Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Bought a pack on Sunday used them today as was only commenting that they tasted great in my sweet and sour chicken (they were the ones on the Super 6), I assume they are well within date?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I've posted a few recommendations here, but I've got a gripe this time.

Does anyone else find the chicken breasts do not last more than 24 hours after purchase? I've returned some this evening after buying them yesterday, the smell was god awful. I've thrown out plenty before today too.

Could be some fecker who leaves chicken on the shelves when they change their minds.

My local Lidl/Aldi always have perishables abandoned on shelves. Don't know why people can't put stuff back.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Could be some fecker who leaves chicken on the shelves when they change their minds.

My local Lidl/Aldi always have perishables abandoned on shelves. Don't know why people can't put stuff back.
    Its even worse when they put fresh meat etc into the freezer cabinets! My mind boggles! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Definitely do not recommend the Nasi Goreng ready meal, absolutely disgusting. Thats the egg fried rice, leek and little bits of ham one, in the fridges not frozen.

I always keep a couple of these in the freezer though, surprisingly nice when you're feeling lazy, hope they're not discontinued:

Sweet-Sour-Chicken-with-Rice.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Of all the things in Aldi, that frozen ready-meal range is the most hit/miss for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I mentioned that already, the sweet and sour is not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Thargor wrote: »
    Definitely do not recommend the Nasi Goreng ready meal, absolutely disgusting. Thats the egg fried rice, leek and little bits of ham one, in the fridges not frozen.

I always keep a couple of these in the freezer though, surprisingly nice when you're feeling lazy, hope they're not discontinued:

Sweet-Sour-Chicken-with-Rice.jpg

You have to use that Nasi as well as the bami Goreng as a base for you meal and not as your meal.
    If you just eat it like that, it is boring and on par with getting just a portion of fried rice at the take away.

Only last week i used a box of Bami Goreng but added my own marinated pork belly, my own stir fried veggies and my own created sweet and sour sauce.

That is how you use it. Not buy> warm up > eat.
    It is not like that frozen ready meal for lazy dinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Does anyone else find the chicken breasts do not last more than 24 hours after purchase? I've returned some this evening after buying them yesterday, the smell was god awful. I've thrown out plenty before today too.

I've also noticed this. A couple of times I've opened packs of chicken and thought they were too smelly to use. They would have been well within their use by dates also. Maybe it's the way Aldi are storing them before they go into the fridges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

It's happened me frequently. I think I might have posted about it in this thread before actually. I took them back and got a refund, there was no issue but it's something that shouldn't be happening in the first place. I don't buy chicken in Aldi anymore now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Yep I purchased Monday the 24th, use by date was the 28th, but they were off by the 25th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Ditto for me with the chicken breasts I'm afraid. Gone off well before the due date. It's a pain as you only know when you open the packet and are ready to cook!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I had that problem a couple of times a good while back, but tracked it down to the fact that my fridge temperature was way too high. The bottom shelf, which is where you should be storing all meat, should ideally be around 4 deg, no higher than 5 deg anyway. Get a decent fridge thermometer and check it, you could very well be surprised.

Alun wrote: »
    I had that problem a couple of times a good while back, but tracked it down to the fact that my fridge temperature was way too high. The bottom shelf, which is where you should be storing all meat, should ideally be around 4 deg, no higher than 5 deg anyway. Get a decent fridge thermometer and check it, you could very well be surprised.

I had actually considered this, I'll check that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I've often had chicken that smelt a bit iffy, but was well within its BBD, but I cook it regardless.

Always tastes the same to me, and I'm still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    I've often had chicken that smelt a bit iffy, but was well within its BBD, but I cook it regardless.

If in doubt, chuck it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The Salted Caramel and White chocolate mini ice creams pass the test. Would buy again, Salted Caramel wins. I managed to eat 1 a day so lasted awhile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

If in doubt, chuck it out!

If it tastes like chicken, keep on lickin.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Rick Shaw wrote: »

Sometimes there is an overpowering smell when you open the packet (not of rotten chicken more of a sulphur kind of smell) but the actual chicken doesn't smell (if that makes sense!) I think it just builds up in the packagin as it is air tight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Sometimes there is an overpowering smell when you open the packet (not of rotten chicken more of a sulphur kind of smell) but the actual chicken doesn't smell (if that makes sense!) I think it just builds up in the packagin as it is air tight.

Like the smell when you open a packet of cooked ham, stink.

Just had one of two in a pack of beer battered Scottish haddock, specially selected in the chilled fish area, and quite nice it was too, lots of batter but nice and crispy and plenty of fish in it. 2 for €3.49. Will buy again.

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Just had one of two in a pack of beer battered Scottish haddock, specially selected in the chilled fish area, and quite nice it was too, lots of batter but nice and crispy and plenty of fish in it. 2 for €3.49. Will buy again.
    I love those, nicer than the takeaways around here when I throw them in the airfryer and way cheaper, healthier than deep fried aswell although they probably got a dip before they left the factory.

inforfun wrote: »
    You have to use that Nasi as well as the bami Goreng as a base for you meal and not as your meal.
    If you just eat it like that, it is boring and on par with getting just a portion of fried rice at the take away.

Only last week i used a box of Bami Goreng but added my own marinated pork belly, my own stir fried veggies and my own created sweet and sour sauce.

That is how you use it. Not buy> warm up > eat.
    It is not like that frozen ready meal for lazy dinners.
    Nah Id rather do it all from scratch in that case, it wasnt just boring it was kind of nasty, especially the little meat chunks.

Thargor wrote: »
    I love those, nicer than the takeaways around here when I throw them in the airfryer and way cheaper, healthier than deep fried aswell although they probably got a dip before they left the factory.

How the hell do you fit them in the airfryer, ones I got were about a foot long:)

vicwatson wrote: »
    How the hell do you fit them in the airfryer, ones I got were about a foot long:)
    You grab both ends and bang the middle off the edge of the counter until it snaps in half :D

The hot smoked salmon is fantastic, great for an instant bite after the gym

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Those salmon fillets are delicious. We always have several in the fridge. Great for a quick salad or snack on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,753 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Senor Brain, please forgive the stupid question... 'hot' as in spicy? Or hot as in meant to be eaten hot?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Senor Brain, please forgive the stupid question... 'hot' as in spicy? Or hot as in meant to be eaten hot?

Neither! They are smoked at higher temperature I believe, so they have the cooked texture, not the slimey normal smoked salmon texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Neither! They are smoked at higher temperature I believe, so they have the cooked texture, not the slimey normal smoked salmon texture.

Where are they normally and are they dear ? I need to continue to healthy eat but it's expensive

• Advertisement

ArtyC wrote: »
    Where are they normally and are they dear ? I need to continue to healthy eat but it's expensive

At the fish (fresh and smoked) chiller cabinet, I think either 2.49 or 2.69 for two

Advertisement