Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

ooh I must try butter next time gizmo...thanks for the tip :D

I've always just rubbed oil into the steak and on to a hot dry pan....everything else would be the same as you do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I've never found much flavor from the Aldi steaks bar those single packs of dry aged ones which they don't do anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,783 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

chuckles30 wrote:
    I've always just rubbed oil into the steak and on to a hot dry pan....everything else would be the same as you do

I always oil the steak rather than the pan. Take them out of the fridge and out of the vacuum pack at least an hour before cooking. Brush with oil, then season with equal parts garlic granules, pepper and aromat. When I'm ready to cook I heat the pan for a good ten minutes on a high flame. When I think it's about to go on fire, I leave it for anothet five minutes, then start cooking them.

Smoke alarm always goes off here too. As someone tweeted to Jimmy Fallon, they should invent one that you can call "Just cooking!" to and it shuts off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Most important part is resting them correctly imo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,783 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

RasTa wrote:
    Most important part is resting them correctly imo

Resting is important, but more for texture than taste, imo.

It's also a *very* fine line when you like your steak blue - as I do - as it will continue to cook as it rests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Specially Selected sweet tomato relish.... Much nicer than the famous one from Cork!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Specially Selected sweet tomato relish.... Much nicer than the famous one from Cork!

Agreed. The caramelised onion one is lovely too and I spotted a sweetcorn one during the week which I think is new.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I just had the Tipperary Black Angus rib eye steaks tonight (black and gold packaging).

Cooked it, let it rest, sliced it and put it on top of green salad, cherry tomatoes and blue cheese (Tipperary Blue, also from Aldi).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

dudara wrote:
    Cooked it, let it rest, sliced it and put it on top of green salad, cherry tomatoes and blue cheese (Tipperary Blue, also from Aldi).

And would you do it again :) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

ArtyC wrote: »
    They have a new mini magnum type box . Half white chocolate raspberry and half salted caramel! They are divine

Got a box of those yesterday.
    Ate a box of those yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

I bought the 28 day Aberdeen Angus steak for himself. He loved them and said it was one of the nicest steaks he has ever eaten.

The new mini magnums are lovely. I bought the Salted Caramel and White Choc raspberry yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Anyone try the new big plastic box of ribs?
    Bbq or bourbon glaze.
    Takes 1hr 50mins to cook though!
    I'd have to just have eaten to put them on for next feed! :D
    They still in my fridge. Hopefully make an appearance tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Sweet and Sour with rice is not bad. It is handy for a quick dinner on the go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Bbq or bourbon glaze.

No, but I'm interested in hearing what they're like. I buy the ones in the cardboard box regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

No, but I'm interested in hearing what they're like. I buy the ones in the cardboard box regularly.

I buy them too, very tasty and love the sauce..much better than the Dunnes ones imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Bahanaman wrote: »

Agreed, the 'famous' paedo relish isn't as nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Agreed, the 'famous' paedo relish isn't as nice.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I've tried the Blue Cheese Melt and Jalapeño and Monterey cheese Melt on Burgers recently, liked both and I'm definitely getting them again.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Agreed. The caramelised onion one is lovely too and I spotted a sweetcorn one during the week which I think is new.

The Red pepper one amazing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭squonk

What’s this about a plastic box of ribs? Are ALDI selling frozen ribs that you need to cook from scratch?

I tried their line Indian pickle yesterday. I really couldn’t recommend it. I have an Indian shop near me and I love the line pickle you get there. Aldi’s one was quite bitter and just hot.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

squonk wrote: »
    What’s this about a plastic box of ribs? Are ALDI selling frozen ribs that you need to cook from scratch?

I tried their line Indian pickle yesterday. I really couldn’t recommend it. I have an Indian shop near me and I love the line pickle you get there. Aldi’s one was quite bitter and just hot.

No they are fresh ones in the fresh meat section. Smokey or bourbon I think. About €5

I'm told they are lovely and meaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

The new Specially Selected Stir Fry Veg is delicious. I got the one with Butternut Squash,Edamame Beans, Sunflower Seeds, broccoli and Sweetcorn. There is only enough for 2 in the pack and I added a Red Onion, plus some noodles and stir fry sauce. It was indeed yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Zelda247 wrote: »
    The new Specially Selected Stir Fry Veg is delicious. I got the one with Butternut Squash,Edamame Beans, Sunflower Seeds, broccoli and Sweetcorn. There is only enough for 2 in the pack and I added a Red Onion, plus some noodles and stir fry sauce. It was indeed yummy!

Is it fresh or frozen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Is it fresh or frozen?

Fresh. Was looking at it yesterday, but didn't buy it. Will try it now asap

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭squonk

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Bbq or bourbon glaze.

It sounds like they’re different from the cardboard box Of ribs the take 30 minutes in the oven. I didn’t see them in my local Aldi. You don’t happen to have a photo of them by any chance? As for the afforementioned box of ribs, they’re quite nice though I usually ditch the sauce that comes with them And use another sauce instead. I also throw a bit of barbecue Rub on them But they make a great base for doing your own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

The Dine in From our place to yours Slow cooked beef is lovely says himself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

squonk wrote: »
    It sounds like they’re different from the cardboard box Of ribs the take 30 minutes in the oven. I didn’t see them in my local Aldi. You don’t happen to have a photo of them by any chance? As for the afforementioned box of ribs, they’re quite nice though I usually ditch the sauce that comes with them And use another sauce instead. I also throw a bit of barbecue Rub on them But they make a great base for doing your own thing.

I saw them in the Swords Aldi today. They're more like thick slices of pork belly than ribs - I couldn't buy them because we weren't going to be back home for hours.

IMG_2781.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

I saw them in the Swords Aldi today. They're more like thick slices of pork belly than ribs - I couldn't buy them because we weren't going to be back home for hours

Tried the bourbon ones today, they were yum! Tenderstem broccoli and baby potatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Tried the bourbon ones today, they were yum! Tenderstem broccoli and baby potatoes

What is the meat to bone ratio like? Does one pack feed 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I've posted a few recommendations here, but I've got a gripe this time.

Does anyone else find the chicken breasts do not last more than 24 hours after purchase? I've returned some this evening after buying them yesterday, the smell was god awful. I've thrown out plenty before today too.

Advertisement