Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Hi, do you know how much these are?

€1.59 if its THESE ones.

Also Hand Cooked Guinness flavoured ones.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I had these ones at the weekend. They were delicious, and only €1.29 which is really good value considering I paid the same for a snack sized packet in M&S today.

Real-Handcooked-Crisps-150g-A.jpg?o=falsojPjoKSLir%40xFbRyh9QT8Xgj&V=N5%40T&w=480&h=600&p=2&q=77

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

That's great thanks! I like a crispy crisp if that makes any sense, similar to Keogh's or O'Donnells, so it's nice to have more options in Aldi!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,607 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I had these ones at the weekend. They were delicious, and only €1.29 which is really good value considering I paid the same for a snack sized packet in M&S today.

Real-Handcooked-Crisps-150g-A.jpg?o=falsojPjoKSLir%40xFbRyh9QT8Xgj&V=N5%40T&w=480&h=600&p=2&q=77

Also, currently available in Lidl!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I love the salt n vinegar ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I got the tomahawk steak and stupidly used the instructions on the packet. 20min per 500g for rare. Mine was 1k so I went with 35mins.

It was like a something my mother would have cooked in the 90s. It still tasted good. I'll pick up another and cook it my way next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,753 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I got the tomahawk steak and stupidly used the instructions on the packet. 20min per 500g for rare. Mine was 1k so I went with 35mins. It was like a something my mother would have cooked in the 90s. It still tasted good. I'll pick up another and cook it my way next time.

Would you say it came out medium or well done or cremated?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Would you say it came out medium or well done or cremated?

It was grey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I know advice given after the fact is usually more annoying than helpful but when it comes to steak I've always found it's better to err on the side of undercooking rather than overcooking because you can always throw it back into the pan and cook it some more :) Also undercooked steak isn't dangerous like chicken is, so there isn't any major risk involved.

As an aside, I've noticed that shop packaging almost always errs on the side of massive overcooking when it comes to beef - ever checked the suggested cooking times for most prepacked beef wellingtons? Listen to them and you'll probably end up with a sad little pebble of grey fillet steak surrounded by gum-shreddingly hard puff pastry.

B0jangles wrote: »
    I know advice given after the fact is usually more annoying than helpful but when it comes to steak I've always found it's better to err on the side of undercooking rather than overcooking because you can always throw it back into the pan and cook it some more :) Also undercooked steak isn't dangerous like chicken is, so there isn't any major risk involved.

As an aside, I've noticed that shop packaging almost always errs on the side of massive overcooking when it comes to beef - ever checked the suggested cooking times for most prepacked beef wellingtons? Listen to them and you'll probably end up with a sad little pebble of grey fillet steak surrounded by gum-shreddingly hard puff pastry.

I normally would err on the side of caution. I don't know what I was thinking this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Surely quite a large portion of the weight of such a steak is bone, which should be discounted when working out cooking times?

Alun wrote: »
    Surely quite a large portion of the weight of such a steak is bone, which should be discounted when working out cooking times?

This is where I went wrong, obviously!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If she got the times from a book or online for rib eye then I would agree. But they were on the packet, so I would expect them to take it into account themselves -otherwise how do you weigh it, cut if off the bone before cooking?

Pizza is another one which typically has really long cook times, and so gives it such a bad name as most people end up destroying them.

They probably presume people fan ovens are terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Super Value has played it smart announcing their steak sale the same time Aldi launches their tomahawk, hence mounds of those steaks sitting in my Aldi. Probably something to do with the €22 price tag as well.

Whoever launched them should be in trouble for not getting the bone trimmed down another 70%

rubadub wrote: »
    If she got the times from a book or online for rib eye then I would agree. But they were on the packet, so I would expect them to take it into account themselves -otherwise how do you weigh it, cut if off the bone before cooking?
    Yes, that's what I meant .. whoever decided on the cooking times on the packaging should have taken that into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

RasTa wrote: »
    Super Value has played it smart announcing their steak sale the same time Aldi launches their tomahawk, hence mounds of those steaks sitting in my Aldi. Probably something to do with the €22 price tag as well.

Whoever launched them should be in trouble for not getting the bone trimmed down another 70%

Not sure if that is the reason.
    Been to Aldi 2x since they have them and everybody that sees the tomahawk takes one, look at it and starts to look very confused. Then put it back.
    The average Joe or Jane doesnt have a clue what to do with them i think

That bone has stopped me from taking one. I have no pan or oven to fit it in and trimming that bone myself, i doubt i have the tools for that.
    Too much hassle so i ll just take the usual steaks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Of course it's the reason it's €11.72 a kg in SV and €19 with Aldi.

