Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Red wine recommendations anyone?. OH is fond of malbec/merlot types but i know nothing about them so bow to those here with better knowledge :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Red wine recommendations anyone?. OH is fond of malbec/merlot types but i know nothing about them so bow to those here with better knowledge :o

I have tried most of the Aldi wines and the best to my mind is the Bushland Shiraz.... its divine. Very rich, fruity with a hint of chocolate....

I did not like any of the Aldi Malbec's and usually I am a fan of Malbec, same with the Merlot found them very bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Valpolicella di Ripasso exquisite collection 9.99 very good. Not always in stock as sold out.

Spanish torro loco red not bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Anyone know if their cappuccino/latte/mocha Alcafe coffee has been discontinued?

Used to always be able to get it in my local and then this morning they were nowhere to be seen.

what happened the frozen spinach?
    sparkling water is no longer spring water
    where have the 200gm packs of almonds gone ....for those of us that cook
    also, last time I was looking own brand toothpaste was nowhere to be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I tried the jar of curry sauce with spices in the lid. Pleasantly surprised. I usually find Indian style sauces in jars to be either lacking flavour or else totally overpowering and perfumy. I'm looking forward to trying the other varieties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

anewme wrote: »
    Wachau Gruner Veltliner Reserve 2015 is an Austrian white wine(picture of a fish on it). 9.99 is excellent.

They've got Gruener Veltliner? :eek:

I need to stock up!!!

I'm always on the lookout for Austrian and German white wines - I grew up with them, and maybe that's why I prefer them to just about any other white wine. I'm flexible with the reds, but the German and Austrian whites can't be beaten in my humble opinion.
    Only finding them here is much trickier than I thought when I first arrived.

Shenshen wrote: »
    They've got Gruener Veltliner? :eek:

I need to stock up!!!

I'm always on the lookout for Austrian and German white wines - I grew up with them, and maybe that's why I prefer them to just about any other white wine. I'm flexible with the reds, but the German and Austrian whites can't be beaten in my humble opinion.
    Only finding them here is much trickier than I thought when I first arrived.

They have.

And it is excellent for that price point!

Read about it in one of the Saturday or Sunday supplements a few weeks back as a recommendation so bought a couple.

They did not last long and I went back and stocked up on a few more!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Whispered wrote: »
    I tried the jar of curry sauce with spices in the lid. Pleasantly surprised. I usually find Indian style sauces in jars to be either lacking flavour or else totally overpowering and perfumy. I'm looking forward to trying the other varieties.
    I see in my local Lidl this evening that they've started stocking something similar.... I wonder are they as good???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I see in my local Lidl this evening that they've started stocking something similar.... I wonder are they as good???
    They've had them for a while now, but they're not as good as the Aldi ones IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Have Aldi discontinued the duck fillets with aniseed marinate? They now seem to only stock the plain one and the lemon/pepper one which are not nearly as good.

I got a punnet of pears today and 2 of them were completely rotten and drenched the floor when I emptied the bags. Their fruit is always borderline.

A new thing they have lately is fresh pasta with fillings. A truffle and mushroom one, a sundried tomato one and a spinach one. I found the truffle way too strong and it repeated on me a bit but the sundried tomato one is really lovely. I got the spinach one today.

These are lovely with their mussels which are really good. Just stick them in the microwave and you have a really quick meal.

I wouldn't have eaten mussels much before but these are delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

They have.

And it is excellent for that price point!

Read about it in one of the Saturday or Sunday supplements a few weeks back as a recommendation so bought a couple.

They did not last long and I went back and stocked up on a few more!

Went today to check and couldn't find any at all. :(

Maybe it's selected stores only?

Shenshen wrote: »
    Went today to check and couldn't find any at all. :(

Maybe it's selected stores only?

I got them in 2 different stores.

Might be sold out as it was mentioned in the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Angus burgers (were €2 on super 6 until today) but I think are normally about €2.39, anyway they are magnificent and couple with their brioche bun and some of their mixed leaves, vine tomato and a slice of cheddar - wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

They've had them ages and the tikka masala one is exact same as Aldi one. And same price of €1.79

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Shiraz Terre Siciliane is quite nice. Has a large red label on the bottle, so should be easy to spot. I've heard good things about the Argentinian Malbec, but haven't tried it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,679 ✭✭✭54and56

Depending on your taste preferences of course but you absolutely won't go wrong with their Cotes du Rhone for less than €6 a bottle. My wife likes Malbec but didn't like any of Aldi's Malbec offerings. She loves the Cotes du Rhone as do I.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Does Aldi or Lidl sell barbecued smocked salmon?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

fin12 wrote: »
    Does Aldi or Lidl sell barbecued smocked salmon?
    Do you mean hot-smoked salmon? Think I've seen it in both, but never tried it.

No idea what barbecued smoked salmon might be, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

vicwatson wrote: »
    Angus burgers (were €2 on super 6 until today) but I think are normally about €2.39, anyway they are magnificent and couple with their brioche bun and some of their mixed leaves, vine tomato and a slice of cheddar - wow.

I agree, also add a dollop of bramwells picallili but I haven't been able to find it lately. Tried two different stores. Anyone seen it in last few weeks?

Hot smocked salmon maybe it could be da same thing. I get it in Duness and I think it's nicer than ordinary smocked salmon, thanks for da reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Aldi have smoked kiln roasted salmon. Very nice in a salad!

What is ordinary smocked salmon - is it a different curing process - never heard of barbecued smocked salmon either - love salmon, might be nice for lunch in a salad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Have recently discovered their chocolate Oaties, they taste the same as choccie hobnobs, way too good. Best own-brand version I've tasted and way better than the Lidl ones.

What is ordinary smocked salmon - is it a different curing process - never heard of barbecued smocked salmon either - love salmon, might be nice for lunch in a salad

I just think Barbecued salmon is nicer than smocked salmon. Barbecued seems to dryer than smocked salmon and I think it has a nicer flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hot smoked salmon is often marketed as barbecued salmon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,612 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Hot smoked/barbecued salmon are completely different to traditional smoked salmon because one is essentially cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

Has anybody tried the body moisturiser for dry skin in the blue bottle.
    Bought it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Has anybody tried the body moisturiser for dry skin in the blue bottle.
    Bought it today.

How does it taste? ;-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

How does it taste? ;-

Smells delightful but saving it till after lent!

Advertisement