Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

harr wrote: »
    For the Greek yogurt....I mix it with some curry paste with raisins,apple, grated carrots and eather a can of tuna or a chopped chicken breast served on a few rice crackers or soda bread... lovely healthy and tasty lunch or dinner.

What a fantastic idea, will try that one!... thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

They've also Turkey Rashers in stock!

Seen them yesterday, 3€ a pack?

That's quite expensive imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,609 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Seen them yesterday, 3€ a pack?

That's quite expensive imo.

When I saw them they were €2.49(one of our stores might be wrong) and I think the branded packet is €3+.
    Turkey rashers are always expensive.

Lads is there a chickpea shortage in the country at present or what?

Three Aldi's since Saturday to today, and no chickpeas in any of them, ditto my Tesco extra.

Needed them for a dish I was going to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Had the fresh tuna steaks (vacuum packed) from the fish fridge....wasn't mad about them to be honest had a bit of an after taste ...cooked tuna before from Tesco and M&S which I loved but was disappointed with these ones 🙁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Lads is there a chickpea shortage in the country at present or what?

Three Aldi's since Saturday to today, and no chickpeas in any of them, ditto my Tesco extra.

Needed them for a dish I was going to make.

None in the Galway shops ! Tried a few different shops too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Bought two tins of chickpeas in the Knocknacarra Aldi in Galway on Friday. They are on the same tray as the butter beans and there always seem to be more beans, but the demand for chick peas is higher.
    I now buy chickpeas when I see them, not when I need them as we are eating quite a bit of them and I can't rely on Aldi having them in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Bought two tins of chickpeas in the Knocknacarra Aldi in Galway on Friday. They are on the same tray as the butter beans and there always seem to be more beans, but the demand for chick peas is higher.
    I now buy chickpeas when I see them, not when I need them as we are eating quite a bit of them and I can't rely on Aldi having them in stock.
    Yes, this weird thing that both Aldi and Lidl have of mixing various flavours / varieties of one product in one case is a little annoying, as there's always one type that's much more popular than the other and you end up rummaging around to find what you want, if it's still there that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

A second vote for the greek yogurt. Also Aldi's own brand of popped crisps are yum. Especially the barbeque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I bought the caramel eton mess over the weekend. It was alright, but to be honest it was more cream than anything else. I didn't think there was a lot of meringue in it. I don't think I'd bother buying it again.

• Advertisement

I bought the caramel eton mess over the weekend. It was alright, but to be honest it was more cream than anything else. I didn't think there was a lot of meringue in it. I don't think I'd bother buying it again.

I kept on meaning to post about it!
    I found the camel:D Eton Mess okay. It needed more meringue.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Cowbell. It needs more cowbell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Really liked it, but haven't seen it for a while now. I think it was part of the Christmas/New Year's range. Hope it will be back.

I saw it in Aldi Sandyford during the last week. Didnt chance it but maybe I will if I see it again.

ArtyC wrote: »
    None in the Galway shops ! Tried a few different shops too

I use chickpeas a lot in my weekly cooking, from chana aloo masala, to chilli and falafel and veggie stews, they're great protein source for vegetarians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, this weird thing that both Aldi and Lidl have of mixing various flavours / varieties of one product in one case is a little annoying, as there's always one type that's much more popular than the other and you end up rummaging around to find what you want, if it's still there that is.

Yes that was happening to me with the Cupshotz - as the chicken noodle was my favourite and always hard to come by. They slyly changed it to chicken pasta in almost identical packaging and I was gutted as the flavour was horrible.

@Alf Stewart: shopped in Lidl at lunch time and they had LOADS of tinned chickpeas, so fortunately doesn't seem to be a nationwide shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Love chickpeas and normally have a stock of them ! Tried headford road, west side and clifden! Forgot knocknacarra- I'll try to get up there ! Thanks !

