Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

HeidiHeidi wrote:
    Don't know if they're new or I just haven't noticed them before (I don't look in the sweet freezers much) - I got a box of the "mini ice creams" recently and just tried one.

HeidiHeidi wrote:
    Don't know if they're new or I just haven't noticed them before (I don't look in the sweet freezers much) - I got a box of the "mini ice creams" recently and just tried one.

HeidiHeidi wrote:
    They're the cutest little things! A proper little mini-Magnum!

HeidiHeidi wrote:
    The ones I got are ginger and pistachio - I got them because they have dark choc coatings, there are other flavours covered in milk/white choc.

HeidiHeidi wrote:
    Tried the ginger one just now, and I'm well impressed. Looking forward to trying the pistachio soon.

They sound gorgeous, totally looking for them tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Belmont Biscuits.

White Chocolate Fingers

Oh sweet Jesus delicious, identical to the Cadburys ones which are rare to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    They sound gorgeous, totally looking for them tomorrow!!

Bought the mini coconut ones today. Very scrumptious!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Belmont Biscuits.

White Chocolate Fingers

Oh sweet Jesus delicious, identical to the Cadburys ones which are rare to find.

White choc fingers?????
    There goes my healthy eating buzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Aldi seem to be doing a wider range of sauces, mainly Bramwells. There's a buffalo wing sauce, burger sauce, hot dog sauce, pesto mayo, bbq mayo etc. Tried the buffalo wing sauce, not as good as Frank's but can certainly be used in an emergency. Also bought a Kentucky Bourbon bbq sauce and it was unreal.
    They're also doing two varieties of a Paleo muesli, the nutty one is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I tired the salad bowl. I got spinach leaves, tikka chicken, Mediterranean falafel and oriental dressing. I liked all it except the falafel was too dry and crumbled to pieces too easily. The chicken was very juicy though. I would rather have had two portions of the chicken instead. Someone was asking about the sandwiches, they had wraps and sandwiches in the fridge right next to the salad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Interesting combination of flavours! Did it all taste good together?

Whispered wrote: »
    Interesting combination of flavours! Did it all taste good together?

The dressing was piquant so it kind of added to it. I could have done without the falafel but it tasted grand. They were the better choices out of what was there really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I like the falafel but have only had it with the raspberry dressing I might try it with the oriental one next time!

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    I like the falafel but have only had it with the raspberry dressing I might try it with the oriental one next time!

I just checked the rubbish there and it was cajun chicken and asian dressing, pretty much the same but that's what's on the packaging.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I do not recommend their fake cheese slices :(. They made my burger sad last night.

I like their new frozen bake at home croissants. Haven't tried the Pain O'Chocolat.

10 mins in the air fryer lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

gizmo81 wrote: »
    I like their new frozen bake at home croissants. Haven't tried the Pain O'Chocolat.

10 mins in the air fryer lol

Now I wish there was a 1970's action film featuring french-irish Kung-fu master Pain O'Chocolat cleaning up the mean streets of New York City.

The soundtrack would be amazing.

(all joking aside I really want to try those croissants but I have no freezer space at the mo :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

We buy our Parmesan cheese from Aldi. It's excellent.

D.

Hahahaha I was trying to sell them to an Oirish palate ;):D
    B0jangles wrote: »
    Now I wish there was a 1970's action film featuring french-irish Kung-fu master Pain O'Chocolat cleaning up the mean streets of New York City.

The soundtrack would be amazing.

(all joking aside I really want to try those croissants but I have no freezer space at the mo :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,525 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

So I bought a bottle of their Specially Selected Chocolate Sauce yesterday with the intention of pouring it over ice cream. However, when I opened the bottle it was too thick and wouldn't pour.

'Stick it in the microwave!' they said. But the bottle label has metalic ink on it and will spark.

There was no instructions on the bottle, any ideas? :o

So I bought a bottle of their Specially Selected Chocolate Sauce yesterday with the intention of pouring it over ice cream. However, when I opened the bottle it was too thick and wouldn't pour.

'Stick it in the microwave!' they said. But the bottle label has metalic ink on it and will spark.

Put it into a saucepan of hot water until the consistency changes. You could always take the label off too and then use microwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Can we really not put metal items in the microwave? I was heating up something recently and left a spoon in the bowl which went into the microwave and we're all still alive. It was only for 30 odd seconds but I didn't notice any sparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Think I'm addicted to their honey Greek yogurt, use it every night with some oats and leave in the fridge until the morning and top with fruit of some sort. Lovely and creamy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Put it into a saucepan of hot water until the consistency changes. You could always take the label off too and then use microwave.

the hot water will probably loosen the label too, so easy to take off (presuming its the paper type), so could be microwaved next time. I do not like the idea of repeatedly heating and cooling it though.

I would stick a skewer or the end of a spoon or something that could fit in the neck and try and get some out that way.

nc6000 wrote: »
    Can we really not put metal items in the microwave? I was heating up something recently and left a spoon in the bowl which went into the microwave and we're all still alive. It was only for 30 odd seconds but I didn't notice any sparks.
    spoons are usually OK, as long as there is also a reasonable amount of food/liquid also being cooked, and that the spoon is not near the enclosure/walls -you would have to check your instructions, its very thin or sharp things which really cause trouble, a fork may spark when a spoon would not. Many microwaves now come with instructions on what metals are OK. You can use tinfoil in many, but it must have no sharp cut edges on it. I had a microwave pot noodle type thing actual go on fire in seconds, the peel off lid was foil and a tiny sliver was left on the paper cup.

Many are still under the impression you can never ever have metal in any microwave, the fact some have metal turntables must really confuse those people!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,525 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Sorted!

Stuck it in the microwave for a minute. No sparks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Anyone seen this write up on suncream?

Aldis have come out on top.

https://www.playpennies.com/news-and-recalls/this-years-dont-buy-sun-cream-revealed-by-which-172528

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Anyone seen this write up on suncream?

Aldis have come out on top.

https://www.playpennies.com/news-and-recalls/this-years-dont-buy-sun-cream-revealed-by-which-172528

Doesn't surprise me at all - had Aldi's last couple of years and had absolutely no complaints. (And I burn easily!!)

The suncreams came in in bargain alerts a fair few times. I think they also do a version of P20, the expensive stuff you put on once and it lasts the day and is waterproof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

rubadub wrote: »
    The suncreams came in in bargain alerts a fair few times. I think they also do a version of P20, the expensive stuff you put on once and it lasts the day and is waterproof.

Oh I'd love to know if the P20 dupe is any good - has anyone roadtested?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

My sons who work as lifeguards on the beach during the summer have used it for the last few years and are happy with it. No burns and no constant reapplication.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

I have used their 'Calypso Once A Day' for the past few years and think it is fantastic. Used it both at home and abroad, have never burnt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

My sons who work as lifeguards on the beach during the summer have used it for the last few years and are happy with it. No burns and no constant reapplication.
    Layinghen wrote: »
    I have used their 'Calypso Once A Day' for the past few years and think it is fantastic. Used it both at home and abroad, have never burnt.

Thanks both - would you happen to remember how much it is?

Advertisement