Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

67ad800031a6faf536e9d441394cc178.png

Best way to cook frozen peas is steaming them.
    Never had a bad experience since doing that while cooking them in water left me with some bad tasting results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

The little packs of peas/sugar/snaps and broccoli in the freezer (I think they are 99c) are delicious....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Roasted Peas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

noodler wrote: »
    As a few poster have stated subsequently, that's not the case.

God, I'm seriously not gonna argue about peas on a forum but every batch I have made was tough with half burned half undercooked.

"shelly" is a good way to describe it.

No idea how on earth you can say all peas are the same, I mean frozen chips, wedges, baked beans, ketchups can all vary wildly by brand.

I think it's 'freezer burn' that made your peas rotten. I've seen it. I think if they

I also agree that some frozen veg is nicer than others.

Lidl/Aldi frozen veg is perfect for in bolognese, stews, casseroles etc but as a veg I do think branded ones are better. I especially think the SuperValu frozen veg are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Roasted Peas

On the bbq, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,414 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Lisha wrote: »
    I think it's 'freezer burn' that made your peas rotten. I've seen it. I think if they

I also agree that some frozen veg is nicer than others.

Nah, not freezer burn.

Not rotten either. Just poorer quality.

How are you cooking the peas that they're going black?
    Genuinely curious here as I've no idea how you're managing it! I just put them in boiling water for a few mins.

Microwaving for 2 mins - stir after one.

People are going way out there to try and find a reason for it but there isn't!

The Green Isle ones cook properly every time, have a satsifying snap to them when you break the skin and have a sweet taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Regarding the big pea debate - Aldi frozen peas are perfect. Never even dreamed of microwaving peas! Lash them in whatever pan/saucepan you have going for a minute and bobs yer uncle

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Microwaving for 2 mins - stir after one.

People are going way out there to try and find a reason for it but there isn't!

The Green Isle ones cook properly every time, have a satsifying snap to them when you break the skin and have a sweet taste.

Never ever microwaved frozen peas. There you have it then.... :rolleyes:

Actually I never buy any frozen vegetables. Just get what is in season as they are better then. Need the freezer for cat and dog food :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Never ever microwaved frozen peas. There you have it then.... :rolleyes:

You can, its on the back of every frozen veg back.

How do you think I am cooking the branded version? (With no issues).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

You can, its on the back of every frozen veg back.

How do you think I am cooking the branded version? (With no issues).

The irony of microwaving a frozen veg product and then moaning about the quality is obviously lost on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,612 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We very rarely buy frozen vegetables now apart from the odd stir fry. Back in the 1990's and early 2000's we got frozen peas in Lidl and they were terrible. However the quality has improved a lot since then,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Probably been mentioned many times but the Appleby’s Barbecue Spare Ribs are amazing. These ones.

Yeah these are gorgeous. They used to do a pulled pork by the same people awhile back but haven't seen in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Yeah these are gorgeous. They used to do a pulled pork by the same people awhile back but haven't seen in ages.

I agree,they really are delicious and very handy to have in the fridge due to the long expiry date.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The Greek Style Mango yogurts (€1.29 for 4) are delicious. Thick and creamy and just gorge and I am v fussy about yogurts.
    Not fussy about onions though 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

fussyonion wrote: »
    The Greek Style Mango yogurts (€1.29 for 4) are delicious. Thick and creamy and just gorge and I am v fussy about yogurts.
    Not fussy about onions though 😊

In the same line, I would recommend the Greek Style Coconut & Vanilla yoghurt. It has a yummy flavour and is thick and creamy - not a guarantee with all greek style yoghurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

jenn1984 wrote: »
    In the same line, I would recommend the Greek Style Coconut & Vanilla yoghurt. It has a yummy flavour and is thick and creamy - not a guarantee with all greek style yoghurts.

Oh I must try those ones.
    I agree..I've tried a lot of Greek style ones and some haven't been that thick at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

Not food but wondering had anyone bought Mattress topper from Aldi and if so Is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

• Advertisement

Not food but wondering had anyone bought Mattress topper from Aldi and if so Is it any good?

on a similar but food related non food .... I am delighted with the hand tools at ALDI. Cannot dig any more .... need to grow food.. Got a sturdy trowel and an awesome little hoe at E1.99 each. The hoe has a sharp blades on one side and three sharp prongs on the other..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Graces7 wrote: »
    on a similar but food related non food .... I am delighted with the hand tools at ALDI. Cannot dig any more .... need to grow food.. Got a sturdy trowel and an awesome little hoe at E1.99 each. The hoe has a sharp blades on one side and three sharp prongs on the other..

Anytime I feel like picking up a hoe I head to Aldi...

They have the cheapest hoes in town!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

I got one last year - not sure if it is identical to the one on sale now but it's not bad for the price, doesn't particularly add any comfort though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

nosilver wrote: »
    I know its a "recommend" thread, but might be of interest to know that their bottled water has changed.

It was glenpatrick spring water, its now "celtic pure" which is basically bottled tap water and tastes as such. - Seriously different taste to before and not in a nice way.

Comeragh sport in my aldi, they flick between producers, comeragh sport produced by glenpatrck spring water, clonmel

Says on the label "produced using Irish water". Imagine !!

Hard to twist the lids of the bloody bottle if not using the "sports cap"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Just curious if anybody has bought the 'Jo Malone style' candles before? I've heard people raving about them and they're back in stock tomorrow so might go have a look. I wonder if they burn well and how long they last etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Just curious if anybody has bought the 'Jo Malone style' candles before? I've heard people raving about them and they're back in stock tomorrow so might go have a look. I wonder if they burn well and how long they last etc?

I've also heard the rave reviews, I've not bought them (because I've never actually come across them!) but will go tomorrow and try to get some - thanks for the tip, I didnt know they'd be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Not sure who Jo Malone is but the fancy candles "No.1 & No.3" are in the dishwasher tablets kinda section in my Aldi, nowhere near the special buys.

I'd estimate 60 - 80 hours burn for a fiver

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

Colombian coffee is fab. Less than 2euro aswell. Would highly recommend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Not sure who Jo Malone is but the fancy candles "No.1 & No.3" are in the dishwasher tablets kinda section in my Aldi, nowhere near the special buys.

I'd estimate 60 - 80 hours burn for a fiver

Jo Malone candles start at about €50, and the most expensive one on the Brown Thomas website is €365! http://www.brownthomas.com/brands/jo-malone-london/for-the-home/wild-fig-cassis-luxury-candle/81x1814xl69n010000.html?cgid=jo-malone-london-home&dwvar_81x1814xl69n010000_color=No_Colour#start=1

Jo Malone effectively pioneered a lot of the more unusual perfume combinations and these are basically dupes of some of the most popular fragrances from that range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Ooh that's good to know I bought one first time round and it smelled just like the JM Pomegranate Noir, will try the Lime Basil next (ps I'm a regular purchaser of JM candles)

Advertisement