ArtyC wrote: »
    Love chickpeas and normally have a stock of them ! Tried headford road, west side and clifden! Forgot knocknacarra- I'll try to get up there ! Thanks !

I've said it above, the Lidl next to Argos had tons of tinned chickpeas yesterday. I love chickpeas, too. Cheap and cheerful and so versatile!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Regarding Aldi's stock issue; I notice it every week with the Brassiere Mature Cheddar & Onion crisps (€1.25).

My partner loves them so we buy a bag every week. However, we always have to rummage around looking for the flavour. They seem to have more Sea Salt and Vinegar and Thai Sweet Chilli.

Same with those curry sauces with the spices in the lid. I only buy the Madras but they never have many of them, yet they've loads of the other flavours.

PS We are loving the Brooklea Cherry Layer Greek Style yogurt (€1.29 for four).
    They're absolutely amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

fussyonion wrote:
    Regarding Aldi's stock issue; I notice it every week with the Brassiere Mature Cheddar & Onion crisps (€1.25).

My partner loves them so we buy a bag every week.

Those crisps are absolutely gorgeous, my partner rarely gets anywhere near them!

• Advertisement

Those crisps are absolutely gorgeous, my partner rarely gets anywhere near them!

I'm weird cos I don't like handcooked/kettle chips so he (and you!) can have them 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

fussyonion wrote: »

My partner loves them so we buy a bag every week. However, we always have to rummage around looking for the flavour. They seem to have more Sea Salt and Vinegar and Thai Sweet Chilli.

Same with those curry sauces with the spices in the lid. I only buy the Madras but they never have many of them, yet they've loads of the other flavours.

PS We are loving the Brooklea Cherry Layer Greek Style yogurt (€1.29 for four).
    They're absolutely amazing.

I only buy the tikka one and they rarely have that one too. Butter chicken curry is amazing, try it.

I generally adore these crisps and Aldi one's would probably be my least favorite!

Don't know if I mentioned before but you have to try the Maple cured rashers. They're €1.39 (Or thereabouts) for five and they are gorgeous.
    Proper thick rashers; no skin-graft slices that some companies give you.
    They grill beautifully and also fry perfectly.
    Everyone who's tasted them in our house has commented on them. I wouldn't buy any other rashers now.

My other half is a fan of the sliced peppered roast beef in the red packet, too.

Thumbs up to the Fajita Dinner Kit.
    We actually prefer the flavour to the Old el Paso one and it's only €1.49.
    I know it's not home-made but for something so handy, it packs a punch and is delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Medium oranges; SEVEN in a net for 39 cents. Really juicy ( I roll them up and down on the work surface before juicing)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The chocolate covered Oaties are one of the nicest biscuits you can have with a cup of tea...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Love these yoghurts, really inexpensive too

https://www.aldi.ie/apple-forest-fruit-yogurt/p/045985003617000

https://www.aldi.ie/specially-selected-farmhouse-yogurt/p/044847003452400

Their berry fruits tea is gorgeous

43945_Fruit-Infusions-Fruit-Herb-Tea-Bags--Summer-Berries.jpg

Their cava is lovely too, really nice with a strawberry in it

https://www.aldi.ie/contevedo-cava-brut/p/044646003428000

Tried the Crémant de Loire and Gruner Veltliner and wasn't a fan of either.

https://www.aldi.ie/cr%C3%A9mant-de-loire-%28blanc-de-noirs%29/p/076557145793900

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

I prefer The Blanquette du Limoux to the Cremant du Loire.
    I wasn't a fan of Gruener Veltliner either.
    I'll stick to my Riesling or Pinot Gris

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

Jrop wrote: »

The Freemans Bay Pinot Gris is lovely in Aldi :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Jrop wrote: »

Crement de Jura ra in a black bottle was gorgeous, haven't tried Crement du Loire. not sure if it's now been replaced by Blanquette du Limoux as the bottle is the same shape.

Advertisement