Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Re Suncream etc. I cannot recommend the Refreshing Version in a can, it ruined a white t.shirt. It is also supposed to be non sticky but feels yucky nothing like refreshing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I've yet to find any sunscreen that doesn't eventually stain clothes, especially white ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Thanks both - would you happen to remember how much it is?

From memory I think it is about €5.99 "expensive" compared to their other sun lotions but really worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Kat1170 wrote: »
    I've yet to find any sunscreen that doesn't eventually stain clothes, especially white ones.

Yeah thats been my experience too. I bought the Nivea aerosol spray for my most recent holidays and it definitely left some yellow markings on white clothes that we wore. If came out of most of my OH's tshirts after 2-3 washes but I ended up throwing some things away. That said, I only ever buy cheap white things for holidays in the full knowledge that this is a likely outcome! I wouldnt risk my nice normal clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I know it's aldi thread but the LIDL suncream is top notch, the 50 spf for kids is really a steal at 2.50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The suncream may be good, but it tastes rotten.

What does taste lovely however is the new specially selected butterscotch mousse. hmmmmm hmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The specially selected carrot cake with walnuts on top is awesome, great deal at €2.99

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

vicwatson wrote: »
    The specially selected carrot cake with walnuts on top is awesome, great deal at €2.99
    The Victoria Sponge in the same range on the other hand was disgusting when I tried it, too sickly to be edible, I had to bin it. The chocolate cake is nice though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

They have changed their Tortilla Chilli Chips 200g :mad:

I noticed the packaging had slightly changed and the nutritional information varied a bit..but the texture and the taste is really different :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Had some Guinness and Leek sausages yesterday that were very nice. I'm normally a bit wary of things like that because often you can't discern any actual taste difference due to the magic ingredient, but in this case there definitely is a difference, although if you'd put them in front of me without telling me it was Guiness I probably wouldn't have guessed if you get my drift?

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Had some Guinness and Leek sausages yesterday that were very nice. I'm normally a bit wary of things like that because often you can't discern any actual taste difference due to the magic ingredient, but in this case there definitely is a difference, although if you'd put them in front of me without telling me it was Guiness I probably wouldn't have guessed if you get my drift?
    Oh good, I have a pack of them in the fridge, was worried they'd have gone overboard on the stout flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

Just had (an embarrassingly large amount of) the Raspberry Sorbet/Chocolate Ice Cream Swirl - the two are in the same tub (about half and half) with a very small vein of a more intense frozen raspberry coulis type substance running down through it too.
    It's in the Specially Selected range and labelled new. Absolutely delicious!
    I added some dark chocolate chunks to give it a bit of extra texture and it was absolutely perfect.
    With the raspberry sorbet half you could even pretend it's part of your five a day. :) Go try it! (But don't blame me when you're three stone heavier by the end of the summer.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Just got Nadur Beeswax and Almond Handcream (Sunday Special) Irish Made, smells lovely and rubs in well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I tried their Skyr today, and will be coming back for more.
    It's really, really tasty, thick and not too sweet, and unlike Lidl's it has no artificial sweeteners (I hate the taste of those :()
    So thumbs up for Aldi's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Shenshen wrote: »
    I tried their Skyr today, and will be coming back for more.
    It's really, really tasty, thick and not too sweet, and unlike Lidl's it has no artificial sweeteners (I hate the taste of those :()
    So thumbs up for Aldi's!

I'm obsessed with this lately. My fridge is currently overflowing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Sorry Shenshen....what is Skyr ?? What type of produce.....Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

It's yoghurt, from Iceland I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

They call it yoghurt, but it's strained and very thick. To me, it's a lot more like quark or fromage frais, if you're familiar with that?

According to Ch4 Food Unwrapped it is technically a fresh cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭fiachraX

Shenshen wrote: »
    They call it yoghurt, but it's strained and very thick. To me, it's a lot more like quark or fromage frais, if you're familiar with that?
    Kat1170 wrote: »
    According to Ch4 Food Unwrapped it is technically a fresh cheese.

Fromage frais = fresh cheese :) - if I haven't forgotten all my French!

• Advertisement

fiachraX wrote: »
    Fromage frais = fresh cheese :) - if I haven't forgotten all my French!

That's all very well, except its Ferskur osti ;);)

Petits Filous is sold as Fromage Frais, but I certainly wouldn't consider it Fresh Cheese .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Bought the most gorgeous bars there at the weekend - gluten free (which doesn't make a difference to me really, but might to someone else on here), dark chocolate, nut and sea salt - they are so good! The specially selected range - 2.99 for 4 I think, but well worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Anyone else think that the specially selected madras curry sauce is not nearly as nice as it used to be? I used it a good few times last year and it was gorgeous, definitely the best, freshest-tasting jar curry I've ever had. Last night I made it again with chicken, onions and peppers and the base sauce tasted quite unpleasant and had a definite preservative-y tang. I had to add a feckload of extras (including freshly ground coriander, garam masala, fresh black pepper, bit of amchoor powder) to make it taste better and even then it was only 'ok'

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Kavanagh's Organic porridge. I wonder have they changed the recipe as it taste's different, not a nice by any means. Just bought the Bunalun Organic one and its lovely.

Alun wrote: »
    Thargor wrote: »
    Oh good, I have a pack of them in the fridge, was worried they'd have gone overboard on the stout flavour.
    Not great, pretty disgusting actually, the dogs are getting the other half of the pack. They looked great but the Guinness taste was more chemical than the type of Guinness taste you get off stout pies if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thargor wrote: »
    Not great, pretty disgusting actually, the dogs are getting the other half of the pack. They looked great but the Guinness taste was more chemical than the type of Guinness taste you get off stout pies if you know what I mean.

Fair enough. I liked them.

Tried the new Turkey sausages, they reminded me of Turkey Grill steaks we used to get in the 90's.

They were nice enough, but at 7g of Fat per sausage it defeats the purpose of having a turkey sausage, doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Tried the new Turkey sausages, they reminded me of Turkey Grill steaks we used to get in the 90's.

They were nice enough, but at 7g of Fat per sausage it defeats the purpose of having a turkey sausage, doesn't it?
    Would they have less salt and filler than an average pork sausage?

So the turkey sausage has .53 sodium per sausage.

They contain 60% turkey followed secondly by chicken fat.

I remember the skinless regular sausages beside them in Aldi were same or less fat.

Didn't check them against regular sausages we would buy.

Whispered wrote: »
    Would they have less salt and filler than an average pork sausage?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Got a pack of specially selected pork and chorizo burgers. They apparently had paprika and chillinin addition to the chorizo, so I was a bit worried about the spice level. I cooked them last night, and A) the amount of oil that came out during cooking, and dropped out during eating, was mental, and B) they were incredibly bland. Honestly, they tasted like nothing. It was a very disappointing burger :(

Advertisement