Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Lissavane wrote: »
    The rye bread is back at last in my local aldi after an absence of maybe 5 years. There are 2 types: wholemeal rye and wholemeal rye with 5% sunflower seeds. €1.29 for 500g, 7 slices. I like both.

Hope it's not just a special buy but I don't see it listed as one.

Just a heads-up for anyone who likes the Aldi rye bread. There was none in my local shop this pm so I asked an assistant manager about it. She too likes it and hadn't noticed it was out of stock.

Apparently it was intended to be a permanent stock item but will be going off sale, due to slow turnover. She ordered 10 cases on the spot, compared to their normal order of 4. It has a long shelf-life--last I bought was dated Jan 18.

She gave me a serving tip too; it seems it's nice cut in fingers, rubbed with garlic and fried!

I hope there's an equivalent in the Polish shops as it's become a staple for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

noodler wrote: »
    Don't want to sound ultra defensive but its Irish. And I've had the odd grizzle, not. Bone admittedly, with any of the 18-20% fat stuff now matter where I buy it.
    Yep, I got dodgy bits in dunnes & tesco high fat mince too. Not sure if you thought I was singling out aldi, I was saying "seems most supermarkets" as I did not want to appear to be singling them out. I considered getting a mincer but do not really want a new gadget. If buying more expensive mince I would rather just get sirloin and make philly cheese steaks. Had some nice cheap sirloins from aldi, sometimes the same price as round mince in other places.
    It has a long shelf-life--last I bought was dated Jan 18.
    I reckon this must be irradiated, not that I am fearful or against it. Some wraps in tesco are really cheap with really long shelf lifes, as are burger buns & hot dog buns -I think from germany.

It can be handy to have these long life things in the cupboard, I was not a fan of the burger buns but am not sure it was down to whatever treatment they got. The wraps were fine.

If you were buying up a few I would store in a dark cool place -rather than freeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Just a heads-up for anyone who likes the Aldi rye bread. There was none in my local shop this pm so I asked an assistant manager about it. She too likes it and hadn't noticed it was out of stock.

Apparently it was intended to be a permanent stock item but will be going off sale, due to slow turnover. She ordered 10 cases on the spot, compared to their normal order of 4. It has a long shelf-life--last I bought was dated Jan 18.

She gave me a serving tip too; it seems it's nice cut in fingers, rubbed with garlic and fried!

I hope there's an equivalent in the Polish shops as it's become a staple for me.

Its in most Tescos too - in the Polish section. (and more expensive)

Also notice its not in all Aldi's - so maybe it will stay where there's a demand.

On the cooking tip - fry it first, then rub the garlic on it. Or my favourite, spread marmite and peanut butter on toasted rye bread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

We had one of those rotisserie roast in the bag chickens earlier and it wasn't good at all. The texture was very strange, it felt hard when eating it. It was definitely cooked through but it wouldn't have been a patch on the equivalent roast in the bag ones from M&S.

Could be the first product from Aldi we weren't impressed with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

nc6000 wrote: »
    We had one of those rotisserie roast in the bag chickens earlier and it wasn't good at all. The texture was very strange, it felt hard when eating it. It was definitely cooked through but it wouldn't have been a patch on the equivalent roast in the bag ones from M&S.

Same with the Tesco one - probably from same place. A bit on the rubbery side.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

nc6000 wrote: »

Those M&S ones are unreal though, the closet thing to real rotissiere chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone going to try the Tomahawk steak? I think Ill wait until its 50% off, dont feel like paying that much for a large bone, not my shoes btw...

bbgjtfD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

No sign of the breaded camembert in our local aldi the last few weeks, anyone spotted it recently or has it been pulled i wonder?.

Was that the one in same box in fridge as the mozzarella sticks? I asked about this a few months ago, manager didnt know if they would be getting it back in.

Thargor wrote: »
    Anyone going to try the Tomahawk steak? I think Ill wait until its 50% off, dont feel like paying that much for a large bone, not my shoes btw...

bbgjtfD.jpg

Is that one steak?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

This was on Twitter earlier.....

DGKAB-zVwAAH5UU.png

http://jesspryles.com/how-to-cook-a-tomahawk-steak/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Is that one steak?

Look like it, nearly €24 for one steak is a bit rich for me if it is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Nyom nyom!

Christ on a bike, that looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Those M&S ones are unreal though, the closet thing to real rotissiere chicken.

I agree the rest are awful, they stink the oven out as well.

