Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

vicwatson wrote: »
    At the fish (fresh and smoked) chiller cabinet, I think either 2.49 or 2.69 for two

They're nice but you need to be careful when heating them! They've tended to explode in the microwave on me!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The new snackrite popcorn is rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They're nice but you need to be careful when heating them! They've tended to explode in the microwave on me!
    Can't say I've ever heated one to be honest, they're fine cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The hot smoked salmon is fantastic, great for an instant bite after the gym

I know it's the Aldi thread but the LIDL ones are even nicer imo (single 125g pack so a bit chunkier I find). Both are fab though - happily eat either (or both :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Oh no I eat them cold!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

ArtyC wrote: »
    Where are they normally and are they dear ? I need to continue to healthy eat but it's expensive

They're with the fish in the fresh fish & meat section. €2 something, but I can't be 100%

Got to say that I've never heated them. I flake them up cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

vicwatson wrote: »
    The new snackrite popcorn is rubbish
    The bag of 30 Snackrite crisps are really nice though, I always assumed they'd be junk because they were so cheap but someone brought a bag home the other night and they're lovely, the prawn cocktail and Worcester sauce especially. They must be coming off a Walkers production line, they are completely identical except 1/10 of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭EmzBoBo

The white chocolate and cranberry cookies, they're fab!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,753 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In true Irish fashion.. we have a split in the hot smoked salmon eating community... how do you eat yours... hot or cold... I sense a poll coming.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

I only eat them hot if I'm eating other hot things with them! Usually broccoli & a baked potato with a bit of creamy pesto sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Thargor wrote: »
    They must be coming off a Walkers production line, they are completely identical except 1/10 of the price.

Most of Aldi's crisps are made by Tayto NI (not connected to Irish Tayto) who have one of the largest crisp factories in the UK in Armagh and other smaller locations in mainland Britain.

They also make golden wonder and many own label incl manhattan crisps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

I saw them in the Swords Aldi today. They're more like thick slices of pork belly than ribs - I couldn't buy them because we weren't going to be back home for hours.

IMG_2781.jpg

It looks like there's a lot of plastic packaging. I'm trying to cut down on how much single use plastic I buy. Most of it isn't recyclable.

Value wise Aldi seem to have introduced cooked ham off cuts to most branches (used to be only in small selection)

400g for €1.99 - rummage a little and you can get top quality cooked ham, albeit in small pieces and chunks for 50c/100g

Considering Brady ham is "special offer" of €2.50 (up from €2) for 90g, its unbeatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The bag of 30 Snackrite crisps are really nice though, I always assumed they'd be junk because they were so cheap but someone brought a bag home the other night and they're lovely, the prawn cocktail and Worcester sauce especially. They must be coming off a Walkers production line, they are completely identical except 1/10 of the price.

Snackrite are superb, easily on a par with King Crisps imo
    CeilingFly wrote: »
    Value wise Aldi seem to have introduced cooked ham off cuts to most branches (used to be only in small selection)

400g for €1.99 - rummage a little and you can get top quality cooked ham, albeit in small pieces and chunks for 50c/100g

Considering Brady ham is "special offer" of €2.50 (up from €2) for 90g, its unbeatable.

I cant stand those constant Brady family ham ads on tv, they literally have me jumping for the remote And at 2.50 a pack there will be no way in hell that Im paying for them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,303 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Does anyone know if those snackrite monster claws are sold only in variety packs with 3 different flavours or to they stock multipacks with 1 flavour? I love the beef ones but don't like the pickled onion or spicy ones. I'm asking because Aldi Sligo is always missing things you get in other stores..If I could pick them up elsewhere I'll stop by another Aldi next time I'm near one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Even cheaper to buy a ham fillet and cook it in water for an hour.

RasTa wrote: »
    Even cheaper to buy a ham fillet and cook it in water for an hour.

Nope - a 1kg Ham Fillet is €5.99 (60c/100g) + cooking hassle and having to have 1kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Poochie05

The Grainne's tea room rich fruit loaf is lovely - nice amount of fruit, evenly distributed.
    Especially nice toasted with butter and a cup of your favourite tea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Nope - a 1kg Ham Fillet is €5.99 (60c/100g) + cooking hassle and having to have 1kg.

It's €4.66 per kg. A kilo of cooked ham would last awhile.

Im pretty frugal in everything but I just cant stomach off-cuts or bags of bargain meat of any kind.

• Advertisement

Aldi have specially selected Pastrami now and they've fairly nailed the taste aswell. I dont know how long its been around, its on display in the middle of the cheese section closer to the milk than the other cold meats in the Bray Aldi for some reason. A bit of mustard and some pickles makes a quality roll, wish Aldi had a bakery like Lidls.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Anyone looking for the naan bread it's moved to underneath the Indian sauce jars etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭whiskeygirl

Aldi have specially selected Pastrami now and they've fairly nailed the taste aswell. I dont know how long its been around, its on display in the middle of the cheese section closer to the milk than the other cold meats in the Bray Aldi for some reason. A bit of mustard and some pickles makes a quality roll, wish Aldi had a bakery like Lidls.

My local Aldi (Newlands X) has a bakery like Lidl. Think they're trialling it there. Whole shop was upgraded a month or so ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

No sign of the breaded camembert in our local aldi the last few weeks, anyone spotted it recently or has it been pulled i wonder?.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Im pretty frugal in everything but I just cant stomach off-cuts or bags of bargain meat of any kind.
    I usually get high fat mince for cooking burgers. This is also usually the cheapest, I got aldi mince and I came across several bits of hard bone in it -while eating. Fixing a potentially chipped tooth is not cheap so I do not consider this risk to be good value...

It seems most supermarkets must be using high fat off cuts in this "value" mince -and so I guess there is a higher risk of bone. It would be good if they could do high fat versions of decent cuts, like what gourmet burger places would be using. I suppose a proper butcher would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Loads of them do now.

My local Aldi (Newlands X) has a bakery like Lidl. Think they're trialling it there. Whole shop was upgraded a month or so ago.

Wait til you see their new Blackrock store in the upgraded Frascati centre when it opens next year.

Posher than M&S they reckon! :)

They are using Ireland to trial a lot of new products and concepts - the successful ones get rolled out around Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

My local Aldi in Tralee brought in the Cavala rice range many months ago...Pilau, Basmati and long grain...the latter 2 are readily available...but the Pilau hasn't been there in months...any idea if this is a nationwide issue or is there a reason behind it....nicest shop bought pilau I've ever had and I miss it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭noodler

rubadub wrote: »
    I usually get high fat mince for cooking burgers. This is also usually the cheapest, I got aldi mince and I came across several bits of hard bone in it -while eating. Fixing a potentially chipped tooth is not cheap so I do not consider this risk to be good value...

It seems most supermarkets must be using high fat off cuts in this "value" mince -and so I guess there is a higher risk of bone. It would be good if they could do high fat versions of decent cuts, like what gourmet burger places would be using. I suppose a proper butcher would do it.

Don't want to sound ultra defensive but its Irish. And I've had the odd grizzle, not. Bone admittedly, with any of the 18-20% fat stuff now matter where I buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

No sign of Pastrami in my local Aldi, staff didn't even know what it was.
    It is a very hit and miss store compared to other Aldi's in the area.

Advertisement