Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

Layinghen wrote: »
    Highly recommend the bake at home croissants in the frozen food section. They are absolutely gorgeous. 8 in the box and they also do bake at home pan au chocolate (6 in that box) but haven't tried them yet.

I found with following the instructions that they turned out crisped on the outside but still raw doughy in the middle. Tried turning down the temperature and cook for longer but still havent quite managed to get them right

anyone else have this issue or manage to finetune the cooking time&temp?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I found with following the instructions that they turned out crisped on the outside but still raw doughy in the middle. Tried turning down the temperature and cook for longer but still havent quite managed to get them right
    I have not cooked them, but am guessing if they went into a proper -18C freezer they might be too rock solid, so might do better with defrosting in the fridge a little first.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

We have baked them twice in the last week as per instructions and they have been cooked through after 18 mins. Lovely and flake. Made sure oven was preheated and on middle shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

I had no bother with cooking them. Pack suggests 180 deg for 20-24 mins. I cook them for the 24 mins. Take them out let them rest for a few mins and then tuck in :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Yes, I do - they get very very crispy and leak chocolate on me if I cook them too high. Pain in the O getting them right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Ryath wrote: »
    Where about's are they? Had a look around today and couldn't see anything.

Recommendations: The kids love the sliced brioche bread and they said
    noutoka spread is as good as nuttela and is a third of the price.

Tried the Snowy Road Slices very nice rocky road but with white chocolate.

There a make shift health fridge in several stores I've been in. Its usually in the first aisle. They have products such as cold coffee, fruit pots, sushi, salad leaves and the overnight oat pots in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

danmanw8 wrote: »
    Go to the yoghurt section, look for salted ganache chocolate pots, they have bright packaging and black ceramic pots. Pict the salted caramel one (pink packaging). They cost €1.50 and taste amazing and I'm not a huge chocolate fan either

I bought one of these today. I don't know whether to thank you or give out to you for introducing me to them, lol :D

Absolutely gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

In the chocolate & snack section, there's a new range of Specially Selected nut bars (4 per pack). I got mixed nuts with dark chocolate & sea salt. Two other varieties available also. Very nice for snacks.
    danmanw8 wrote: »
    Go to the yoghurt section, look for salted ganache chocolate pots, they have bright packaging and black ceramic pots. Pict the salted caramel one (pink packaging). They cost €1.50 and taste amazing and I'm not a huge chocolate fan either

Got one each of the salted caramel and the orange varieties this evening. Orange version won hands down. Both lovely though.
    QueenRizla wrote: »
    Went to get some of the vintage cheddar and the Ghost Vines, alas the wine was out of stock, couldn't even find the SEL ��. Got the cheese and some other wine that's not nearly as nice. Hope that's not the last we have seen of Ghost Vines.

I was in Aldi Nutgrove today and they had lots of the Ghost Vines Zin. So hopefully your store was just out of stock

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

I bought the chocolate lava puddings to eat with bake off this evening. Oh wow! They are gorgeous! Definitely recommend. €2.89 I think for a twin pack. Definitely worth it.

Where in the shop did you find these puddings? Looked today, but no dice!

daisy123 wrote: »
    I bought the chocolate lava puddings to eat with bake off this evening. Oh wow! They are gorgeous! Definitely recommend. €2.89 I think for a twin pack. Definitely worth it.

Where in the shop did you find these puddings? Looked today, but no dice!

On the very top shelf of the very last shelf if you see what I mean. The girl on the checkout said loads of people seem to miss them because they're a bit tucked away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

dudara wrote: »
    In the chocolate & snack section, there's a new range of Specially Selected nut bars (4 per pack). I got mixed nuts with dark chocolate & sea salt. Two other varieties available also. Very nice for snacks.

Yeah, I recommended them a few months back on here - they are delish!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

leahyl wrote: »
    Yeah, I recommended them a few months back on here - they are delish!!!

Are they healthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Are they healthy?

Just bought some. They were not easy to find as they were in the Gluten free section.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Remind me a *lot* of Kind bars tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭54and56

Anyone know how often Aldi sell their Spice Magic brand Satay Sauce? I got a bottle a few weeks ago, loved it and haven't seen it for sale since.

Aldi-Satay1504642945.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

dudara wrote: »

Spotted these when I walked into my Aldi this evening, picked up the dark choc and peanut butter ones.

Delicious. Really tasty.

I got the salted caramel puddings to have with gbbo tonight. They were nice but to be honest I thought they were more like sticky toffee pudding really. I definitely prefer the lava cakes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Anyone ever seen chicken salt in Ald or Lidl? Became addicted to it on chips when i lived in Perth many moons ago

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Had a couple of bacon chops for dinner tonight. Really tasty and tender. Just like really fat rashers, really. Came with a mustard butter to put on this as the cooked. Wasn't a very strong flavour of it but I think most ran off when I was taking them out of the pan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Had a couple of bacon chops for dinner tonight. Really tasty and tender. Just like really fat rashers, really. Came with a mustard butter to put on this as the cooked. Wasn't a very strong flavour of it but I think most ran off when I was taking them out of the pan.

They are really tasty, I don't eat the mustard butter myself (housemate likes it thoug) but even plain they are lovely and so quick to cook.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

gizmo81 wrote: »
    They are really tasty, I don't eat the mustard butter myself (housemate likes it thoug) but even plain they are lovely and so quick to cook.

I was thinking they'd be nice with a bit of griddled pineapple.

Anyone know how often Aldi sell their Spice Magic brand Satay Sauce? I got a bottle a few weeks ago, loved it and haven't seen it for sale since.

Aldi-Satay15046429g]

Hey just wondering where you got the peanut tofu?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭54and56

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Hey just wondering where you got the peanut tofu?

I don't, i got the picture from the web to show the satay sauce bottle.

Dam. :mad: that's something I reckon Mrs S could get on board with.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Huge pic

Just make it yourself.
    One of the easiest sauces to make your self.

1 sjalot, 2 big TBS Peanut butter, 200 ml coconut milk, 1 TBS of olive oil, 2 TBS ketjap manis (Soya sauce), 1 clove garlic and 1 or 2 ts sambal (chilli paste) to taste.

Oil in a sauce pan, fry garlic and sjalot (of course chopped up very fine first) for 2 minutes
    Add peanut butter and coconut milk and keep stirring till sauce thickens.
    Add and stir in the ketjap and sambal
    And.... better satay sauce than anything you buy.

Now if you would be able to get peanut butter from Surinam (forget about adding sambal then...)... even better but any peanutbutter will do.

Another shout for the Mexican bean soup.

Just had a bowl for my lunch and it was amazing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

On the very top shelf of the very last shelf if you see what I mean. The girl on the checkout said loads of people seem to miss them because they're a bit tucked away.

I still can't find them! And I've tried three Aldis! What section are they in or what other product are they near? I expected them to be with Sticky Toffee Puddings which I found alright, but I don't like them! Waaaaah. I need to try them!

Edit: It's the chocolate lava puddings I'm on the hunt for!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The chilled creamy veg soup in the bowl thing is good. Perfect with some nice brown soda bread, also in their bread section. So easy and so filling and good. Well works for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Keep an eye out for the Black Star wine from Pfalz. It's really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭snowgal

Autochange wrote: »
    Anyone ever seen chicken salt in Ald or Lidl? Became addicted to it on chips when i lived in Perth many moons ago

what is this chicken salt? sounds interesting......

Advertisement