Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭xlogo

Anybody used their sun creams - are they good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

xlogo wrote: »

Yes, absolutely. I've used them in Spain and Portugal in degrees of 30+ for about 4 or 5 years now and have never had a problem. I'll be buying them again this year and would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

They don't go well with strawberries. Very sour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Ya I used a factor 50 in Gran Caniria last summer, came back as white as I left. Never got sunburned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

nc6000 wrote: »
    According to this article there was an issue with chickpeas which has affected the availability of Hummus in various supermarkets. Maybe this is why chickpeas are so scarce.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/apr/29/hummus-crisis-sheds-light-on-secret-world-of-mass-food-production

I'm living in hope that this is the reason why the Sweet Potato Pakoras have not been in stock for a while :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

I'm living in hope that this is the reason why the Sweet Potato Pakoras have not been in stock for a while :D

Picked up Sweet Potato Pakora during the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Alun wrote: »
    Found something on their Facebook page ...

Products featured are Brannan’s Dogz Mr Pink The Sweet Chilli Sausage, Brannan’s Dogz Mr Yellow The Smokey Sausage and Brannan’s Dogz Mr Red The Chorizo Sausage. In-store every day.

Now I don't recall seeing the pink ones, but I could have sworn there were some blue ones that were described as smokey as well, ah well, maybe I was imagining things :)

Speed in Sandyford today. Yellow and blue, both smoky

Alun wrote: »
    Found something on their Facebook page ...

Products featured are Brannan’s Dogz Mr Pink The Sweet Chilli Sausage, Brannan’s Dogz Mr Yellow The Smokey Sausage and Brannan’s Dogz Mr Red The Chorizo Sausage. In-store every day.

Now I don't recall seeing the pink ones, but I could have sworn there were some blue ones that were described as smokey as well, ah well, maybe I was imagining things :)

Spotted in Sandyford today; yellow and blue, both smoky. I took a picture and everything, just not sure how to add here from phone

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MB05

I know it's an Aldi thread but for those looking for kidney beans or chickpeas etc my Lidl had them today. Had plenty of both as well as butter beans and mixed beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Anyones ALDI still stock sushi? (Not sure if it was just for a week or if its permanently in stock)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Anyones ALDI still stock sushi? (Not sure if it was just for a week or if its permanently in stock)

Saw it yesterday in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

I got them on Friday in Rathmines. Never had them, but was intrigued after hearing about them here. Any suggestions how to serve them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I just bought the new Refreshing one, its a spray and its ruined my white t.shirt, cannot get the stains off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Spotted in Sandyford today; yellow and blue, both smoky. I took a picture and everything, just not sure how to add here from phone
    So I wasn't imagining things then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

The 4-packs of fresh lime & sweet chili / mixed pepper chicken burgers are back! I love them so much I actually stocked up on them last autumn so I'd have a stock in the freezer to keep me going over the winter :o

Seriously though, they are really delicious - I serve them in a soft roll with caramelized onion, swiss cheese, a grilled/fried slice of pineapple, lettuce and burger sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

B0jangles wrote: »
    The 4-packs of fresh lime & sweet chili / mixed pepper chicken burgers are back! I love them so much I actually stocked up on them last autumn so I'd have a stock in the freezer to keep me going over the winter :o

Seriously though, they are really delicious - I serve them in a soft roll with caramelized onion, swiss cheese, a grilled/fried slice of pineapple, lettuce and burger sauce.

Do you fry them?

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Do you fry them?

Yes - the way I make them is as follows: onions in the pan first, to fry gently for 5-10 mins, then when they are nice and soft and brown I raise the heat a bit and add the burger sauce-side up and the pineapple slice. When they are both nicely cooked on both sides and the onions are well caramelized, I add the cheese to the burger and cover the pan for a minute or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Yes - the way I make them is as follows: onions in the pan first, to fry gently for 5-10 mins, then when they are nice and soft and brown I raise the heat a bit and add the burger sauce-side up and the pineapple slice. When they are both nicely cooked on both sides and the onions are well caramelized, I add the cheese to the burger and cover the pan for a minute or two.

