like their tiny and tasteless Galia melons or avocados.

BTW, they do stock Spanish garlic from time to time. Better than Chinese.

I would not buy any food that came from China. Especially not vegetables. Have family in Canada who told me this and the toxins there are.

• Advertisement

Yep, especially super six. Frequently a way to dump low quality or ageing stock, e.g. last year's cheap variety apples in April, low quality mango & avocado, both of which will rot before they get ripe, etc.
    But even outside of ss some things there are constantly low quality, like their tiny and tasteless Galia melons or avocados.

BTW, they do stock Spanish garlic from time to time. Better than Chinese.

Never ever had any such problems and always found the super six great. But then I do not buy exotics, apart from sweet potatoes and butternut squash which keep well. Go for Irish produce. Love the late season apples; like when we used to store them in autumn. They have a great taste and sweetness for that maturing.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Ah these are the same price everywhere; so no extra cost and no cheaper anywhere.. standardised..... and sometimes supervalu have bargains.. And they have a loyalty card that gives coupons.. Also they have clean customer toilets! Old ladies need that!

Oh and they always have the mild cheese I love at E4 a huge chunk

And I need to fill in the half hour between LIDL and ALDI!!!l

I was housebound for decades and love shopping ;)

PS. the supervalu in the small tourist town where I shop is a very posh one! All the deli and exotic stuff.. Not quite of the ilk of the one in Dingle but on the same lines. Far too rich and costly for me, but some things are standard prices and i love to see all the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I got a punnet of mixed red/green grapes recently in Aldi.

For once there were no rotten ones hiding at the bottom one, but oh my goodness the green ones nearly knocked my fillings out with the tingling they were so sharp :eek: Red ones were lovely in fairness, but I had to throw out the last of the green ones.

(disclaimer - at this stage I with everything available from somewhere all year round I have lost all concept of when things are in season and likely to be more "natural" - mea culpa)

Well, grapes should only now be going out of season, but I have generally started avoiding the green ones since moving to Ireland. I use to prefer them, but here they're always very sour. It could be because they travel less well than the darker ones and for that are picked too soon to ship here? I've no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Probably mentioned before but the beef medallion steaks are fantastic....nicer that fillets in my opinion..no waste and melt in the mouth ...I do mine in air fryer for 12 minutes then let rest for another 5, and at only €4.99 for two steaks it's great value ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

harr wrote: »
    Probably mentioned before but the beef medallion steaks are fantastic....nicer that fillets in my opinion..no waste and melt in the mouth ...I do mine in air fryer for 12 minutes then let rest for another 5, and at only €4.99 for two steaks it's great value ...

They are amazing, I mentioned them earlier along with this recipe
    honestly it was restaurant good and so easy to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The odd time I pick up one of the nice cheeses.

Last time I was in I got a Swiss reserve guyere cheese. No idea what that means but it was really good.

Made from unpasteurised cows milk. It is a quite thin piece so ideal to snack on with a glass of white wine. Lovely with those those salted crackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Prepack Gruyère always seems to come as a thin piece. Why is that?

arian wrote: »
    Prepack Gruyère always seems to come as a thin piece. Why is that?

I've wondered this as well.... just means it dries out really quickly, i can't eat it quick enough!

(Well, i can actually, but i try not to!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Sweet potato fries are nice, very thin/light though. Went though the bag very quickly!

Tried the pomegranate and beetroot soup w/chia seed topping... I liked it, never tried beetroot before.

The vitamin water drinks are the exact same as the branded ones, not bad at only 99c.

Finlays Ridge Spicy Chilli crisps are shi7 unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Sweet potato fries are nice, very thin/light though. Went though the bag very quickly!

Tried the pomegranate and beetroot soup w/chia seed topping... I liked it, never tried beetroot before.

The vitamin water drinks are the exact same as the branded ones, not bad at only 99c.

Yes I was disappointed with those crisps..thought they'd be hotter.
    Finlays did a gorgeous Tomato and Basil flavour but Aldi dont seem to stock them anymore.

Found some ciabatta garlic bread in my local Aldi recently..... I love ciabatta, and I love garlic even more, so winner all round I thought.

