Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

TheShow wrote:
    Pastrami - wafer thin, bbq flavour. kicks ham in the balls.

I love pastrami but BBQ flavour just sounds all kinds of wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    I second that. Been buying it for a few weeks now. Goes well in their subs with a few thinly sliced gherkins, and a good dollop of Dijon.

Where is the Pastrami located in store? They never heard of it my local but I found it in Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Where is the Pastrami located in store? They never heard of it my local but I found it in Lidl.

Same spot as Turkey slices, roast beef etc etc.

They do two different types of pastrami, one that's called New York deli style (IIRC) and that's got a peppered crust to it. The other is the BBQ type one.

Both are really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I love pastrami but BBQ flavour just sounds all kinds of wrong.

Very delicate flavoured. Very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

With all the other Cold cuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

TheShow wrote: »

Are we living in the Bronx now?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

TheShow wrote: »

If only we had their delis :-P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

There was an episode of Eastenders a few years ago where they kept saying "cold cuts". It was really weird, like someone had dared them to say it as many times as they could in an episode.

Anyway..... cherry Skyr yoghurt things are really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Had a pack of the Pastrami that I had to take back a few weeks ago, all gristle. They did replace it though, fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

There was an episode of Eastenders a few years ago where they kept saying "cold cuts". It was really weird, like someone had dared them to say it as many times as they could in an episode.

Anyway..... cherry Skyr yoghurt things are really nice.

How?

Why?

I really wish there was an easy way to track down specific episodes of EE because now I really want to hear them all talking about cold cuts.

• Advertisement

B0jangles wrote: »
    How?

Why?

I really wish there was an easy way to track down specific episodes of EE because now I really want to hear them all talking about cold cuts.

I think it was around Christmas, maybe the day after. If memery serves me someone had a tray of cold meat, I assume left overs, or someone had given it to them for Christmas. They kept inviting other characters round for lunch, "I've got some cold cuts" she kept saying. I think someone was up for it but then cancelled and she was all "but what about the cold cuts?!" I know it sounds weird but I specifically remember thinking why do they keep saying "cold cuts" like that's not a very American phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It was Dot whose "cold cuts" went missing apparently. If you Google "Eastenders cold cuts" there's a few hits on various UK TV forums about it. Seems to have been around 2013 when it happened.

Alun wrote: »
    It was Dot whose "cold cuts" went missing apparently. If you Google "Eastenders cold cuts" there's a few hits on various UK TV forums about it. Seems to have been around 2013 when it happened.

Yeah, I do remember something about them being stolen goods, maybe that's why whoever it was was so keen to get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Well this thread has certainly taken a turn to the esoteric...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Well this thread has certainly taken a turn to the esoteric...

all started with someone talking a load of baloney pastrami.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I usually do the majority of my weekly shop in Tesco and picking up a few things in Aldi, but I think I want to try and move the majority of my shop over to Aldi if possible.

There are certain branded items I won't budge on but trust me, I have actually tried Aldi's versions before deciding the branded one was for me.
    I'm wondering if you can recommend:

A bar of chocolate which would be the equivalent of say Galaxy or a flavoured chocolate.
    Also can you recommend:

Potato waffles-are they just as nice as Birds Eye or am I best off sticking with the latter?
    Cornflakes- are they just as nice as Kellogg's?

Any other hidden gems or items that, in your view, are just as good as their branded rivals?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Has anyone tried their version of Shredded Wheat? Picked up a box for OH today. He's very defensive of his love for branded Shredded Wheat so am wondering what reaction I'll get when he tries them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    Has anyone tried their version of Shredded Wheat? Picked up a box for OH today. He's very defensive of his love for branded Shredded Wheat so am wondering what reaction I'll get when he tries them!

Put the Aldi bag in the shredded wheat box and don't say a word. See if he notices :D

fussyonion wrote: »
    A bar of chocolate which would be the equivalent of say Galaxy or a flavoured chocolate.

