Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

Go to the yoghurt section, look for salted ganache chocolate pots, they have bright packaging and black ceramic pots. Pict the salted caramel one (pink packaging). They cost €1.50 and taste amazing and I'm not a huge chocolate fan either

• Registered Users Posts: 30,753 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

crisco10 wrote: »
    Toro Loco Reserva is a fairly solid red wine.

I like that the Toro Loco Crianza is available in a half bottle ... must check out the full Reserva sometime!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

danmanw8 wrote: »
    Go to the yoghurt section, look for salted ganache chocolate pots, they have bright packaging and black ceramic pots. Pict the salted caramel one (pink packaging). They cost €1.50 and taste amazing and I'm not a huge chocolate fan either

To the yogurt section I go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

danmanw8 wrote:

The lemon posset one is lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Thanks, this will be my treat for Bake Off next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Tried the Spicy Sweet Potato soup last night. Nice kick off it, I like it.

Davexirl wrote: »
    Tried the Spicy Sweet Potato soup last night. Nice kick off it, I like it.

Must give that one a go. Had the Mexican one last week and I spotted another one, but I can't quite remember what it was now. Lentils with bacon maybe? Something along those lines I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

I just got their Specially Selected sticky toffee pudding from the cold cabinet beside the yoghurts it fed four of us (with ice cream) for dessert today. It was really good for what I think was 2.90

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Much as I love the Aldi Vintage Cheddar, I think the Lidl version is even nicer. One of the few times I find myself preferring Lidl.

Get out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Layinghen wrote: »
    Highly recommend the bake at home croissants in the frozen food section. They are absolutely gorgeous. 8 in the box and they also do bake at home pan au chocolate (6 in that box) but haven't tried them yet.
    Thanks for that, I assumed they'd be nasty and didnt bother, Ill give them a go.

Theres a pack of 10 individually wrapped chocolate/hazelnut crepes for €1.50 in the food special offers aisle atm, not great, you give them a 20 second blast in the microwave. I ate them but tbh without the chocolate in them it would have been like eating hot paper straight out of the photocopier...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Layinghen wrote: »
    Highly recommend the bake at home croissants in the frozen food section. They are absolutely gorgeous. 8 in the box and they also do bake at home pan au chocolate (6 in that box) but haven't tried them yet.

The chocolate ones are too nice, gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

Somebody already looked this up a few pages back. I believe it's Bandon Vale that makes it. I've had Bandon Vale cheese from a fancy cheese shop, comes in a round wrapped in black wax and it is pretty delicious but it's about €5 a go.

Could be wrong but I think they are listed as cheese cutters and packers only.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

squadro wrote: »
    Could be wrong but I think they are listed as cheese cutters and packers only.

http://www.bandonvale.ie/about.html

I've had the black wax one listed on their products page under specialties.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

odyssey06 wrote: »
    So we seem to have a lock on a great cheese in the ALDI vintage cheddar... now the question is does anyone have any recommendations for a particular ALDI wine or other ALDI products (e.g. crackers) to accompany this wonderful cheese???

I like the Ghost Vines Lodi Zinfandel. There's also an old vine Grenache in their current wine sale that's quite nice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Noticed Aldi has basic medium eggs 8 for €1.09
    13c/egg is the cheapest around currently

Has anyone tried their brown or white 500g bread mix? Any good, worth buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Their Sancerre at €10.49 is a steal and gorgeous, just right for a day/evening like today

Have they changed the dishwasher tablets or did I just manage to pick up a different pack? I normally get a box of 50, rectangular in shape. I bought a box of 50 recently but they're hexagonal shaped, smaller and leaving a horrible chalky film on everything! I use separate salt and rinse aid anyway and haven't changed either of those so it's definitely the dishwasher tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

etselbbuns wrote: »
    Noticed Aldi has basic medium eggs 8 for €1.09
    13c/egg is the cheapest around currently

I'll take your 13c and I'll raise you ...9 eggs half price at 74c in lKells earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Sweatshop eggs though. Shouldn't be eating them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

etselbbuns wrote: »

I have - I used the white bread mix to make two baguettes and it's really nice. I used to buy the brown wheaten bread mix and it was excellent, I'm not sure what one they have these days though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Aldi washing up liquid gone to sh#t now so watered down, starting to see other items going the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭yummymummyjay

These are DIVINE!!!! Highly addictive though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

The overnight oats pots are nice and ideal for someone on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Aldi washing up liquid gone to sh#t now so watered down, starting to see other items going the same.

OT, but the same thing's happened to the Lidl one :mad: . They also pretended a bottle would do more washes (250 instead of 166) by saying the amount needed per wash was 2 ml, not 3 ml. Can't fault their maths :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Poochie05

The raspberry and cream one isn't so nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

dudara wrote: »
    I like the Ghost Vines Lodi Zinfandel. There's also an old vine Grenache in their current wine sale that's quite nice

Went to get some of the vintage cheddar and the Ghost Vines, alas the wine was out of stock, couldn't even find the SEL ��. Got the cheese and some other wine that's not nearly as nice. Hope that's not the last we have seen of Ghost Vines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

7 packs in the 6pack of Spuddy's, a delicious regular occurrence.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Esse85 wrote: »
    The overnight oats pots are nice and ideal for someone on the go.

Where about's are they? Had a look around today and couldn't see anything.

Recommendations: The kids love the sliced brioche bread and they said
    noutoka spread is as good as nuttela and is a third of the price.

Tried the Snowy Road Slices very nice rocky road but with white chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭yummymummyjay

Ryath wrote: »
    Where about's are they? Had a look around today and couldn't see anything.

Recommendations: The kids love the sliced brioche bread and they said
    noutoka spread is as good as nuttela and is a third of the price.

Tried the Snowy Road Slices very nice rocky road but with white chocolate.

In my Aldi they are in the same section as sandwiches and the mix and match salad bits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Aldi Four Seasons Thai Stir Fry Mix from the freezers is great, cant find a pic but its from this range:

aldinew3.jpg

Throw them in a wok for 10 minutes until they start to smell caramelised and its a better stirfry than I can make myself from scratch tbh, near perfect. Only problem is you need to throw the whole pack into the wok to feed two people practically, only a Euro though.

Advertisement