Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

The little jars of chargrilled peppers from their antipasto range are great for throwing into chilli etc.

Can't remember the cost, but they're delicious.

Where are they usually stacked in the store?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Where are they usually stacked in the store?

In my local they're located on the shelves above the freezer, look out for frozen pizza's, they're above them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,759 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Never liked that diet orange, but their normal fizzy orange is much better than Club or Fanta

A nice spritzer is ALDI's Vuze Orange mixed half and half with sparkling water and a wedge of llemon or lime. You can can only do that with an orange soda that packs a punch :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Had the cod fishcakes with cheddar cheese. Was lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Morgane

HALF COATED CHOC CHUNK COOKIES by Memento.

They are half covered with chocolate/ half made of chocolate chips and they are delicious. At first seen, they look like ordinary biscuits but since I tasted them, they are part of my tea time routine.

And I can even pretend that they are healthier than they seem because they are made of whole grains ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Morgane wrote: »
    HALF COATED CHOC CHUNK COOKIES by Memento.

They are half covered with chocolate/ half made of chocolate chips and they are delicious. At first seen, they look like ordinary biscuits but since I tasted them, they are part of my tea time routine.

And I can even pretend that they are healthier than they seem because they are made of whole grains ;)

I now dare not go near the biscuit counter in ALDI! Had some choc biscuits a while ago and could not stop, and that is not like me ;) Or was that LIDL! I think I put them on here somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Quick question - I've to up my protein intake and have a tesco online shop ready to go full of seeds, nuts etc. I've never noticed are these available in Aldi. Anybody buy them regularly? Are they cheaper than tesco?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Whispered wrote: »
    Quick question - I've to up my protein intake and have a tesco online shop ready to go full of seeds, nuts etc. I've never noticed are these available in Aldi. Anybody buy them regularly? Are they cheaper than tesco?

My Aldi has a huge range of nuts and seeds, far cheaper than Tesco.

For the record, nuts and seeds are a great source primarily of healthy fats. For protein you might want to try eggs, cottage cheese, tofu, quorn, lentils, pulses, meat and fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My Aldi has a huge range of nuts and seeds, far cheaper than Tesco.

For the record, nuts and seeds are a great source primarily of healthy fats. For protein you might want to try eggs, cottage cheese, tofu, quorn, lentils, pulses, meat and fish.

Great thanks.

Yep I've had a chat with a nutritional therapist and doc. Just to go stocking my presses with snacks now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Whispered wrote: »

You could also try Lidl, if there's one near you. They have nice, resealable bags of nuts - brazils, walnuts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

far cheaper than Tesco.
    my tesco can have nuts in 5 or 6 different places, with wildly different prices.

Salted and/or roast nuts get 23% vat slapped on, nearly all roasted nuts are salted, the ones in the baking section are zero vat, other various "health" sections can have unsalted ones too, but they can slap on a high margin as its in the overpriced "healthy" section.

The best value cashews I get are salted ones in lidl in ring pull tins, the bigger bags of the same brand/quality level of nut costs more per kilo. I think the loose nuts are dearer, and have heard stories of kids "playing sand" with them, running their grubby & likely freshly licked fingers through them.

Some Asian shops can be cheap, the ones I go to are not cheap anymore for nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anybody brave enough?

hA2CkWc.png?1

€4. The egg looked like some kind of fuzzy giant mushroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Urgh, no thanks.
    I am trying the American Hot pizza tonight so will let ye know. I looked for the wine fussy mentioned but they didn't have it. They seem well stocked up on Azarra though so no complaints. No sign of the scented candles either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

That looks gross :eek:

@Surreptious: In both my local Aldis the scented candles are with the cleaning stuff, dishwasher tablets and Co. They are not in the aisles with the special offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Thargor wrote: »
    Anybody brave enough?

Are you me??? I did exactly the same thing yesterday :D

(Couldn't decide if the dry little beans or the expanded polyurethane omelette were the worst bit.)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Anybody brave enough?

There's always one component that doesn't suit in these "meals". Guess it's the egg this time. It looks like there's not a lot of food either. Otherwise, and at half price, I'd be there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Anybody brave enough?

hA2CkWc.png?1

arian wrote: »
    There's always one component that doesn't suit in these "meals". Guess it's the egg this time. It looks like there's not a lot of food either. Otherwise, and at half price, I'd be there :)

The rashers look shi7e...soggy rashers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Probably mentioned before but I do like Aldi shower gels especially the tingling mint and tea tree oil...great for the morning shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,612 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

harr wrote: »
    Probably mentioned before but I do like Aldi shower gels especially the tingling mint and tea tree oil...great for the morning shower.

I used get that before and found it similar to Original Source brand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

The scented candles are now going to be a regular item in all stores and will be in the laundry item aisle - still sold out in my local one though :rolleyes:

What happened to the ice creams with the white chocolate and biscuit coating -I discovered them thanks to this thread before Christmas but haven't seen them since - mind you my waistline probably thanks Aldi for not re-stocking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I used get that before and found it similar to Original Source brand!
    Is it as good as Original Source?

I use that in a soap dispenser in the kitchen, it's brilliant for removing foody (like onion) smells from hands.

A cheaper version would be even better!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Is it as good as Original Source?

I use that in a soap dispenser in the kitchen, it's brilliant for removing foody (like onion) smells from hands.

A cheaper version would be even better!
    Very similar...a word of caution for lads using it don't leave it on your lower regions to long it can get a tad tingly 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Very similar...a word of caution for lads using it don't leave it on your lower regions to long it can get a tad tingly 😮
    Haha, that's where i first heard of it - some English comedian had a gag based on just that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Not just lads. Us ladies felt the impact too! :D

I actually prefer the lime version to be honest, but it's very hard to get in my local Aldi. It rarely seems to be in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Nowt wrong with a bit of tingling down there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The oranges on the supersix special are really great,

3 large oranges for 39 cents. Big and juicy. All the way from Morocco for a bit of the exotic ;)

vicwatson wrote: »
    Nowt wrong with a bit of tingling down there :D
    😂😉

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I finally got hold of the scented candles, they only had the pomegranate one available. I also, after listening to the recommendations got the shower gel :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I finally got hold of the scented candles, they only had the pomegranate one available. I also, after listening to the recommendations got the shower gel :)

I got the pomegranate also yesterday..I had it lighting for about 6 hours and there was absolutely no smell of anything from it.I was out for 2 hours last night and hoped I would smell it as soon as I walked in but there was absolutely nothing.Very disappointed and hope it's just that particular one as I bought another one as well.

Advertisement