Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

I've been in about 4 times in the last 2 weeks and I haven't seen the Sweet Potato Pakoras. They must have discontinued them, grrr. Just when I found my favourite food!

I see what they've done now is introduced The Bag that is a Bowl and one of the toppings is falafel but only the Mediterranean and Moroccanflavours.

I feel like sueing Aldi for emotional distress :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,783 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Just tweet them about stuff you haven't seen in a while, they're normally very good at replying.

The staff, on the other hand, never seem to be told if something is just out of stock or gone-gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Just tweet them about stuff you haven't seen in a while, they're normally very good at replying.

The staff, on the other hand, never seem to be told if something is just out of stock or gone-gone.

I don't have Twitter. Would anyone like to tweet if the Sweet Potato Pakoras have been discontinued for certain? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Oh wow, I bought Aldi's fabric conditioner today; the blue one, 95cent for 1litre, thinking it might not be great but sure 95c, can't go wrong. (I usually buy Comfort).
    Well I LOVE it.

The smell is unreal. Absolutely gorgeous; you could smell the clothes on the washing line outside, then when they were dry and I brought them indoors, the whole house smelt of them.

Couldn't believe it. I've never smelt Comfort that much but this is gorge.
    Definitely sticking with it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Thanks for the recommendation I'm gonna get that 2moro, I'm finding the conditioners these days really weak.
    fussyonion wrote: »
    Oh wow, I bought Aldi's fabric conditioner today; the blue one, 95cent for 1litre, thinking it might not be great but sure 95c, can't go wrong. (I usually buy Comfort).
    Well I LOVE it.

The smell is unreal. Absolutely gorgeous; you could smell the clothes on the washing line outside, then when they were dry and I brought them indoors, the whole house smelt of them.

Couldn't believe it. I've never smelt Comfort that much but this is gorge.
    Definitely sticking with it!

• Advertisement

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendation I'm gonna get that 2moro, I'm finding the conditioners these days really weak.

You're welcome.
    I thought the same. I couldnt smell the Comfort anymore even though I used to switch the fragrances now and again.

So pleasantly surprised by the Aldi one.
    And for 95c! Can't get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dial Hard wrote: »

They were out of something I looked for ( the Tangy Cheese Pasta Salad) and I asked at the till. The girl told me it had not sold and had just been taken off the shelf.. I told her I would buy it whenever and it came back the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

The white beers, small blue box around ?6 are lovely . Very similar to hoegaarden but cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

The chorizo flavoured sausages are back.

Result. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭jc11

Hi, have a communion coming up, want to get a few drinks for guests.. not a drinker myself so can anyone recommend nice wine/beer from Aldi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

jc11 wrote: »
    Hi, have a communion coming up, want to get a few drinks for guests.. not a drinker myself so can anyone recommend nice wine/beer from Aldi?

I'm not much of a wine drinker these days, but their own-brand lagers (Galahad or St Etienne) are decent enough. I would maybe add a selection if the craft beers they stock, just for the people who might want a bit of variety

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Depends on what you wanna spend, but their white wine Sancerre at ?10.29 is an absolute steal. and delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Toro loco reserva is a lovely red.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,525 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Someone here recommended the Azzara White Wine for a fiver. Great wine for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Bushland Shiraz, excellent wine, rich with a spicy flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    Toro loco reserva is a lovely red.

I second this !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Rockstone Ridge is a lovely Rose, less than 6 euro a bottle
    Good tip about tweeting, gonna ask if the lime and coriander frozen chicken pieces are EVER coming back, I can't lose weight without them #excuses

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Someone here recommended the Azzara White Wine for a fiver. Great wine for the price.

I think that was me or maybe fussy got there before me.

I think that was me or maybe fussy got there before me.

I don't know who mentioned it first. I definitely mentioned it a while back. It really is fab wine.
    Also loving The Outlander, new to shelves, at €5.49 a bottle.
    Dry and very smooth and crisp. Bargain!

I know the Toro Loco Red got rave reviews in the media but for some reason, I get a horrible headache after drinking a few glasses, which doesn't happen with other wines.
    No, that's a lie; I get the same headache if I drink Chardonnay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I couldn't find The Outlander, I must give it a looksee again.

• Advertisement

I couldn't find The Outlander, I must give it a looksee again.

Do. I'm enjoying it; it's my go-to wine at the moment.
    Here's a pic: 2rgza13.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

The chorizo flavoured sausages are back.

Result. :D

Are they the Brannans Mr. Pinks ones?

I had them last week, very nice although not as nice as Tesco's sausages (no chorizo ones)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

If you're going for own brand lager, I'd go for bottles over cans if possible.
    It's not always valid, but perception is definitely that cheap bottles are better than cheap cans.

Looks like Aldi have done a complete shake up of their ranges. Everything was fully stocked and a little bit different when in yesterday; I haven't had a chance to notice any good new additions, although salad section looked a lot better, just that a few things are missing/changed so far.

Swiss style Muesli - gone?
    Gluten free porridge, has changed brand to Kavanagh's; no verdict on it yet from the coeliacs in the house.
    Specially selected frozen angus quarter pounders - seem to have been replaced with Oakhurst ones (they had been a normal brand for a while before specially selected came in). They're still OK, but think the SS ones were nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

The bowl that is a bag salad is good. I got a bag of baby spinach for 65c, packet of shredded turkey for 99c, packet of Moroccan Falafels for 99c and a mango sauce to pour over for 60c. You mix them all together then yourself. Much nicer than the ready made salad boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Cazale wrote: »
    The bowl that is a bag salad is good. I got a bag of baby spinach for 65c, packet of shredded turkey for 99c, packet of Moroccan Falafels for 99c and a mango sauce to pour over for 60c. You mix them all together then yourself. Much nicer than the ready made salad boxes.

saw that the other day.
    good concept and will do well for those stores near offices / colleges etc...

Anyone fried the Foodie Market Peanut & Choc chip Cacao brownie bars?
    Come in a 3 pack in an orange box near the checkouts.

Delish!
    Seem healthier than a real brownie (made with date paste and other stuff instead of processed sugar), but do the job nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

whiskeyman wrote: »

Anyone fried the Foodie Market Peanut & Choc chip Cacao brownie bars?
    Come in a 3 pack in an orange box near the checkouts.

Delish!
    Seem healthier than a real brownie (made with date paste and other stuff instead of processed sugar), but do the job nicely!

I have seen these and been tempted a few times but haven't tried them yet. Might pick them up next time I'm in now on your recommendation.

I alternate between aldi and tesco depending on what I need. I think the Aldi hummus is a lot nicer. Tastes less salty and has a thicker texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've just come back from our local Aldi and not a kidney bean, cannelini bean, butter bean or chick pea to be seen :eek: The whole shelf above the freezer where they normally are was full of tinned marrowfat peas instead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Alun wrote: »
    I've just come back from our local Aldi and not a kidney bean, cannelini bean, butter bean or chick pea to be seen :eek: The whole shelf above the freezer where they normally are was full of tinned marrowfat peas instead :D

Same in naas two days ago. 6 different types of peas. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact they're selling chili beans as part of their Mexican specials.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,525 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The low sugar marmalade is good. Not sure how much they've reduced the sugar content but it tastes really fruity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Cazale wrote: »

Saw that myself the other day. Just bought one of the salad bowls and a pack of cooked chicken instead. Thought they were nice :D

(Not my pic)
    image1.jpg

Advertisement