Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Had the fishmonger Hot Smoked Salmon Fillets today, so nice. €2.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Bassfish wrote: »
    They're doing new Thai Red and green curry pastes. Made a chicken and pineapple red curry with their Mange tout and baby corn and had it with the tilda microwavable brown rice. Beautiful meal for two made for about ?5/6, gotta love Aldi!
    Had this during the week...fab..drop of cream and coconut milk with chicken and spring onions ,just trim onion and spilt in two rather than chop.
    Tried the green paste tonight didn't find it as nice and found the red a lot hotter..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭ongarite

Sorry if has been asked before.
    The Brooklea Greek yogurt in 500g tubs (same style as FAGE) has been out of stock in my local for the last 2 weeks.
    Is it gone for good?

The Greek style alternatives from Duneen Dairy are not as good IMO; too runy, watery IMO.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jQFoOAB8VZY/WH-yzMQPMUI/AAAAAAAAJug/ruMA7rB2U0UBUkhgTQDobFH0AnqS6moPQCKgB/s1600/IMG_20170117_185706.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭caviardreams

ongarite wrote: »
    Sorry if has been asked before.
    The Brooklea Greek yogurt in 500g tubs (same style as FAGE) has been out of stock in my local for the last 2 weeks.
    Is it gone for good?

The Greek style alternatives from Duneen Dairy are not as good IMO; too runy, watery IMO.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jQFoOAB8VZY/WH-yzMQPMUI/AAAAAAAAJug/ruMA7rB2U0UBUkhgTQDobFH0AnqS6moPQCKgB/s1600/IMG_20170117_185706.jpg

I picked it up in Stillorgan last Sunday. Can just be difficult to get as it's popular I find!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

fin12 wrote: »
    The sugar free sweets by the till are lovely. I got the Cappuccino one, is really nice 69c each.
    Yeah they are really nice actually, Ive been eating them at work to get over fag cravings after tea.

• Advertisement

This pizza is in a slightly different black box in the freezers and its called Pizza Romagna these days but theres only 3 different ones in the frozen black box range so you'll have no trouble finding it, agree with the author of this article, its as good as a restaurant pizza, the base and toppings are near perfect, my new favourite frozen pizza anyway and Ive tried them all at this stage, near perfect:

http://www.alliespizzandgarlicbread.com/pizza-reviews/aldi-stone-baked-romagna-salami-rocket-mozarella-pizza-review

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thargor wrote: »
    This pizza is in a slightly different black box in the freezers and its called Pizza Romagna these days but theres only 3 different ones in the frozen black box range so you'll have no trouble finding it, agree with the author of this article, its as good as a restaurant pizza, the base and toppings are near perfect, my new favourite frozen pizza anyway and Ive tried them all at this stage, near perfect:

http://www.alliespizzandgarlicbread.com/pizza-reviews/aldi-stone-baked-romagna-salami-rocket-mozarella-pizza-review

Is this a regular product or does it come and go?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is this a regular product or does it come and go?

It's regular. The packaging was changed/jazzed up a few months ago but the product remained the same. The romagna one is my favourite, absolutely delicious for a freezer pizza.

Also, just to be clear- romagna is just the name of the salami and rocket pizza within that range, I think there are two or three other topping types.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 accordingtoger

I love the microwave pouch Quinoa, Bulgar Wheat & Wholegrain rice. I know it isn't as good as fresh but for a quick dinner it tastes really great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Along with the salami/rocket romagna, there's a goats cheese one, a hot n spicy pepperoni one (etna?) and the last is I think some kind of chicken one but I'm not 100% on that.

Also the 1.99 fresh pizzas have a really really good base - they come in ham/pineapple and pepperoni. When aldi were selling bread-baking stuff I got a 12 inch circular earthenware baking platter from them that I now use as a pizza stone and it's fantastic :D

(It did need serious seasoning at first though; as sold they are like glue when it comes to things sticking to them)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I love the microwave pouch Quinoa, Bulgar Wheat & Wholegrain rice. I know it isn't as good as fresh but for a quick dinner it tastes really great.

