Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Alun wrote: »
    I've just come back from our local Aldi and not a kidney bean, cannelini bean, butter bean or chick pea to be seen :eek: The whole shelf above the freezer where they normally are was full of tinned marrowfat peas instead :D

Same in Nutgrove for the past month. I asked where the kidney beans were gone and I was told they're waiting for stock.
    Funnily enough, my local Tesco hasn't had them in weeks either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭caviardreams

whiskeyman wrote: »
    saw that the other day.
    good concept and will do well for those stores near offices / colleges etc...

Anyone fried the Foodie Market Peanut & Choc chip Cacao brownie bars?
    Come in a 3 pack in an orange box near the checkouts.

Delish!
    Seem healthier than a real brownie (made with date paste and other stuff instead of processed sugar), but do the job nicely!

Oooh these sound very much like they might be the same as the pricey Pulsin ones? Must compare the nutritional info on the ones in Aldi to try and work it out!

http://www.pulsin.co.uk/peanut-choc-chip-raw-choc-brownie.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Whispered wrote: »
    Same in naas two days ago. 6 different types of peas. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact they're selling chili beans as part of their Mexican specials.

We must shop in the same Aldi......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

Where in the store is the 3 part salad? I couldn't find it yesterday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Beside the milks and butters.
    jenn1984 wrote: »
    Where in the store is the 3 part salad? I couldn't find it yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Cazale wrote: »
    The bowl that is a bag salad is good. I got a bag of baby spinach for 65c, packet of shredded turkey for 99c, packet of Moroccan Falafels for 99c and a mango sauce to pour over for 60c. You mix them all together then yourself. Much nicer than the ready made salad boxes.

I've had them a few times in the last week. I had the rocket leaves, shredded turkey and mango dressing. Then I just add my own cucumber, tomato or whatever is in the fridge. It's delicious but not very filling if you don't have the falafel or extras to throw in.

They must be trying to give Chopped a run for their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We must shop in the same Aldi......

Yeah I do all my stalking in supermarkets. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

Anyone try the guacamole/salsa/sour cream (I think) dip yet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭anewme

They must be trying to give Chopped a run for their money.

Nicer than chopped if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Beside the milks and butters.

Thanks-I was looking everywhere in the salad section the other day and couldn't find them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I'm mad to try that salad now.
    I had The Outlander wine and it was lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Tried the Outlander wine, very pleasant.

What's the story with the Brannan's sausages? I tried the Chorizo (pink? red?) ones and they were quite nice I thought, but then there's two others ... yellow and blue? ... both described as smokey, but no obvious difference between the two unless it's somewhere in the microscopic small print on the label that I can't read without a magnifying glass these days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Tried the Outlander wine, very pleasant.

What's the story with the Brannan's sausages? I tried the Chorizo (pink? red?) ones and they were quite nice I thought, but then there's two others ... yellow and blue? ... both described as smokey, but no obvious difference between the two unless it's somewhere in the microscopic small print on the label that I can't read without a magnifying glass these days :D

They should be smoky and sweet chilli. (Chorizo being my favourite though)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I'm not keen on those sausages, I find the texture a bit weird.
    But the German Bratwurst is back - that makes me happy :)

Overall I find Aldi very hit and miss at the moment. The pulses section is still very unsatisfactory. 50 shades of peas but no chick peas or kidney beans.
    They have also discontinued the Spelt Rolls which we loved. The other part baked rolls are rather insipid.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,379 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm not keen on those sausages, I find the texture a bit weird.
    But the German Bratwurst is back - that makes me happy :)

Overall I find Aldi very hit and miss at the moment. The pulses section is still very unsatisfactory. 50 shades of peas but no chick peas or kidney beans.
    They have also discontinued the Spelt Rolls which we loved. The other part baked rolls are rather insipid.
    Funny, I find all the "fresh" bread in Aldi incredibly salty! (and I'm a total salt fiend)

To the point where I don't buy it any more.

Never tried the spelt bread, though - sorry I appear to have missed that!