You can't beat M&S, I know they are more expensive... I worked in the Food division in HO some years ago and the effort they put into getting a product right is amazing. Sadly I cannot afford their prices hence Aldi:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Zelda247 wrote: »
    I agree the rest are awful, they stink the oven out as well.

You can't beat M&S, I know they are more expensive... I worked in the Food division in HO some years ago and the effort they put into getting a product right is amazing. Sadly I cannot afford their prices hence Aldi:)

Oh I agree, I tend to only get the Rotissiere Chicken in Marks when it's in the deal with the wine for €14 :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The spatchcocked chickens in Aldi are good, but I don't like the rotisserie ones either. I tried to put a rub on one and it just slid off, whatever they put on the skin - and it was tough.

Anyone know when the next baby event will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Anyone know when the next baby event will be?
    Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Not sure if anyone posted yet but they have Thai red/green curry packs for 1.99. Curry paste, coconut milk and a sachet of herbs. Very handy and quite tasty. Also vegetarian friendly, normally curry pastes have some sort of fish extract. Would reccomend.

I'd love to try that steak but OH is veggie. Over 1kg seems too much of a challenge :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Hmmm... 19.64/kg seems a hell of a lot to be asking for bone-in meat. I just looked on the Tesco website for comparison and their finest ribeye is only 17.74/kg at the moment -

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=291661440

and as far as I tell, a tomahawk steak is just a ribeye with a bone attached - seems kind of gimmicky to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

B0jangles wrote: »
    Hmmm... 19.64/kg seems a hell of a lot to be asking for bone-in meat. I just looked on the Tesco website for comparison and their finest ribeye is only 17.74/kg at the moment -

and as far as I tell, a tomahawk steak is just a ribeye with a bone attached - seems kind of gimmicky to be honest.
    Yes, it does seem a bit OTT, especially looking at the photo Thargor posted where the bone looks as if it could actually be used as the handle for an actual tomahawk and must be a substantial contributor to the weight of the product. The one shown on the twitter feed has a much shorter "handle".

How much are their beef rib joints in comparison? You could buy one of those and cut into two steaks yourself and probably save yourself a good bit of money that would otherwise be wasted on buying bone.

They might even fit in your barbecue which I doubt the photographed one would in many cases, certainly mine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah don't bother with them unless you want to take a fancy photo or treat your dog.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Somebody mentioned the vintage cheddar a while back. I tried it a few weeks ago but it wasn't great. Realised today that I'd bought the wrong one. The one in the black packaging is phenomenal. I'd be tempted to sit down and eat the whole block.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Alun wrote: »
    Look like it, nearly €24 for one steak is a bit rich for me if it is.

It's a comparable price to what I pay for similar tomahawk steaks in my butcher. Usually good for 2-3 people

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, it does seem a bit OTT, especially looking at the photo Thargor posted where the bone looks as if it could actually be used as the handle for an actual tomahawk and must be a substantial contributor to the weight of the product. The one shown on the twitter feed has a much shorter "handle".

How much are their beef rib joints in comparison? You could buy one of those and cut into two steaks yourself and probably save yourself a good bit of money that would otherwise be wasted on buying bone.

They might even fit in your barbecue which I doubt the photographed one would in many cases, certainly mine!

I actually have one in the freezer, rib roast on the bone. This one weighs 1.67kg and cost €22. It will easily feed four.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Slunk wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone posted yet but they have Thai red/green curry packs for 1.99. Curry paste, coconut milk and a sachet of herbs. Very handy and quite tasty. Also vegetarian friendly, normally curry pastes have some sort of fish extract. Would reccomend.

I'd love to try that steak but OH is veggie. Over 1kg seems too much of a challenge :p

Is that where all there Indian sauces with the spices on top (Specially selected iirc) are?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Their raspberry vineragette is awesome, alongside the salad bags by the dairy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭anewme

B0jangles wrote: »

SuperValu steak and wine steak is on at the moment and 'cowboy steak" with the bone in is 11.72 per kg. I got one at the last sale and it was delicious but you'd want to really love your meat....meat coma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

anewme wrote: »
    SuperValu steak and wine steak is on at the moment and 'cowboy steak" with the bone in is 11.72 per kg. I got one at the last sale and it was delicious but you'd want to really love your meat....meat coma

That's a lot more reasonable, and yes, I do love a nice bit of meat!

(and so does matron)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

REAL Handcooked crisps cheese and onion and Salt n Vinegar are really nice. One of the specials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

fin12 wrote: »
    REAL Handcooked crisps cheese and onion and Salt n Vinegar are really nice. One of the specials.

Hi, do you know how much these are?

Advertisement