Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

anewme wrote: »
    Wachau Gruner Veltliner Reserve 2015 is an Austrian white wine(picture of a fish on it). 9.99 is excellent.

I know this is the Aldi thread but just in case anyone missed it, Lidl are doing an 8.99 Grüner Veltliner for just this week as part of their Austrian range:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

A coconut on the Super 6, ftlf.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

A coconut on the Super 6, ftlf.
    Cant tell if the coconut is making you happy or sad?

I bought one anyway, never actually saw one before, havent tried it yet, are they usually this size or are these a small variety?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Thargor wrote: »
    Cant tell if the coconut is making you happy or sad?

I bought one anyway, never actually saw one before, havent tried it yet, are they usually this size or are these a small variety?

Put a hole in them, pour in rum, put in fridge.
    Give it a shake every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,057 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Zelda247 wrote: »
    i have just moved into an area where there is an Aldi, i am not really familiar with the store, what do you recommend of their products.

The porridge is outstanding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

The porridge is outstanding

I agree, especially the Organic one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone try the specially selected cod fish cakes with mature Cheeder?

Thanks I picked up hot smocked salmon the last day. It's the same thing as barbecued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

For anyone that likes white wine - I'd recommend Freemans Bay Pinot Gris @ €7.99, it's very easy to drink (is that a good thing?).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

fin12 wrote: »
    Anyone try the specially selected cod fish cakes with mature Cheeder?

Thanks I picked up hot smocked salmon the last day. It's the same thing as barbecued.

This has to stop. It's 'smoked salmon' and smoked and barbecued are two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭anewme

This has to stop. It's 'smoked salmon' and smoked and barbecued are two different things.

So is there not another thing called smocked salmon:confused:

I thought it was another curing process!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Smocked dresses exist.......

Well it says on the packet hot smocked salmon so what am I supposed to call it?

So is there not another thing called smocked salmon:confused:

I thought it was another curing process!

Someone told me here that barbecued and hot smocked salmon are the same thing.

fin12 wrote: »
    Well it says on the packet hot smocked salmon so what am I supposed to call it?

Does it not say on the packed hot smoked salmon?

Nobody knows what "smocked" salmon is.

I originally thought it was another curing process, but now it looks like its just smoked not spelled correctly.

I originally thought it was another curing process, but now it looks like its just smoked not spelled correctly.

Oh ok sorry I was spelling it wrong but they still put on the packets barbecued or hot smoked salmon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I thought a smocked salmon was just a fancy way to say its got a new dressing on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭xlogo

anewme wrote:

anewme wrote:

anewme wrote:

I think you were in a minority on that - I could easily work out that they meant smoked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

xlogo wrote: »
    I think you were in a minority on that - I could easily work out that they meant smoked.

Given that you can have Smoked Irish Salmon and irish smoked salmon, which are 2 different products, its not beyond the realms of possibility that there could be smocked and smoked salmon being 2 different products, especially when hot smocked salmon was mentioned!

I asked on the previous page what was smocked salmon but was left none the wiser!

Disappointed a bit that its only plain old smoked salmon.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,612 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Hot smoked salmon
    Hot smoking is used salmon and trout, hot smoking 'cooks' the salmon making it less moist, and firmer, with a less delicate taste. It may be eaten like cold smoked salmon.
    Smoked salmon
    Cold smoking means curing fish by smoking at an air temperature not higher than 33°C to avoid cooking the flesh or coagulating the protein; with the one exception of smoked salmon

• Advertisement

Hot smoked salmon
    Hot smoking is used salmon and trout, hot smoking 'cooks' the salmon making it less moist, and firmer, with a less delicate taste. It may be eaten like cold smoked salmon.
    Smoked salmon
    Cold smoking means curing fish by smoking at an air temperature not higher than 33°C to avoid cooking the flesh or coagulating the protein; with the one exception of smoked salmon

Got salmon like that before and it was very dry and very firm. Did not like it at all, so it must be that hot smoked salmon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

The words 'smoked' and 'salmon' have lost all meaning to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Back to Aldi recommendations?

They have a cheese - Double Gloucester with Chives, 200g a cheese of beauty, think its €1.39 and a steal at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

vicwatson wrote: »
    Back to Aldi recommendations?

They have a cheese - Double Gloucester with Chives, 200g a cheese of beauty, think its €1.39 and a steal at that.

I love the Double Gloucester! So moreish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm glad we're finished with the salmon - I don't like it in any form :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Shenshen wrote: »
    They've got Gruener Veltliner? :eek:

I need to stock up!!!

I'm always on the lookout for Austrian and German white wines - I grew up with them, and maybe that's why I prefer them to just about any other white wine. I'm flexible with the reds, but the German and Austrian whites can't be beaten in my humble opinion.
    Only finding them here is much trickier than I thought when I first arrived.
    They have.

And it is excellent for that price point!

Read about it in one of the Saturday or Sunday supplements a few weeks back as a recommendation so bought a couple.

They did not last long and I went back and stocked up on a few more!

I know it's hard to talk about wine without sounding like a twit, but how would you describe this wine?

More like a Sauvignon Blanc or a Chardonnay?
    Easy drinking or more of an acquired taste?
    Drink on it's own or better with food?

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I know it's hard to talk about wine without sounding like a twit, but how would you describe this wine?

Hmmm no expert

I would describe it as lightly fruity crisp and white similar in style to a burgundy Chardonnay unoaked..but with a touch of minerality(Riesling) delicate and elegant, some of the aged ones would have more spice to them.

..would drink on its own or with food ...good with fish! Would be a crowd pleaser at an informal dinner party. It would not work with heavy food say beef stew or steak but would be great for say tempura prawns .

Very easy drinking ...too much so!!!

I've recommended it to two different ppl and both have gone back for seconds!

The name of the region is Wachu but my Mum has renamed it whack u as it's quite strong in alcohol but deceiving as it's very easy to drink. !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

UsedToWait wrote: »

It's not really like either of them - I'm absolutely no wine expert, so this'll sound a bit naive, but here goes : It's quite a strong, fruity flavour, to me it's much stronger tasting than most white wines on sale here. It's not a sparkling wine, but it does leave this pleasant tingle on the tongue as if something sparkly had just passed over it. It's not overly sweet but nice and crisp - think red apples.

In Austria, it would been drank with food or without. In summer, they'd mix it half and half with sparkling water. Sounds like a crime, but is actually unbelievably tasty,

And the region is called Wachau (wack-ow) ;) Google it, it's one of the most beautiful places in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

spotted these over in the yougart section, called love something in small bowls 3 flavours passionfruit and villa seed cream, chocolate/orange and chocolate/salted ganache there delicious €1:49 a go, a must try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I haven't scrolled through all the pages to see if this has been mentioned before, but does anyone else find Aldi chicken tough and tasteless, both the free-range and fresh? My SIL said the same. Even tried making curry and slow cooked them but they're still awful.

Advertisement