Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,783 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Autochange wrote:
    Anyone ever seen chicken salt in Ald or Lidl? Became addicted to it on chips when i lived in Perth many moons ago

Nope. They don't even do onion or garlic salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Autochange wrote: »
    Anyone ever seen chicken salt in Ald or Lidl? Became addicted to it on chips when i lived in Perth many moons ago

Youll probably have to get all the ingredients separately.

LIDL are doing (maybe were) a spicebag shake, which you might like

621d00_bd86acf156b64007811801a5fe080ae6~mv2_d_2048_1536_s_2.jpg
    21731214_1519579668125361_6235367467936393441_n.jpg?oh=f9456f7ff7b677652fe842e64e8c6592&oe=5A49571D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The Abbelby slow cooked Pork Fillet in BBQ sauce 600g is excellent, really tender pork, €4.99 is a bit steep though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

A bit left-field, maybe, but do Aldi (or anyone else for that matter) do a good value Pedro Ximinez dessert sherry?

Thanks.

D.

Ps. If you haven't had PX (it's the grape variety, not the brand of the wine) poured over vanilla ice-cream, you haven't lived! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Aldi don't do PX. They have a colheita tawny port and some trockenbeerenauslese (I think) but no PX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'm here to NOT recommend the Mini Desserts for 99c.
    They come in a little glass with a plastic lid and are available in Double Chocolate, Salted Caramel, Raspberry & Cream and another one I can't remember.

We got the Raspberry & Cream and the Salted Caramel ones and had them last night but we weren't impressed.
    They have a weird jelly-like topping and the cinnamon biscuit at the bottom of the Raspberry one was particularly nasty.
    Ugh.

Handy little glasses though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Quixo sage&onion stuffing mix at 59c is as good if not better than Paxo

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The Aldi Red / Green Thai Curry packs are very tasty for €1.99. You get individual sachets of curry paste, coconut milk and spices in each.

They also are doing a Katsu Curry and Goan Curry for €2.49. Had the Katsu which was very good too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Anyone ever try any of the recipes off the Aldi website?

fussyonion wrote: »
    I'm here to NOT recommend the Mini Desserts for 99c.
    They come in a little glass with a plastic lid and are available in Double Chocolate, Salted Caramel, Raspberry & Cream and another one I can't remember.

We got the Raspberry & Cream and the Salted Caramel ones and had them last night but we weren't impressed.
    They have a weird jelly-like topping and the cinnamon biscuit at the bottom of the Raspberry one was particularly nasty.
    Ugh.

Handy little glasses though.

The double chocolate one is lovely though .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

daisy123 wrote: »
    I still can't find them! And I've tried three Aldis! What section are they in or what other product are they near? I expected them to be with Sticky Toffee Puddings which I found alright, but I don't like them! Waaaaah. I need to try them!

Edit: It's the chocolate lava puddings I'm on the hunt for!

In my local store they're right next to the sticky toffee puddings, but there always seem to be a lot more of those than the lava cakes. Sounds as though you're looking in the right place, but they just might be out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Bought a few bottles of "Maisels Weisse" beer today (Kristall) and am very impressed.

Seems to be a very good spurious version of the much more expensive Erdinger Kristall.

Big thumbs up from me. Excellent beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Bought a few bottles of "Maisels Weisse" beer today (Kristall) and am very impressed.

Seems to be a very good spurious version of the much more expensive Erdinger Kristall.

Big thumbs up from me. Excellent beer.

Nothing spurious about it, its one of the biggest brands in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The Specially selected super berry Granola is the nicest breakfast cereal I've ever eaten, serious heap of fruit in it aswell, easily enough to count towards one of the five a day imo, I'm just happy to have found something to replace all the fries I eat at work.

Nothing spurious about it, its one of the biggest brands in Germany.

Oops. Wasn't aware of the brand, I just wrongly assumed it was an aldi copy :o

Anyways. Great beer, I'm a Big fan of the Erdinger Krystall, this will be my new tipple instead though.

Also noticed they had Bitburger back on their shelves. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Oops. Wasn't aware of the brand, I just wrongly assumed it was an aldi copy :o

An aldi version of Erdinger Kristall would be called something very subtle like Erdonger Crystals ;)

I had 2 types of Maisel in the porterhouse as it was one of their daily (weekly?) specials.

An old thread in the beer forum says this crowd are distributor here.
    http://premierinternational.ie/beers/

But I wonder if they just call themselves that, and are not actually official. When I saw it in Porterhouse I looked online and saw it was expensive in most places and wondered if they imported themselves.

I wonder if there is no official distributor then Maisels might not mind aldi shipping it to Ireland and selling here, and so avail of german wholesale prices. Like you might see tesco selling Walls branded ice creams here as well as HB.