Any other hidden gems or items that, in your view, are just as good as their branded rivals?

I don't really like chocolate so don't take my word for it but I had a bar of Aldi's bubbly mint chocolate in the house recently and it tasted pretty much the same as the Aero version. They have a variety of other bars in the same label.

As far as breakfast cereal goes I find their version of cheerios a million times nicer than actual cheerios.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭flipsat

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/aldi-launches-brand-slimming-world-11244997 wonder if this range will be available in Ireland?

• Advertisement

I can't think of anything that is specifically like Galaxy chocolate, but as for various flavoured chocolates, they do bags of little Roar bars that are basically Lion bars, and they have a 200g turkish delight bar that's like a cadbury's Turkish Delight but with better chocolate. They also have a sort of rolo-type chocolate that comes in bags that (if I remember correctly) comes in caramel, peanut butter and salted caramel. I have tried the peanut butter one and if you like reese's peanut butter cups they will probably suit you very well - they are similar but not as sweet.

I've hidden the bag on myself so I only eat a couple a day :)

Edit: Oh no, I found it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Put the Aldi bag in the shredded wheat box and don't say a word. See if he notices :D

Considered that 😂 but the packaging on the biscuits has Aldi written all over them!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    Considered that 😂 but the packaging on the biscuits has Aldi written all over them!!!

Emery board and file down the first bowlful... afterwards he'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Picked up a bottle of the Iron Horse Barossa Valley Shiraz recently - great wine for the money. Really impressed, rich, intense, lots of fruit and chocolate.

Barossa-Valley-Shiraz-A.jpg?o=tTliZTc8oD3Xmj3w%2540phRTixsm4Mj&V=1MlH

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Aldi have breaded mozzarella and camembert sticks back in stock, been missing for months

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

fussyonion wrote: »
    I usually do the majority of my weekly shop in Tesco and picking up a few things in Aldi, but I think I want to try and move the majority of my shop over to Aldi if possible.

There are certain branded items I won't budge on but trust me, I have actually tried Aldi's versions before deciding the branded one was for me.
    I'm wondering if you can recommend:

Cornflakes- are they just as nice as Kellogg's?

I use the Dairyfine chocolate bars for cooking and think they are great. Really smooth. Often eaten before I can do any cooking with them!

We sometimes get the shredded wheat equivalent, which I think are exactly the same, and the Special K equivalent, which I think are much nicer, so I'd imagine the corn flakes are probably quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

The special k/benefit cereal is nice although when you get to end of box you are usually left with a bowl or two of fine dust and once I nearly cracked a tooth on a flake it was so hard.

Malari wrote: »
    I use the Dairyfine chocolate bars for cooking and think they are great. Really smooth. Often eaten before I can do any cooking with them!

I do the same; I'd never buy actual cooking chocolate these days since the aldi Dairyfine is hardly any more expensive and is a hundred times nicer tasting than cooking chocolate.

Out of curiosity, I just checked and apparently the only benefit to using cooking chocolate (apart from cost) is that it stays shiny after melting/hardening, whereas you have to temper eating chocolate yourself to get it to stay shiny. That's really not a major consideration for me - I'd far rather have dull-looking but delicious-tasting chocolate than the reverse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

B0jangles wrote: »
    I do the same; I'd never buy actual cooking chocolate these days since the aldi Dairyfine is hardly any more expensive and is a hundred times nicer tasting than cooking chocolate.

Out of curiosity, I just checked and apparently the only benefit to using cooking chocolate (apart from cost) is that it stays shiny after melting/hardening, whereas you have to temper eating chocolate yourself to get it to stay shiny. That's really not a major consideration for me - I'd far rather have dull-looking but delicious-tasting chocolate than the reverse :)

Oh yeah, I never buy cooking chocolate ("chocolate-like cake covering" - vom), but buying real chocolate is very expensive for good quality. Aldi stuff is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hilarious!
    I did this with OH and didn't notice at all.
    Definitely try it.

Advertisement