Verrrrry disappointing :(

Hardly any butter at all on either of them (I bought two and froze one), and it just tasted bitter. Not at all nice, and a million miles away from the M&S ultimate garlic bread (which to me is the absolute Rolls Royce of garlic bread!)

I've also tried a few of their bakery breads recently - some little rolls, a french stick and a poppy seed vienna.... anyone else find their bread to be very salty??? I'm an absolute fiend for salt - I bloody love the stuff - so for me firstly to notice, and secondly to not like, the saltiness is fairly remarkable. Back to Lidl I go for fresh bread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Found some ciabatta garlic bread in my local Aldi recently..... I love ciabatta, and I love garlic even more, so winner all round I thought.

Verrrrry disappointing :(

Hardly any butter at all on either of them (I bought two and froze one), and it just tasted bitter. Not at all nice, and a million miles away from the M&S ultimate garlic bread (which to me is the absolute Rolls Royce of garlic bread!)

I've also tried a few of their bakery breads recently - some little rolls, a french stick and a poppy seed vienna.... anyone else find their bread to be very salty??? I'm an absolute fiend for salt - I bloody love the stuff - so for me firstly to notice, and secondly to not like, the saltiness is fairly remarkable. Back to Lidl I go for fresh bread!

Aldi have a bakery? Like a fresh bakery?! Woah, wish my local had one....

Also, in terms of a recommendation - I picked up a pack of the Gingerbread 'polar bar' ice-creams today (basically an ice Berger knock-off with Gingerbread) and they're pretty decent.

€1.99 for 6 (reduced from €2.xx)

Aldi have a bakery? Like a fresh bakery?! Woah, wish my local had one....

Also, in terms of a recommendation - I picked up a pack of the Gingerbread 'polar bar' ice-creams today (basically an ice Berger knock-off with Gingerbread) and they're pretty decent.

€1.99 for 6 (reduced from €2.xx)
    They don't have a "bakery" the way Lidls do (but all they do is finish parbaked stuff as far as I know).

They do have various unwrapped fresh-baked loaves, which are presumably also just finished parbaked breads - where the finishing is done I have no idea - they have a nice selection, but they're all very salty!

Gingerbread icebergers sound YUM!

I make these myself, like ordinary chips and they are always by their nature thin and light.. but delicious! I always get sweet potatoes when they are at 49 cents .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

The rocky road flapjacks are delicious. Seriously tasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

heldel00 wrote:
    The rocky road flapjacks are delicious. Seriously tasty

Caramel Squares are even better

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They don't have a "bakery" the way Lidls do (but all they do is finish parbaked stuff as far as I know).

They do have various unwrapped fresh-baked loaves, which are presumably also just finished parbaked breads - where the finishing is done I have no idea - they have a nice selection, but they're all very salty!

I wonder if your Aldi is just an experiment or if this is a rollout starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Snackrite onion rings and popcorn are great. Anyone know who makes them for Aldi?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Everyone is raving about the 0% greek yogurt to the extent that it is NEVER in stock when I try :(

Does anyone have the producer code number from the small circle on the packaging to hand? Wonder who makes it, people say it tastes identical to Fage.

Found a single carton of the Tangy Cheese Pasta Salad in the City.. Ir is almost all eaten already! Will see when I am in town tomorrow...the brussel sprouts that are in th supersix are fresh and excelent..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Possibly mentioned before but their Tortilla chips (Doritos equivalent) are top notch... The blue pack are incredibly moreish

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Do aldi sell dried apricots ??
    Love them in my porridge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Everyone is raving about the 0% greek yogurt to the extent that it is NEVER in stock when I try :(

Does anyone have the producer code number from the small circle on the packaging to hand? Wonder who makes it, people say it tastes identical to Fage.

Sorry, I just threw out my final pack of it last night but from memory its part of the Brooklea range.

It is really good and compares well to Fage, and waaay cheaper. Its €1.69 or there abouts for a large tub.

It might be worth your while trying a different Aldi, because I've never had a problem getting it in my local one (Sandyford) so you might get it easily elsewhere.

Advertisement