Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Has anyone tried the oakfield frozen burgers? Im often disappointed by burgers I buy so dont want to get them and they taste bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Has anyone tried the oakfield frozen burgers? Im often disappointed by burgers I buy so dont want to get them and they taste bad.

Get the angus burger from the meat section. 2 per pack.
    Best burgers I've tasted in a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Get the angus burger from the meat section. 2 per pack.
    Best burgers I've tasted in a long time!

+1 for this.
    I used to also like the frozen burgers in the black box in Aldi (Specially Selected).
    They were Angus mince too, but I don't think they sell them anymore.
    They were beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

fussyonion wrote: »
    +1 for this.
    I used to also like the frozen burgers in the black box in Aldi (Specially Selected).
    They were beautiful.
    I think they're still available. Were a few weeks ago anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I miss my crabbies Ginger beer ..... 70cl for 3.50? nice strong flavour and keep you happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Red pepper houmoussy thing. Gorgeous

Aldi Specially Selected Jalfrezi Curry Sauce (with the spice cap on top).
    I have recommended the Madras here in the past and though it is lovely, the Jalfrezi is WAY nicer.

It has more flavour, more heat (which is odd because Madras curries are usually hotter), thanks to the inclusion of sliced green chillies, and it just tastes like there's more herbs and spices in it.
    It reduced to a beautiful sauce and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Stock up!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Aldi Specially Selected Jalfrezi Curry Sauce (with the spice cap on top).
    I have recommended the Madras here in the past and though it is lovely, the Jalfrezi is WAY nicer.

It has more flavour, more heat (which is odd because Madras curries are usually hotter), thanks to the inclusion of sliced green chillies, and it just tastes like there's more herbs and spices in it.
    It reduced to a beautiful sauce and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Stock up!
    Absolute restaurant quality curry in 15 minutes, they're unbelievable tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I tried one and found it very bland but I am no expert on curries.

Thargor wrote: »
    Absolute restaurant quality curry in 15 minutes, they're unbelievable tbh.

I agree.
    Now and again I get a Karahi from the Bombay Pantry but these Aldi curry sauces beat them hands down for flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

meeeeh wrote: »
    I tried one and found it very bland but I am no expert on curries.
    They wont burn the mouth off you alright but you can remedy that yourself, its more about the flavour, it is spot on, tastes like something a lot of work went into instead of out of a jar, theres no going back to Uncle Bens or Sharwoods for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Have to say I prefer the Bombay Kitchen ones as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I recommend the Spanish hot chocolate, its the best one I have tried so far.

Anyone know if they have it in stock at the minute? Is is part of the special buy range?

This is it

qramhl.jpg

The McGrath's tea bags (the 160 box) are similar to Lyons tea bags, but a fraction of the price.

Love their fillet/rib eye specially selected steaks, the garlic/herb marinaded chicken, the poppin' chicken from the freezer (rarely get it, but when I do, its lovely), they do some nice Rioja wines and some nice wines in general too.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭kellyshell

First time posting to this thread but use it for Aldi ideas!!

I was in my Aldi last night and they have some of their Xmas cheeses back..................the goats cheese with cranberry is amazing!!! not ashamed to say I got a little excited when I seen it back in the fridges :)

Also the Granola in the black box with cranberry is delicious and very filling......

I like cranberry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I have seen the Spanish Chocolate in Kerry Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

We buy everything in aldi at this stage.

We had two kids at the start of the recession and SV was costing us a fortune, over €100/w. Aldi, even now costs anywhere between €60 - €80 for a family of four. And that's no scrimping. I love how I can buy anything i want!

Currently we are loving the dark chocolate digestives and their mature cheddar are best on market imo. The berries are incredible value too but you do have to pick your pack carefully. I've given up on the broccoli,it just goes instantly yellow the minute I get it home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

The special select panettone with the hazelnut crust is fantastic. The nicest one I've found over the last few years. Bought a load last year as presents for people. Normally come in store in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Their rice krispies and coco pops are lovely... in fact, I remember seeing somewhere their coco pops are more chocolatey than coco pops themselves!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

The Andara red wine, toro loco reserva and pata negra are all gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Red King wrote: »
    The Andara red wine, toro loco reserva and pata negra are all gorgeous.

how much are they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

how much are they?

I paid 5.39 for the Andara melot yesterday.
    I think the Reserva was under 7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

0lddog wrote: »
    Dried cured ham - 2kg . Do any of the other multiples offer a similar product ?

The gluten free apple tart is a real coeliac treat :)

Which store for the apple tart? Im not home till christmas though :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

The choc or jam coconut swirls are to die for, 1.15 Dunnes sell worse ones for over 3 eur.

The choc or jam coconut swirls are to die for, 1.15 Dunnes sell worse ones for over 3 eur.

They also had coconut chewy biscuity round things...don't know what they are, but they were only €1.99 for 8 and the branded version, Mrs Crinkles, are about €3-4.
    The Aldi ones are gorgeous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I picked up a stollen yesterday, because last year they were all gone by the middle of December. I also bought some of their Mountain Bars and opened one just for research purposes ;). They're like Toblerone, and every bit as nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭cobham

You will find the GF tart in the GF section along with the other GF baked goods. It is near the regular bread/biscuits. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 neworld2016

Despite all the Aldi hype , this loaf disappoints.
    It's too dense , stale on the two days I purchased, nasty aftertaste. Might make a decent flood defence wall tho! I'm gonna stick with McCambridges brown bread in the resealable bag
    Sorry Margaret!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod Note: Merged with Aldi thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

+1 for this.
    They were beautiful.

They're still available. They are some of the best burgers Ive gotten from a shop. The frozen mashed potato and curly fries is also quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If there's any left, I can highly recommend the sheepskin slippers they had in the special offers recently.

Toasty warm and lovely and comfy :)

Advertisement