Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

leahyl wrote: »
    Had their salmon, spinach and sicilian lemon fishcakes at the weekend and they were delicious! They are they specially selected range.

They're fab, aren't they?
    Doing them for dinner tonight.
    Try the Thai Prawn one aswell. Just as gorge.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

fussyonion wrote: »
    They're fab, aren't they?
    Doing them for dinner tonight.
    Try the Thai Prawn one aswell. Just as gorge.

Thanks for the recommendation! Will do :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I love those fish cakes. My local Aldi always runs out. I really need to buy them in bulk when they are there and freeze them.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cobham

Yes I would love to find a cheaper GF beer. I like the Daura one by Estrella and it sometimes comes up in Lidl as part of their special GF week otherwise it is pricey enough. There are some others about but I find the 500 ml bottle too large.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Chick peas, butter beans, cannellini beans and red kidney beans were back in my Aldi today!!!

The brand is East End, which is a brand I normally associate with Asian stores, also for large bags of Indian spices etc., so I'm not sure if this is a permanent change or just a stop gap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Still none in my local one, but I live in hope :)

I have tins of East End pulses here. Bought in a Pakistani store.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Alun wrote: »
    The brand is East End, which is a brand I normally associate with Asian stores
    east end stuff is appearing in my local tesco too. They have an "asian supermarket section" which is a fair bit away from the other asian stuff. All brands you typically only see in asian supermarkets. Most costs more and/or is in smaller jars/bottles

this price is ok
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=260743172

I just see now they have a section called "speciality groceries" and some appear there,
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=speciality%20groceries

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Alun wrote: »
    Chick peas, butter beans, cannellini beans and red kidney beans were back in my Aldi today!!!

The brand is East End, which is a brand I normally associate with Asian stores, also for large bags of Indian spices etc., so I'm not sure if this is a permanent change or just a stop gap.

There was only one single tin of red kidney beans in the Santry branch today, which I grabbed. It was East End too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Had all the East End beans down my local this morning...not huge amounts of each though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Plenty of beans in my
    LIDL
    today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Had the Angus Burger with Pulled Pork topping tonight. Very nice! Bought it because I thought my son might like it and was surprised by how tasty it was.
    The topping comes in a separate pouch. They had burgers with caramelised onion topping, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,379 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Trying a bottle of Sancerre this evening - haven't bought wine in ages from Aldi so no idea if it's a regular or a special - it's very smelly! But very lovely. Good value for a tenner IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Pesto Mayo is great

Big fan of Aldi here. We do our weekly shop there, so we've been trying some of their other stuff over the last few weeks:

- The chocolate orange bar yoke that's often at the checkout is really tasty. Mightn't be a good thing that it's at the checkout though.
    - They've just starting stocking some amazing falafel in the fridge section.
    - Battered calamari is very tasty too.
    - The sushi is great!
    - For Easter, they had an amazing stuffed lamb, cook in a bag type thing. It made one of the nicest dinners I've had in some time.
    - We'd normally get the smoothies to have for breakfast.
    - The oval pizzas in the fridge section are great.
    - They've started to do these cheese burger melts, you pop them on the burger when cooking.
    - The brioche buns now come seeded!
    - For wine, we love the Touraine (white) and the Pinot Noir (Red). Really really tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

^^With you on the burger buns, and burger melts! Haven't tried the calamari yet but it's next on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

The natural yogurt is divine, the low fat version, not tried the fat free.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,379 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Does anyone know if Aldi (or Lidl, for that matter!) do small individual pots of natural yoghurt any more? I've looked and looked, and all I can find is the giant buckets, which I'd have no hope of finishing in the time allowed (even with stretching it out a bit, which I would).

All seems to be Greek style these days and I just don't like it as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭treenytru

Lidl do a nice individual pot of organic yogurt 150g for about 49C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Aldi (or Lidl, for that matter!) do small individual pots of natural yoghurt any more? I've looked and looked, and all I can find is the giant buckets, which I'd have no hope of finishing in the time allowed (even with stretching it out a bit, which I would).

All seems to be Greek style these days and I just don't like it as much.

I can polish off the 500g one in one go!... its so yummy! Like you I am not kenos the greek ones prefer the natural.
    Also it is full of natural pro-biotics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

As an aside, yoghurt can and will stay fresh for a ridiculously long time past its printed use by date as long as you are extremely scrupulous about keeping the tub closed and only using a perfectly clean spoon to take some out of the tub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

They're doing new Thai Red and green curry pastes. Made a chicken and pineapple red curry with their Mange tout and baby corn and had it with the tilda microwavable brown rice. Beautiful meal for two made for about €5/6, gotta love Aldi!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Bassfish wrote: »
    They're doing new Thai Red and green curry pastes. Made a chicken and pineapple red curry with their Mange tout and baby corn and had it with the tilda microwavable brown rice. Beautiful meal for two made for about €5/6, gotta love Aldi!

I am delighted to hear that they are doing Thai Green curry paste. I will head up to Aldi tomorrow to pick a few jars up...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Only read the last page, so apologies if it's been mentioned, but have they stopped doing sandwiches/wraps now? Popped in today wanting to get one along with some fruit, and there wasn't any :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Only read the last page, so apologies if it's been mentioned, but have they stopped doing sandwiches/wraps now? Popped in today wanting to get one along with some fruit, and there wasn't any

I got a wrap today, purely because I was pushed for time, it was gak, tasteless, I couldn't eat it and I was hungry AND I've never not eaten a sandwich of any kind....also got one of those fruit type drinks at the till, berries with added vitamins, also gak, tasted like liquidised Tunes (those menthol sweets)
    On the plus side, my fave lime and Coriander chicken fillets are back!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

Only read the last page, so apologies if it's been mentioned, but have they stopped doing sandwiches/wraps now? Popped in today wanting to get one along with some fruit, and there wasn't any :(

In my local Aldi they still have them, but they've moved them to a different fridge, maybe it's the same for yours?
    They used to be in the fridge by the fruit and veg with all of the coleslaw and soups etc, now they're over by the milk fridge where the cheese and yoghurts are.
    Again, your local Aldi could be different but I'm going on the assumption that all Aldi's are laid out the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Cutie 3.14 wrote: »
    In my local Aldi they still have them, but they've moved them to a different fridge, maybe it's the same for yours?
    They used to be in the fridge by the fruit and veg with all of the coleslaw and soups etc, now they're over by the milk fridge where the cheese and yoghurts are.
    Again, your local Aldi could be different but I'm going on the assumption that all Aldi's are laid out the same

Saw them in Sligo this morning but in the fridge with falafels and coleslaw when they used to be over by the sliced meats and cheese!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

The Toro Loco Organic Red is fabulous, and about €6 or less.

I wanted to try the Toro Loco that was recommend in this thread a few pages back but couldn't find it so picked up the organic one as it was all they had, highly recommend it.

I recommend the berry tea a while ago, but they haven't had it the last couple of times I was in. I hope its not discontinued now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

prodsc wrote: »
    Saw them in Sligo this morning but in the fridge with falafels and coleslaw when they used to be over by the sliced meats and cheese!!

Haha! Making us work for those bargains aren't they!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The sugar free sweets by the till are lovely. I got the Cappuccino one, is really nice 69c each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

fin12 wrote: »
    The sugar free sweets by the till are lovely. I got the Cappuccino one, is really nice 69c each.

Yeah they're gorgeous. Loving the rhubarb and custard ones too.
    Gonna get some for the plane when we head off on hols.

Advertisement