Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I picked up a bottle of the Specially Selected Chocolate Irish Cream Liqueur in Aldi today for €9.

According to the cashier its limited edition for Christmas and they can't keep it in stock, my local store has sold thousands of it over the past few weeks apparently.

It's meant to be like the Baileys Belgian Chocolate Luxe apparently so I said for €9 I'd give it a try.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-range/christmas/christmas-drinks/spirits/product-detail/ps/p/specially-selected-chocolate-irish-cream-liqueur/

Hopefully its just as nice as the Baileys one. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I've been drinking the Aldi Cava for the last few weeks, the one with the gold label. Really nice, very drinkable and only €10

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Zascar wrote: »
    I've been drinking the Aldi Cava for the last few weeks, the one with the gold label. Really nice, very drinkable and only €10

Only £3.89 in the UK :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Alun wrote: »
    Only £3.89 in the UK :mad:

Huge tax on sparkling wines here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

It beat Moët & Chandon hands down on a programme on BBC called 'Eat Well for Less' yesterday about the stupid amounts some people overspend at Christmas. It was quite enjoyable despite that pillock Gregg Wallace being in it. Its on BBC iPlayer if you can access it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Their Chicken Casserole mix is really delicious and only 49c... also the beef one. Both to my mind are better than Knorr.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Plenty of the Spanish Hot Choc in there at the moment.
    Pricey at 3:99, but amazing on these cold evenings!

I picked up a bottle of the Specially Selected Chocolate Irish Cream Liqueur in Aldi today for €9.

According to the cashier its limited edition for Christmas and they can't keep it in stock, my local store has sold thousands of it over the past few weeks apparently.

It's meant to be like the Baileys Belgian Chocolate Luxe apparently so I said for €9 I'd give it a try.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-range/christmas/christmas-drinks/spirits/product-detail/ps/p/specially-selected-chocolate-irish-cream-liqueur/

Hopefully its just as nice as the Baileys one. :)
    I forgot to post back before now about this :o

Its delicious. Its not quite as rich or chocolately as the Baileys but its really not far behind it either, for €10 I would definitely get it again.

There really isn't a huge difference between this and the Baileys, the difference is noticeable but its not big enough that it would put me off either of them.

Would definitely recommend this if you like the chocolate baileys but its hard to find and it is expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Make with milk or water?

Id love a decent hot chocolate you could make with just adding water to a few scoops in a mug instead of dicking around with a saucepan of hot milk late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Thargor wrote: »
    Make with milk or water?

Id love a decent hot chocolate you could make with just adding water to a few scoops in a mug instead of dicking around with a saucepan of hot milk late at night.

pretty sure it's milk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yeah it's milk, and that Spanish stuff is amazeballs

Its got to be milk, making it with water is just awful.

Has anyone ever tried their Southern fried chicken?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever tried their Southern fried chicken?

Yeah I'd say they're only so so. The chicken chunks are good but they rarely seem to be in stock. I'd find the odd bag buried in the middle of the goujons.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I wish they would make that chocolate cream liquer (and Baileys too) with a flippin wide necked bottle like a carafe.

Then I would be able to get a spatula in there and well.... lick the spoon. I always think there is SOOOO much more left in the bottle because I can't see what's left (opaque bottle) and yet nothing comes out when I turn the bottle upside down! Sad of me isn't it?

I wish they would make that chocolate cream liquer (and Baileys too) with a flippin wide necked bottle like a carafe.

Then I would be able to get a spatula in there and well.... lick the spoon. I always think there is SOOOO much more left in the bottle because I can't see what's left (opaque bottle) and yet nothing comes out when I turn the bottle upside down! Sad of me isn't it?

Straw ??? :D

I put a TINY drop of milk in the bottle and give it a good shaking, then leave it upside down for a good while, gets everything out ;)
    Kat1170 wrote: »
    Straw ??? :D
    I don't think you'd get a straw big enough for the bottles lol :D (wish we could though).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

New Rashers in Aldi are wow - Whiskey Smoked Streaky Rashers - €1.99

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Are they in all stores? Or, at least, where did you find them?

I'm heading to aldi this morning, they sound like just the thing for a tasty brunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Are they in all stores? Or, at least, where did you find them?

I'm heading to aldi this morning, they sound like just the thing for a tasty brunch!

Yes all stores, part of Specially Selected range, had them in East Wall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Frozen tuna steaks..........very light in calories and really tasty.

vicwatson wrote: »
    New Rashers in Aldi are wow - Whiskey Smoked Streaky Rashers - €1.99
    Excellent stuff. I'm heading to Aldi this week so I must pick some up if there's any in stock.

I sometimes get some in Dunnes the very odd, but they are nearly €4 a pack, only get 5 in the pack too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Excellent stuff. I'm heading to Aldi this week so I must pick some up if there's any in stock.

I sometimes get some in Dunnes the very odd, but they are nearly €4 a pack, only get 5 in the pack too.

Got some today (well, yesterday now). They were OK. Bit thick cut for my liking, and incredibly salty (and yes, I know they're rashers!). They didn't taste much of whiskey!

Not bad, but I wouldn't be writing home about them tbh.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Got some today (well, yesterday now). They were OK. Bit thick cut for my liking, and incredibly salty (and yes, I know they're rashers!). They didn't taste much of whiskey!

Not bad, but I wouldn't be writing home about them tbh.

I saw them in Killorglin, I did not buy as I don't like streaky. The Beechwood smoked ones are lovely though.

I tried their Breaded Chicken Kiev Supreme and it was very nice indeed, not quite as nice as the M&S one but a very close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭accensi0n

The jumbo sausages with caramalised onions are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I am drinking it at the moment and am distinctly underwhelmed.
    Convenient? Yes. Great taste? mmmm no.
    I think its the low fat part thats letting it down.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I am drinking it at the moment and am distinctly underwhelmed.
    Convenient? Yes. Great taste? mmmm no.
    I think its the low fat part thats letting it down.

I always find Low Fat means low flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Zelda247 wrote: »
    I always find Low Fat means low flavour.
    I should have looked more closely, the ingredients list Starch....

• Advertisement

Can recommend their 'Smoky Bacon and buttered Leek Stuffing'

Had it with some Venison hearts yesterday and it turned a cut of meat that can be quite mundane into something very, very tasty. :):)

Advertisement