Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

They have a new mini magnum type box . Half white chocolate raspberry and half salted caramel! They are divine

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Authentic Greek yogurt in the big tub. Cannot be beaten for creaminess. I mix it with honey and stuff. Gawjus. Seriously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

ArtyC wrote: »
    They have a new mini magnum type box . Half white chocolate raspberry and half salted caramel! They are divine

They used to have them full-size, dangerously delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Men are from Mars minervois. Fit you Fitou wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Authentic Greek yogurt in the big tub. Cannot be beaten for creaminess. I mix it with honey and stuff. Gawjus. Seriously.

Yes. Seconded. It's excellent. Gets even creamier as you go down the tub as water leaks out from the yoghurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭caviardreams

arian wrote: »
    Yes. Seconded. It's excellent. Gets even creamier as you go down the tub as water leaks out from the yoghurt.

That's actually whey I think, so stir it back in or you will miss out on all that proteiny goodness :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

That's actually whey I think, so stir it back in or you will miss out on all that proteiny goodness :D:D

I didn't think of that :eek: . Sorry.

I think I'll continue pouring it away though 'cause I like the yoghurt getting creamier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Board.surf

Zelda247 wrote: »
    i have just moved into an area where there is an Aldi, i am not really familiar with the store, what do you recommend of their products.

Aldi for me, is a lot better than Lidl. I think most of their products are good. It some Aldi are better than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Have to second this.

I mix it with honey too and fruit, it is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

ArtyC wrote: »

This is great news, but also not great news for my intentions to eat healthily

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

This is great news, but also not great news for my intentions to eat healthily

I don't think they'll do too much damage. In fairness they are VERY mini! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

The Black Angus Sirloin Steaks are to die for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

i have just moved into an area where there is an Aldi, i am not really familiar with the store, what do you recommend of their products.

tesco.s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

jacob2 wrote: »
    tesco.s

Have you considered a career as a comedian?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

I don't think they'll do too much damage. In fairness they are VERY mini! :p

The problem is, if they are mini, it increases the likelihood of eating multiples:D

B0jangles wrote: »
    Brilliant, thanks very much for the write-up, I was just about to ask what you thought of it. I really liked their madras but thought the rest of the standard range was a bit meh, so this sounds very promising indeed!
    I very much like their madras and am just having the vindaloo now. It's certainly a step-up heat-wise but that's about it. Worth a try I would say but I'll probably stick with the madras myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

tesco.s

If Aldi would introduce a few more vegetarian options (tofu for example) then I would finally have a reason for not going to tesco at all.

I'm not dissing tesco BTW, but I just can't get the same amount of products in my trolley for so little money in it, compared to Aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I very much like their madras and am just having the vindaloo now. It's certainly a step-up heat-wise but that's about it. Worth a try I would say but I'll probably stick with the madras myself.

Cheers for the heads-up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

tesco.s

After 2 years and 2.2k posts since asking, I'd guess Zelda has enough recommendations and experience with Aldi products by now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    If Aldi would introduce a few more vegetarian options (tofu for example) then I would finally have a reason for not going to tesco at all.

I'm not dissing tesco BTW, but I just can't get the same amount of products in my trolley for so little money in it, compared to Aldi.

Do Aldi do tofu?

I have been meaning to try it and cant find it anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Do Aldi do tofu?

Aldi don't, but you'll get it easily enough in Tesco, Dunnes, Supervalu and health food shops with fridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Do Aldi do tofu?

It's extremely bland. The taste is entirely up to you. Dunnes have it in the fridge near the salads, fruit pots, bean sprouts etc.

Do Aldi do tofu?

I saw it in Dunnes where the prewashed salads are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

The Black Angus Sirloin Steaks are to die for!

Everyone recommends them but I've never cooked steak that tasted nice no matter where I buy it from...do you just fry it or is there a better way to cook it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,379 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Colser wrote: »
    Everyone recommends them but I've never cooked steak that tasted nice no matter where I buy it from...do you just fry it or is there a better way to cook it?

Here's your sister!

I've never managed to do anything with steak other than turn it into shoeleather :(

Awaiting foolproof tips that even I can't feck up!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Here's your sister!

I've never managed to do anything with steak other than turn it into shoeleather :(

Awaiting foolproof tips that even I can't feck up!

You're both (probably) a YouTube video away from cooking a nice steak...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

There are about as many 'perfect' ways to cook a steak as there are people who like to cook steak unfortunately :) The way I'm happiest with is:
    Get a fairly thick piece - 3/4 - 1 inch of sirloin, ribeye or striploin ( I find fillet a bit bland.)

20 minutes before you want to cook it, take it out of the fridge to warm up and to add seasoning - salt+fresh black pepper both sides, maybe a little bit of oil as well.

Heat your oven to a very low temp, just enough to keep food warm (in my oven that is 50 celcius).

Heat a heavy pan (not non-stick) until it is smoking hot, then add a small amount of an oil like rapeseed, peanut or sunflower - not olive oil or butter, they both burn.

If there is fat on your steak that you want to eat (no judgement here :D ), sear it first by holding the steak with tongs or your fingers so that the fatty edge is pressed into the pan.

Once you're happy with that, cook the first side of your steak - I go for 45 seconds - 1 minute per side, but I like my steak on the rare side of medium rare. (edit: Looking back at this, these times would really be for a 1/2-3/4 inch steak - a 1 incher would be pretty much blue after that time, so to get rare I'd cook that for around 1:15 - 1:30 a side)

Pick up your steak and if the pan seems to have cooled a bit, hold the steak up and let the pan heat up again before putting it back in to do the other side.
    If you want a prettier sear, add a little butter at the end and cook the steak on both side briefly in it.

Pop your steak on a warmed plate and let it rest in the oven for at least 10 minutes - this last part is really important, the meat tends to tense up when it's cooked at a high heat and the resting relaxes it again so that it is nice and tender when you go to eat it, it also allows the heat to get through the meat; if you eat it straight away it'll probably be stone cold in the middle.

It also gives you time to finish making chips or whathaveyou!

After 2 years and 2.2k posts since asking, I'd guess Zelda has enough recommendations and experience with Aldi products by now...

Absolutely not!!! keep them coming!

I just put some Olive oil on the pan, seasoned with S&P and fried for about 8 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I always set the smoke alarm off but the steak does be delicious.

Sacrilege i know but I use butter, it gives a great flavour and caramelisation.

Steak half an hour out from the fridge seasoned with pepper only.

I have the pan roasting, drop the butter.

Then steak on the pan 2 minutes either side (depending how you like it)

Don't keep moving the steak.

When you're happy it's done. Rest for best part of 10 mins.

Bon appetit :D

Advertisement