They should be smoky and sweet chilli. (Chorizo being my favourite though)
    Found something on their Facebook page ...

Products featured are Brannan’s Dogz Mr Pink The Sweet Chilli Sausage, Brannan’s Dogz Mr Yellow The Smokey Sausage and Brannan’s Dogz Mr Red The Chorizo Sausage. In-store every day.

Now I don't recall seeing the pink ones, but I could have sworn there were some blue ones that were described as smokey as well, ah well, maybe I was imagining things :)

I think the problem with the chickpeas / beans etc. is probably just a problem with the supplier .. often you'll see a whole range of products completely disappear for a week or so, only to reappear later under a new brand name. I'm guessing they just fell out with their current supplier over pricing or something, or vice versa, and it took some time time to find a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Tried the salad bag/bowl today ! Very impressed ! The lime and ginger dressing was very tasty and not too high on calories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

ArtyC wrote: »
    Tried the salad bag/bowl today ! Very impressed ! The lime and ginger dressing was very tasty and not too high on calories :)

I'm looking to try this myself but they only had a raspberry dressing left yesterday so I gave it a miss.

It might be nice with yogurt or other fruit but I wouldn't have thought it would be nice with falafels.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

I think the problem with the chickpeas / beans etc. is probably just a problem with the supplier .. often you'll see a whole range of products completely disappear for a week or so, only to reappear later under a new brand name. I'm guessing they just fell out with their current supplier over pricing or something, or vice versa, and it took some time time to find a new one.

I think Aldi (and Lidl) have a strategy whereby they withdraw a product until they think you've forgotten what it's like and then put an inferior version on the shelves :( .

Sometimes, though, those products go for good. For example: Aldi's olive pesto; Lidl's Senseo coffee pads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I already mentioned here that the kidney beans/chickpeas issue is not only in Lidl/Aldi.
    I've tried a few Tesco stores every single week for kidney beans and they don't have them.
    I think it's a supplier issue for a range of supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

fussyonion wrote: »
    I already mentioned here that the kidney beans/chickpeas issue is not only in Lidl/Aldi.
    I've tried a few Tesco stores every single week for kidney beans and they don't have them.
    I think it's a supplier issue for a range of supermarkets.

Tesco in Cork have all the beans and peas for sale online. They are even doing an offer on them right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Ahh, so magic disappearing beans aren't just in my Aldi (or not in my Aldi)

Maybe price has something to do with it, they're only 23c or something crazy like that for a tin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Id say its because they're selling all those Heinz creations at the minute, I haven't tried them yet and probably wont, I dont like flavoured beans like that, Id rather buy them plain and flavour them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Thargor wrote: »
    Id say its because they're selling all those Heinz creations at the minute, I haven't tried them yet and probably wont, I dont like flavoured beans like that, Id rather buy them plain and flavour them myself.

I thought the same exact thing today !!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Saw that myself the other day. Just bought one of the salad bowls and a pack of cooked chicken instead. Thought they were nice :D

(Not my pic)
    image1.jpg

Where about in the shop are these usually stocked? Are they stocked together? I ran into Aldi in a panic there, hadn't time to search properly so just picked up a bag of leaves and some falafel but didn't notice any packaged in the same way as the photo above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Where about in the shop are these usually stocked? Are they stocked together? I ran into Aldi in a panic there, hadn't time to search properly so just picked up a bag of leaves and some falafel but didn't notice any packaged in the same way as the photo above.

They're the other side of the shop near the milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I went in to get the salad today in Naas and they had all the salads and meat but no sauces. Asked one of the workers and they were out of stock. Kinda doesn't work if one of the components is missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ryath wrote: »
    They're the other side of the shop near the milk.

They keep moving things! Was out yesterday and planning a picnic so was seeking my usual triple sandwich pack and no sign in the usual place with all the salads.. came across them in a totally different place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

According to this article there was an issue with chickpeas which has affected the availability of Hummus in various supermarkets. Maybe this is why chickpeas are so scarce.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/apr/29/hummus-crisis-sheds-light-on-secret-world-of-mass-food-production

Advertisement