Are the burgers spicy B0jangles?
    Are the precooked, or raw when you buy them? I have never come across them, they sound lovely (as does your way of cooking them :) ).

Where are they usually located - freezer or fridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

They are raw and I wouldn't class them as spicy.

I'm having the mixed pepper tonight with the brioche buns.

Yes, as SB_Part2 says, they are raw minced chicken seasoned and then topped with either a pepper mix, (which looks like finely chopped peppers, not dry powdery pepper) or a sweet chili/lime glaze which is sweet, tangy and only a very little bit spicy. They are in the chilled food cabinet in the same general area as the chicken kievs etc - they can be a bit of a pain to find though, in my local aldi they usually have them displayed lying down in their box so if you're not looking pretty carefully they are easy to miss:

aITLIKQ.jpg

Top is the upper label, bottom is the side view :)

• Advertisement

Yes, as SB_Part2 says, they are raw minced chicken seasoned and then topped with either a pepper mix, (which looks like finely chopped peppers, not dry powdery pepper) or a sweet chili/lime glaze which is sweet, tangy and only a very little bit spicy. They are in the chilled food cabinet in the same general area as the chicken kievs etc - they can be a bit of a pain to find though, in my local aldi they usually have them displayed lying down in their box so if you're not looking pretty carefully they are easy to miss:

aITLIKQ.jpg

Top is the upper label, bottom is the side view :)

Any idea if their Gluten Free?

One of these things, where there's no real reason they would have to contain gluten, but y enever know.
    Will keep an eye out, they look good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

One of these things, where there's no real reason they would have to contain gluten, but y enever know.

I did a quick look, I dont think GF

Theyve info on their site
    Aldi Allergy information
    Gluten Intolerance list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Can I just say I HATE Childers Rd, Limerick Aldi since their 'makeover'. Constant out of stocks and all the decent managers & staff seem to be gone too.
    It was where I always shopped, and I absolutely hate going in there now :(

I'm sorry to say they are definitely NOT gluten free - just found the label and the second ingredient is breadcrumbs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cobham

I was going to post about meatballs that seemed to be gluten free. A definite reaction to same tonight so will have to cross them off. Otherwise I would recommend Aldi for a good selection of decent gluten free products at decent prices. My latest 'find' is the Zilch bread. And very fond of the gluten free pizzas... I get the cheese one and add my own extras. To be found in the freezer cabinets beside the regular ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,525 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Had those Chicken burgers this evening - the Chilli & Lime variety. They were ok, not the biggest burgers in the world so I had 3 :rolleyes:, kids loved them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Yeah, was in Aldi in Naas earlier (Monread) loads there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Had their salmon, spinach and sicilian lemon fishcakes at the weekend and they were delicious! They are they specially selected range.

cobham wrote: »
    I was going to post about meatballs that seemed to be gluten free. A definite reaction to same tonight so will have to cross them off. Otherwise I would recommend Aldi for a good selection of decent gluten free products at decent prices. My latest 'find' is the Zilch bread. And very fond of the gluten free pizzas... I get the cheese one and add my own extras. To be found in the freezer cabinets beside the regular ones.

Yep, we're very familiar with their GF range, which is great in general.

Regular GF buys for me are pasta, flour, porridge, biscuits, zilch bread, bread rolls. All as good if not better than versions in other super markets, and way more reasonably priced.

The only GF we really need to go elsewhere for still is beer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Yep, we're very familiar with their GF range, which is great in general.

Regular GF buys for me are pasta, flour, porridge, biscuits, zilch bread, bread rolls. All as good if not better than versions in other super markets, and way more reasonably priced.

The only GF we really need to go elsewhere for still is beer

I'm similar but I still shop for stock cubes, crackers, wraps, lasagne sheets.. it would be great if they could carry those!

The GF porridge recently changed to Kavanaghs and I just checked the non-GF version across the aisle. Exactly the same ingredient list/details etc. only different packaging. I wonder if there's any way that they are the exact same oats except half the quantity and price increased?! I know I can't risk it but would love to know.

Advertisement