I loved this also, its great value and tastes fab. Only thing is I think the pouch smells a bit when microwaving so I put into a dish before putting into the microwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Chilli bratwurst are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Just had some salt and vinegar passions hand cooked crisps - they are amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

vicwatson wrote: »
    Just had some salt and vinegar passions hand cooked crisps - they are amazing

The sweet chilli and sour creme are really nice aswell, way nicer than Lidl ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

The chickpea shortage seems to be affecting the UK stores too. The shelves had been empty the last few weeks, today they had been replaced by the East Web brand as mentioned before, but still no chickpeas! Tins and tins of butter beans and kidney beans but not a chickpea in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

harr wrote: »
    Bassfish wrote: »
    They're doing new Thai Red and green curry pastes. Made a chicken and pineapple red curry with their Mange tout and baby corn and had it with the tilda microwavable brown rice. Beautiful meal for two made for about ?5/6, gotta love Aldi!
    Had this during the week...fab..drop of cream and coconut milk with chicken and spring onions ,just trim onion and spilt in two rather than chop.
    Tried the green paste tonight didn't find it as nice and found the red a lot hotter..
    Good to know! As well as the curry I used the red paste as a marinade for chicken and roasted it. Lovely in a wrap with salad. Would be great if they did a yellow or massaman paste, any one I've tried from other places tend to disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,303 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Anyone else buy the sourdough bread and noticed the smaller slices in recent weeks? It's only a small change but I don't like change. They are probably a little thicker to compensate but I feel like am eating less. My triangle toast looks sh*te now because the slices are shorter :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Oat23 wrote: »
    Anyone else buy the sourdough bread and noticed the smaller slices in recent weeks? It's only a small change but I don't like change. They are probably a little thicker to compensate but I feel like am eating less. My triangle toast looks sh*te now because the slices are shorter :(.

I didnt know aldi did sourdough bread...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,379 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's a sliced pan that really bears no resemblance to actual sourdough bread. It's nice enough, but I wouldn't be raving about it.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    It's a sliced pan that really bears no resemblance to actual sourdough bread. It's nice enough, but I wouldn't be raving about it.
    Its the best toasting bread Ive ever found, like the kind Gordon Ramsay would serve a poached egg on :D

But yeah absolutely nothing to do with sourdough, do Aldi not have any bakers or chefs signing off on that kind of thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Anyone seen these ready meals in Aldi ?

aldi_zpsgytjyymo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

aldi_zpsgytjyymo.jpg

No, probably part of the UK range, they seem to have lots of products that aren't sold in Irish stores though.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Thargor wrote: »
    Its the best toasting bread Ive ever found, like the kind Gordon Ramsay would serve a poached egg on :D

Is it good enough to make an idiot sandwich out of it?

giphy.gif

aldi_zpsgytjyymo.jpg

Not specifically that one but I noticed lots of new pre made meals like that in the freezers.

Not sure if it's been posted but a few have been looking for chickpeas...big jars now in the "taste of Iberia " section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

harr wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been posted but a few have been looking for chickpeas...big jars now in the "taste of Iberia " section.

That's In Lidl, this is the Aldi thread ;)

That's In Lidl, this is the Aldi thread ;)
    Sure enough I should have said what supermarket they were in...might have been handy :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Plenty of chickpeas and red kidney beans in the Santry branch today, all East End brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?
    Donald Trump never paid to have a lentil on him. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,379 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Don't know if they're new or I just haven't noticed them before (I don't look in the sweet freezers much) - I got a box of the "mini ice creams" recently and just tried one.

They're the cutest little things! A proper little mini-Magnum!

The ones I got are ginger and pistachio - I got them because they have dark choc coatings, there are other flavours covered in milk/white choc.

Tried the ginger one just now, and I'm well impressed. Looking forward to trying the pistachio soon.

Yum!:)

Advertisement