Also the SV steaks look like below so you save even more

0270150000000_3.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

The Specially Selected West Cork Yogurt is divine, especially the Orange flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Pizza is another one which typically has really long cook times, and so gives it such a bad name as most people end up destroying them.

They probably presume people fan ovens are terrible.

Back in the days I ate oven pizzas they usually stated fan ovens take less time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Tomohawks are 50% off already in my Aldi, dont seem to be shifting much of them.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Tomohawks are 50% off already in my Aldi, dont seem to be shifting much of them.
    I'm in the Bray one (which I think is your local too?) quite regularly and haven't spotted a single one yet :)

On a slightly less 'glamorous' front, they have a special on tins of black eye beans at the moment.

inforfun wrote: »
    Been to Aldi 2x since they have them and everybody that sees the tomahawk takes one, look at it and starts to look very confused. Then put it back.
    Read the bit in bold and thought WTF, I saw nobody with them in their baskets! -but spot-on, people looked at them, picked them up, had a giggle or confused look and put them back. Stupid gimmicks, I think the special/finest/selected matured aged boneless ribeyes were cheaper per kilo.
    Back in the days I ate oven pizzas they usually stated fan ovens take less time.
    Yes, they state less time and have 2 times on some packs, but I mean they might not state as less a time as they really need for todays average fan oven. I imagine a decent regular fan oven these days might cook far faster than a typical one 20-30 years ago.

e.g. Philips airfryers are really just higher flow fan ovens, refreshing the hot air more readily, phillips say to halve your time, and I expect many standard fan ovens also do food a lot quicker.

I cannot recall a time someone I know taking out an oven pizza, done to recommended time, and thinking it needed more time (bar my ignorant mate who never heard of preheating!), most come out with rock solid stiff bases, but love the floppy base on takeaway ones.

As another poster said about the steak (and as I have said in the airfyer thread) just be cautious as you can always put it back in to cook more but it cannot be undone.

The bones were far bigger than the one shown here
    DGKAB-zVwAAH5UU.png

I forgot to look if they had nutritional info listed, if it was true you could have a stab at working out the bone to meat ratio. Thargor said they are 50% off in his, depending on bone ratio this might not be as good as it sounds. If you pay by weight to get rid of scraps then you should factor it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

inforfun wrote: »
    Not sure if that is the reason.
    The average Joe or Jane doesnt have a clue what to do with them i think

That bone has stopped me from taking one. I have no pan or oven to fit it in and trimming that bone myself, i doubt i have the tools for that.
    Too much hassle so i ll just take the usual steaks

Bingo.

Noticed them this evening in my local Aldi, doesn't look like they shifted (m)any. Like yourself, the bone (and price tag) put me off. WTF am I supposed to do with the bone, is what I kept asking myself.

I reckon whoever thought they would be a good seller might be put in the bold corner for that one.

Yeah as already mentioned they're currently half price. But even a tenner is too much for a steak I have no way of cooking because of the bone, no way of storing because of the bone, and no way of removing the bone.

Tldr?

The fcuking bones far, FAR too big for most people Aldi.

I don't know, a tenner for one might not be too bad, there's a lot of meat on it and it'd probably feed two. Easy job to saw the bone off with a hacksaw, assuming you have one, of course.

There is an ongoing "steak thread" in bargain alerts.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057501295&page=13

someone said this was tomahawk was expensive and someone said -how much do you expect to pay for ribeye. I would expect it for half that price if it was on offer, as it is really about €30+ per kilo of actual ribeye meat when you factor in the bone.

I am now wondering if there plan was to reduce the bulk of them to half price all along.

My friend or neighbours dogs would love the bone!

I picked up some more since they were half price. I'll report back how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,753 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I am now wondering if there plan was to reduce the bulk of them to half price all along.

I went in, had a look at the Tomahawk, thought better of it and got one of their regular steak packs (which are lovely)... probably not the only one to do that.
    I wonder if ALDI saw a spike in steak sales last week :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Seabrook Lattice Chicken Jalfrezi Crisps-€1.69 available from today.
    My. GOD.

They are amazing. They're lattice shaped but have the same density as crisps. Not puffy as you'd imagine.

And the flavour. It is like having a curry. Plus they pack a punch.

Stocking up on these before they're gone!

Also available in Steak and Ale which I haven't tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Just had some of the sweet potato pakoras based on recommendation here - delicious.
    Had them warmed in a pitta bread with a drizzle of natural yoghurt and some spicy mango chutney (from Lidl) - very tasty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thargor wrote: »
    I'm in the Bray one (which I think is your local too?) quite regularly and haven't spotted a single one yet :)

On a slightly less 'glamorous' front, they have a special on tins of black eye beans at the moment.
    Looks like they've been pulled from the shelves now...

Advertisement