I remember over 20 years ago getting lowenbrau beer as cheap as the cheapest of beers here (I see it 3.50 a bottle in molloys now :eek:), and stolichnaya vodka pretty cheap too, and at full 40%, both before there were distributors here. Years later stoli got a distributor here, dropped to 37.5% and increased the price.

rubadub wrote: »
    An aldi version of Erdinger Kristall would be called something very subtle like Erdonger Crystals ;)

I had 2 types of Maisel in the porterhouse as it was one of their daily (weekly?) specials.

An old thread in the beer forum says this crowd are distributor here.
    http://premierinternational.ie/beers/

But I wonder if they just call themselves that, and are not actually official. When I saw it in Porterhouse I looked online and saw it was expensive in most places and wondered if they imported themselves.

I wonder if there is no official distributor then Maisels might not mind aldi shipping it to Ireland and selling here, and so avail of german wholesale prices. Like you might see tesco selling Walls branded ice creams here as well as HB.

I remember over 20 years ago getting lowenbrau beer as cheap as the cheapest of beers here (I see it 3.50 a bottle in molloys now :eek:), and stolichnaya vodka pretty cheap too, and at full 40%, both before there were distributors here. Years later stoli got a distributor here, dropped to 37.5% and increased the price.

Lowenbrau, my dad used to buy that in cans from Dunnes, he thought he was the bees knees because he used to drink in New York in the 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Another shout for the Mexican bean soup.

Just had a bowl for my lunch and it was amazing. :)

Yep, just had this soup with some wheaten bread. Very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭54and56

rubadub wrote: »
    I wonder if there is no official distributor then Maisels might not mind aldi shipping it to Ireland and selling here, and so avail of german wholesale prices.

Even if Maisels had an official distributor here there is nothing Maisels could do to prevent Aldi buying in bulk in Germany (or anywhere else including grey market) and selling here.

That's how the likes of Dealz and other discount stores are able to offer such good pricing on well known brands.

Even if Maisels had an official distributor here there is nothing Maisels could do to prevent Aldi buying in bulk in Germany (or anywhere else including grey market) and selling here.

That's how the likes of Dealz and other discount stores are able to offer such good pricing on well known brands.

Spot on, Tesco were bringing in Stella Cidre a few years before Diageo go the distribution rights here, Wetherspoon are bringing Budweiser directly from Anheuser Busch in the Uk.
    Plenty of offies near me selling the UK version of different beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Don't know if I mentioned this, sorry if I have, but we're really loving the Andarra Merlot at the moment.
    €6.49 (I think?!) and it's absolutely gorgeous.
    Gonna stock up on these for the festive season; reckon it'll go perfectly with roast beef or a cheeseboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

fussyonion wrote: »
    Don't know if I mentioned this, sorry if I have, but we're really loving the Andarra Merlot at the moment.
    €6.49 (I think?!) and it's absolutely gorgeous.
    Gonna stock up on these for the festive season; reckon it'll go perfectly with roast beef or a cheeseboard.

Ya may stock up now, it will be minimum 9 quid a bottle soon when the new alcohol pricing laws come in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Ya may stock up now, it will be minimum 9 quid a bottle soon when the new alcohol pricing laws come in :(

What new alcohol pricing laws? Is the price of spirits going to go up?

fin12 wrote: »
    What new alcohol pricing laws? Is the price of spirits going to go up?

Yeah big time. I dont wanna derail this thread so I'll post a link to the thread in question, but yes is the answer
    No more reasonably priced booze soon. Government introducing laws to inflate alcohol prices in shops
    It's not even a tax so the increased prices actually benefit the supermarkets without increasing tax intake much, genius stuff, long live the nanny state:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104751955#post104751955

• Registered Users Posts: 13,783 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Yeah big time. I dont wanna derail this thread so I'll post a link to the thread in question, but yes is the answer No more reasonably priced booze soon. Government introducing laws to inflate alcohol prices in shops It's not even a tax so the increased prices actually benefit the supermarkets without increasing tax intake much, genius stuff, long live the nanny state:

It's not a done deal. The EU has already struck down similar legislation in Scotland for being anti-competitive and the CCPC is hugely against minimum alcohol pricing as they see it (rightly) as price fixing.

It'll be an interesting one to watch pan out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭54and56

Yeah big time. I dont wanna derail this thread so I'll post a link to the thread in question, but yes is the answer
    No more reasonably priced booze soon. Government introducing laws to inflate alcohol prices in shops
    It's not even a tax so the increased prices actually benefit the supermarkets without increasing tax intake much, genius stuff, long live the nanny state:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104751955#post104751955

Another good reason to keep the annual family camping holiday in France via ferry going!!

Another good reason to keep the annual family camping holiday in France via ferry going!!

Amen to that mate! A good excuse for a few trips up North too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Amen to that mate! A good excuse for a few trips up North too.

Brexit may put a stop to that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Pastrami - wafer thin, bbq flavour. kicks ham in the balls.

• Advertisement

TheShow wrote: »
    Pastrami - wafer thin, bbq flavour. kicks ham in the balls.

I second that. Been buying it for a few weeks now. Goes well in their subs with a few thinly sliced gherkins, and a good dollop of Dijon.

Advertisement