Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Dónal wrote: »
    They have their Christmas selection back in the freezers. I can confirm the chocolate eclairs are quite nice. Bought the duck rolls too but haven't tried them.
    But but it's only 6 October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

etselbbuns wrote: »
    But but it's only 6 October.

The mince pies were sold out here. When I saw that I felt sick. I'm already over xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Apparently Aldi are selling a Pumpkin Spice cream liqeuer. €10. Has anyone bought it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

dudara wrote: »
    Apparently Aldi are selling a Pumpkin Spice cream liqeuer. €10. Has anyone bought it yet?

I'd imagine it will just be cinnamon, nutmeg and clove flavoured Bailey's. Sounds pretty awful, really.

Well, pumpkin spice is generally cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and clove, so that's exactly the flavour I'm hoping for. I tend to like flavours like that, but curious about it in a cream liqueur context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Will let you know in a day or so. Bought it to chop up a few bits of cherry tree into logs and get rid of a few lilacs. Hopefully it'll do the job.

Just try not to be tickling Elmo with it.

Also, I cooked a few of the Specially selected black pudding pork sausages this morning. Nice solid pork sausage, good flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Ah, Rick Shaw, you fooled me with your Bąnned ;)

dudara wrote: »

They're definitely selling it alright. Unfortunately I've had to leave without the bottle I had picked, due to our stupid laws about selling gargle before 1230 on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

Just got the Aldi pastrami! Yum! Made a toasted sandwich with the Aldi vintage cheddar and Aldi pickles! Will need to make another trip to buy some more!highly recommend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Does anyone know if Aldi sell lactose-free milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

fussyonion wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Aldi sell lactose-free milk?

Yes they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭LJ3103

Maggiesims wrote: »
    Anyone suffer from serious stomach cramps after roasting aldi whole chicken.

I get a lot of bloating and gas in my stomach after eating them, its the same with the pork chops.

Yet I can eat the chicken and pork from my local butchers without issue

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Had my first Aldi shop last Saturday. Those silver bins in the middle of the floor are a treasure cove of items a I didn't think I needed but now own regardless!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

LJ3103 wrote: »
    I get a lot of bloating and gas in my stomach after eating them, its the same with the pork chops.

Yet I can eat the chicken and pork from my local butchers without issue

Whats the implication? Never had an issue, in fact I think their pork is very good, dont buy their whole chickens

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Does the new recipe for Moser Roth Madagascan Vanilla chocolate taste better than it was...not sure. It's harder and crumblier now. I liked the smooth creamy texture before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Black Angus Rump steaks(28days) are alright. In the fancy boxes and 2 for €6.50, 400g

First time cooking a rump steak, was going to buy the normal ribeye(25days) but above was same price and extra 100g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

RasTa wrote: »
    Black Angus Rump steaks(28days) are alright. In the fancy boxes and 2 for €6.50, 400g

First time cooking a rump steak, was going to buy the normal ribeye(25days) but above was same price and extra 100g

The ribeyes are 400g.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    The ribeyes are 400g.

It could have being striploin. Both were 6 something however the non black box one was definitely 300g

• Registered Users Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭caviardreams

doylefe wrote: »
    Does the new recipe for Moser Roth Madagascan Vanilla chocolate taste better than it was...not sure. It's harder and crumblier now. I liked the smooth creamy texture before.

Oh no. Have they changed all the bars e.g. the 85%? Do they still come in the 5 mini bars format? Love the 85% Moser Roth.

• Advertisement

Oh no. Have they changed all the bars e.g. the 85%? Do they still come in the 5 mini bars format? Love the 85% Moser Roth.

The new one is smaller in weight and not individually wrapped. Not sure if they are going to discontinue the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Maggiesims

vicwatson wrote: »
    Whats the implication? Never had an issue, in fact I think their pork is very good, dont buy their whole chickens

I was asking had anyone an issue??? Obviously I won.t be buying them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Maggiesims wrote:
    I was asking had anyone an issue??? Obviously I won.t be buying them again.

I've never had an issue.

People seem to think Aldi and Lidl source their meat from some mysterious discount meat gulag. They use the same rearers and farmers as plenty of other Irish retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I've never had an issue.

People seem to think Aldi and Lidl source their meat from some mysterious discount meat gulag. They use the same rearers and farmers as plenty of other Irish retailers.

Great that you've never had an issue. I never buy chicken from Aldi anymore. It's not down to any idea of a "meat gulag" it's because there have been too many times I've opened a packet to find it inedible. Most likely down to storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I've never had an issue.

As was evident in the UK a fortnight ago with the 2 Sisters plant
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/sep/29/food-regulator-chicken-supplier-food-safety-dates-2-sisters-food-group

• Registered Users Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭SteM

I've never had an issue.

Me neither, but I generally only buy meat anywhere if I'm going to use it that day or the followig day. My mum seems to think Lidl & Aldi stocks.....

latest?cb=20120106175226

Looking forward to trying the dexter burgers.

Aldi chicken breasts are disgusting, whole chicken also horrible.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

RasTa wrote: »
    Looking forward to trying the dexter burgers.

Aldi chicken breasts are disgusting, whole chicken also horrible.

I find their breasts sometimes smell a bit funny when you open the packet but they cook fine and taste fine. Most raw chicken smells a bit when you open the packet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

I buy their whole chicken and chicken breasts all the time...and I dont have a problem with them.

• Advertisement

I have given up on chicken breasts altogether from any retailer as I find the thighs much, much more tasty and kinder on the pockets to boot.

They can be filleted easily enough if needed.

I buy meat from Aldi regularly. Never have an issue. Ever.

Advertisement