Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

On a slightly unrelated topic, the OH came to Aldi with me today. Now I remember why I usually go on my own. The shopping bill came to a lot more than it does when I'm on my own!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

On a slightly unrelated topic, the OH came to Aldi with me today. Now I remember why I usually go on my own. The shopping bill came to a lot more than it does when I'm on my own!

I'd get it hard to spend €100 in Aldi, though I don't buy meat (local butcher)alcohol (never these days)or toiletries (once every 6 weeks trip to Asda) there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Bought greengages (plums) the other day. They are delicious! Juicy and sweet, but not too much. They look very unripe, but the clue is in the name.
    To be honest, I wouldn't have bought them if I hadn't eaten plenty of them as a child, straight of the tree ;)
    They don't really look as if they're tasty.

I bought the chocolate lava puddings to eat with bake off this evening. Oh wow! They are gorgeous! Definitely recommend. €2.89 I think for a twin pack. Definitely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

I tried the Argentinian Malbec and loved it! Although I had bit of a head the next day but I did drink the whole bottle.... :o

Also love the vintage cheddar, thanks to all who tipped it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

sudzs wrote: »
    Also love the vintage cheddar, thanks to all who tipped it!

I've been force feeding it to anyone who comes into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭cbmonstra

I bought the chocolate lava puddings to eat with bake off this evening. Oh wow! They are gorgeous! Definitely recommend. €2.89 I think for a twin pack. Definitely worth it.

Just wondering, you have a comment in the LIDL thread about lava puddings too. Are they the available in both ALDI and LIDL?

Just asking because I only have access to ALDI for the moment, and want to check them out. Thanks

cbmonstra wrote: »
    Just wondering, you have a comment in the LIDL thread about lava puddings too. Are they the available in both ALDI and LIDL?

Just asking because I only have access to ALDI for the moment, and want to check them out. Thanks

Oh heck, I've posted in the wrong thread! Thanks for that. I'll go and rectify it. No, I definitely got mine in Aldi not Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I've been force feeding it to anyone who comes into the house.

I tried this - no force necessary in our house! :pac:
    Has been going down a storm :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We're addicted to it too now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

Is that cheese ye are all giving rave reviews similar to dubliner cheese made by carbery?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

squadro wrote: »
    Is that cheese ye are all giving rave reviews similar to dubliner cheese made by carbery?

If Carbery are in West Cork then possibly but its much nicer than Dubliner, this is an 18 month vintage cheddar (18 months matured)

Link - https://www.aldi.ie/irish-vintage-white-cheddar-cheese/p/069477029007700

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I noticed that there's a date on the strawberries and tomatoes that I bought today,is that a new thing?The strawberries are delicious btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Colser wrote: »
    I noticed that there's a date on the strawberries and tomatoes that I bought today,is that a new thing?The strawberries are delicious btw.

Noticed it in recent months, maybe due to their previous "encrypted" method of finding a best before - not very customer friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Highly recommend the bake at home croissants in the frozen food section. They are absolutely gorgeous. 8 in the box and they also do bake at home pan au chocolate (6 in that box) but haven't tried them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭caviardreams

vicwatson wrote: »
    If Carbery are in West Cork then possibly but its much nicer than Dubliner, this is an 18 month vintage cheddar (18 months matured)

Link - https://www.aldi.ie/irish-vintage-white-cheddar-cheese/p/069477029007700

What is the producer code in the little circle on the back of the packet? It lets you trace the manufacturer on all dairy and meat products.

How's the meusli? I'm after a new one, tried Jordans recently and it was disappointing, dusty and very mean with the fruit and nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

sudzs wrote: »
    How's the meusli? I'm after a new one, tried Jordans recently and it was disappointing, dusty and very mean with the fruit and nuts!

Love the fruit and nut one!

Malari wrote: »
    Love the fruit and nut one!

The one in the purple box? I'll second that. It's gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

The one in the purple box? I'll second that. It's gorgeous.

Yep, it's full of fruit and yummy things. :)

• Advertisement

Thank you! Thank you! It's on the shopping list! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Shoog

You can guarantee that almost all the products are of a superior quality to own brands in just about any other supermarket - so I would recommend everything.
    As others have said, their bog standard cheese's is better than just about anywhere elses and are cheap as chips.
    Their Muesli is very good quality.
    There Orange juice is fantastic.
    They do better bread than most other supermarkets, especially the Hovis whole grains.

Aldi and Lidl were life savers when we moved to Ireland 20years ago. Supervalue was very poor quality and cost at least double anything available in Aldi/Lidl. We would have starved if it hadn't have been for the monthly Lidl shop.

Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Oak smoked brie is also a lovely cheese

What is the producer code in the little circle on the back of the packet? It lets you trace the manufacturer on all dairy and meat products.

Somebody already looked this up a few pages back. I believe it's Bandon Vale that makes it. I've had Bandon Vale cheese from a fancy cheese shop, comes in a round wrapped in black wax and it is pretty delicious but it's about €5 a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Much as I love the Aldi Vintage Cheddar, I think the Lidl version is even nicer. One of the few times I find myself preferring Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,753 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So we seem to have a lock on a great cheese in the ALDI vintage cheddar... now the question is does anyone have any recommendations for a particular ALDI wine or other ALDI products (e.g. crackers) to accompany this wonderful cheese???

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    So we seem to have a lock on a great cheese in the ALDI vintage cheddar... now the question is does anyone have any recommendations for a particular ALDI wine or other ALDI products (e.g. crackers) to accompany this wonderful cheese???

I find it goes well with a second pack of cheese. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭crisco10

Toro Loco Reserva is a fairly solid red wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Bushland Shiraz

• Advertisement

Try the Malbec from Argentina, 8 50 I think.
    And my favourite crackers are the Savour Bakes mini crackers with wheat bran.

Advertisement