Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Anyone ever try the turkey sausages?

I occasionally buy them for Mrs G!, they taste like sausages!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Aldi have breaded mozzarella and camembert sticks back in stock, been missing for months

Just back from Aldi - thank you! Loving the fresh stuffed pastas lately especially mushroom, little pesto and parmesan on top and dinner time!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Has anyone noticed the salad bags (as part of a trio with meat and dressing) have been very poor lately? They don't last any longer than 2-3 days for me and are ready for the bin a good few days before the best before date.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

SB_Part2 wrote:
    Has anyone noticed the salad bags (as part of a trio with meat and dressing) have been very poor lately? They don't last any longer than 2-3 days for me and are ready for the bin a good few days before the best before date.

And my local Aldi hasn't been doing the avocado dressing in awhile either. So I bought the soya, ginger and chilli one in the bottle. Not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The Choceur Rum n Raisin chocolate is insanely good.
    I went out to buy another bar after the first one mysteriously got eaten (:D) but they'd none left.

Picked up the Choceur Fruit and Nut instead and it's just as good.
    The chocolate is so thick, there's plenty of raisins and nuts; a LOT more than Dairy Milk Fruit and Nut and the raisins are bigger too, not small and chewy like Cadbury's.
    Definitely loving the Choceur range.

The Sour Cream and Onion Lentil Curls are nice too by the way, as are the Salt and Vinegar Stackers, which at one time were NOT nice, but they've changed the recipe and they'd rival Pringles IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

There was an episode of Eastenders a few years ago where they kept saying "cold cuts". It was really weird, like someone had dared them to say it as many times as they could in an episode.

Anyway..... cherry Skyr yoghurt things are really nice.

Just wish they’d do a sugar/flavor free one. Then I could add a level teaspoon of honey or maple syrup, instead of the usual unnecessary amounts of assorted sweeteners manufacturers include. End of mini-rant!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Had the Specially Selected Thai style prawn fish cakes served with their Thai veg stirfry for dinner this evening again, highly recommend both. Nice bang of coriander and lemongrass of the fishcakes, very fragrant. The Thai veg stirfry is extremely good too. Great flavours and a faint taste of coconut milk from them.

Good for what it is.

On the other hand, I can report that their slim free (or whatever it is called) sweet potato curry with spinach is muck apparently. (Said the wife)

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Have stopped buying the Kavanaghs Organic Porridge.....I remember somebody early on in the Summer saying the same...
    seem to have changed the recipe. Gone back to Flahavans....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Have stopped buying the Kavanaghs Organic Porridge.....I remember somebody early on in the Summer saying the same...

Wow, 4 of us have them each morning and no difference at all

Choceur, little bars, about 10 in a pack and 4 different flavours, strawberry, cookies and milk and 2 others, I think they are 1.79 but are lovely.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

How do the frozen stir fry veg compare to the fresh stuff?

• Advertisement

How do the frozen stir fry veg compare to the fresh stuff?

The Thai-style bag is delicious. Garlic shoots, carrot, water chestnuts, beansprouts, peppers and other veg I can't remember...really nice.

I find fresh stirfry mixes stink, especially if they contain broccoli.

fussyonion wrote: »
    The Thai-style bag is delicious. Garlic shoots, carrot, water chestnuts, beansprouts, peppers and other veg I can't remember...really nice.

Yeah, they can pong a bit. What's the texture like though? Similar to the fresh stuff? I assume you have to cook it a bit longer than you would normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I thought exactly the same so don't buy it any longer, now buying Bunalun.

fussyonion wrote: »

Yeah, they can pong a bit. What's the texture like though? Similar to the fresh stuff? I assume you have to cook it a bit longer than you would normally.

Takes a bit longer to cook yes because it's frozen but I just cover the pan with a lid for a while to steam them, then remove the lid to allow the water to evaporate.
    Didn't take as long as other mixes to cook though and that's cos all the veg is chopped uniformly.

We loved it in this house, especially as the veg has flavour as opposed to just being plain veg; there's garlic and Thai flavours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I don't eat porridge but my other half does and he noticed this as well recently. He's on Lidl's version now and says it's nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I think the bag of porridge is fine, but the quick microwaveable oats stuff is not that nice. I stick with the Flahavan's stuff.

The dried mango is delicious! Best stuff I've found!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Had the Specially Selected Thai style prawn fish cakes served with their Thai veg stirfry for dinner this evening again, highly recommend both. Nice bang of coriander and lemongrass of the fishcakes, very fragrant. The Thai veg stirfry is extremely good too. Great flavours and a faint taste of coconut milk from them.

Good for what it is.

On the other hand, I can report that their slim free (or whatever it is called) sweet potato curry with spinach is muck apparently. (Said the wife)

Hi

Are the Fish Cakes in the Frozen section please or fresh?
    I often see recommendations here but when I go into the store I can't find anything!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The fish cakes are in the chiller section with the other fish products.

There are two ranges of fish cakes. One "standard" range with Cod, Smoked Haddock or Salmon, and the fancier "Specially Selected" range with all kinds of flavours. Now, personally, I actually prefer the standard ones, especially the salmon ones as I just find they have more fish in them. The Specially Selected ones, rather oddly, seem to have much less fish and more potato / cheese / sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Nice big plump Spanish purple garlic now in stock by the normal garlic.....

Bought a chainsaw this morning while in doing my shop. Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I do that every time when they are on offer.
    I have 7 now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Not a tough steak to be seen in that house again!

Not a tough steak to be seen in that house again!

Made a mess of the butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Just in time for Halloween :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Are the chainsaws any good,have a few smallish trees around house that are too strong for a hedge trimmer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The frozen cauliflower in cheese sauce is quite nice, 1.49 a bag

Are the chainsaws any good,have a few smallish trees around house that are too strong for a hedge trimmer

Will let you know in a day or so. Bought it to chop up a few bits of cherry tree into logs and get rid of a few lilacs. Hopefully it'll do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Maggiesims

Anyone suffer from serious stomach cramps after roasting aldi whole chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

vicwatson wrote: »
    The frozen cauliflower in cheese sauce is quite nice, 1.49 a bag

It's a huge hit in this house.
    - one product I can find in the store!!

It disappeared for a while in our branch, the staff told me it's seasonal, so I stock up now.

• Advertisement

They have their Christmas selection back in the freezers. I can confirm the chocolate eclairs are quite nice. Bought the duck rolls too but haven't tried them.

Advertisement