Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Maggiesims

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I've never had an issue.

People seem to think Aldi and Lidl source their meat from some mysterious discount meat gulag. They use the same rearers and farmers as plenty of other Irish retailers.

Great if you never had an issue but i was asking more than "you" if they ever had an issue ...

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

Their chocolate ganache's in the fridge (black ceramic bown, bright packaging) are aaaaamazing. Get the pink one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Maggiesims wrote: »
    Great if you never had an issue but i was asking more than "you" if they ever had an issue ...

And plenty of others have posted to say they don’t have any problems with it

Maybe time for moving on and getting back to the thread title.

ALDI double Gloucester cheese with chives is a masterpiece - €1.49

• Registered Users Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Maggiesims wrote:

Who exactly were you asking, if not the forum at large?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Maggiesims wrote: »
    I have had a few issues with chicken unfortunately it was well in date but had definitely gone off by the time I went to use it...I have highlighted this in this thread before and have had issues with fish products...both times I got fish which seemed fine but I got very sick after it...I complained and nothing was done , sure enough product recalled following week due to a high level of something or other...
    I just find the chicken doesn’t last long ....everything else seems fine...beef, pork, duck and lamb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I find the whole chickens from Aldi to be absolutely gorgeous.

So tender and tasty and we buy one almost every week in our house.
    In contrast, I've bought whole chickens from Tesco before and the meat was tough. I've never known the breast meat from a chicken to be tough and hard to chew, but it was on the Tesco one.

I really like the lean minced beef from Aldi, too, and my fella loves the pork chops.

The Angus steak in the black box is amazing too.

Have to say, I find Aldi's meat range to be fantastic and great value for money.

I have had many occasions in the past where chicken from Dunnes has gone off before its' best before date; so often in fact that I no longer buy meat from Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Cooked one of the free-range ALDI chickens today for 4 adults & no complaints from anyone and all clean plates. Think they're €5.29?
    Was delicious anyway! Rubbed it with a 'Deep South Brown Sugar' rub I piced up there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Keep it sweet please people! Chicken meat certainly seems to get people pretty passionate but try to remember to attack the post as opposed the poster.

The Gloomster!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

fussyonion wrote: »

I have had many occasions in the past where chicken from Dunnes has gone off before its' best before date; so often in fact that I no longer buy meat from Dunnes.

Id imagine it's all down to storage. Like you with dunnes, I won't buy chicken from Aldi - but it has always been the same two Aldis I've had an issue with. My mother buys her chicken there and never had an issue - different shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Just spent the last while going through about twenty pages compiling a list of stuff to have a mooch for in Aldi. Going there this week for the first time in months and I'm so excited.

As for the chicken in Aldi, I never buy it there anymore. The last time I bought chicken there when I opened it up to wash it before roasting there was something that resembled sh!t smeared around it, so it was binned and I haven't and won't buy their chicken since.

Don't buy their fish their either, go to the local fish shop now instead.

• Advertisement

Just spent the last while going through about twenty pages compiling a list of stuff to have a mooch for in Aldi. Going there this week for the first time in months and I'm so excited.

As for the chicken in Aldi, I never buy it there anymore. The last time I bought chicken there when I opened it up to wash it before roasting there was something that resembled sh!t smeared around it, so it was binned and I haven't and won't buy their chicken since.

Don't buy their fish their either, go to the local fish shop now instead.

You wash chicken?!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Takes a bit longer to cook yes because it's frozen but I just cover the pan with a lid for a while to steam them, then remove the lid to allow the water to evaporate.
    Didn't take as long as other mixes to cook though and that's cos all the veg is chopped uniformly.

We loved it in this house, especially as the veg has flavour as opposed to just being plain veg; there's garlic and Thai flavours.

Tried the Thai-style veg today. Was pleasantly surprised. The veg had a slightly different texture than the fresh stuff but it still had a bit of a bite to it. I didn't realise there was flavourings in/on the veg that kind of makes its own sauce. Not a huge fan of those Thai lemongrass coriander flavours but again I was pleasantly surprised, flavours weren't too strong and when I tossed noodles through they soaked most of it up.

Definitely worth having a few bags in the freezer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I've had problems with chicken from Aldi too (think I might have mentioned it in this thread before actually) but find all the rest of their meat fine, so I just buy the chicken elsewhere now.

You wash chicken?!
    I do and have done for years.

Given what I found in that chicken I would never ever cook a chicken without washing.

Given what I found in that chicken I would never ever cook a chicken without washing.

Cooking the chicken kills anything that might be on it. Washing chicken makes it more likely that you'll spread bacteria all over the kitchen.

Loads of people wash it though, apparently, so you're not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

It's not good food hygiene to wash chicken, it creates more problems than it solves. It used to be advised to do so years ago but not any more.
    I buy the free range chicken in both Lidl and Aldi. Never had an issue with them.

Safefood will be in touch shortly.

Someone mentioned fishcakes a while back. The salmon ones are delicious. They're covered in an oaty covering and have spinach and lemon in them.

Someone mentioned fishcakes a while back. The salmon ones are delicious. They're covered in an oaty covering and have spinach and lemon in them.

Yes they're delicious. So much salmon in them. Love them served with miniature baby potatoes and salad.

Yes they're delicious. So much salmon in them. Love them served with miniature baby potatoes and salad.

• Advertisement

Easily the nicest bought fish cakes I've ever had. Maybe even nicer than my own homemade ones.

Cooking the chicken kills anything that might be on it. Washing chicken makes it more likely that you'll spread bacteria all over the kitchen.

Loads of people wash it though, apparently, so you're not alone.
    It's not good food hygiene to wash chicken, it creates more problems than it solves. It used to be advised to do so years ago but not any more.
    I buy the free range chicken in both Lidl and Aldi. Never had an issue with them.
    Safefood will be in touch shortly.
    My grandmother always, always washed chickens for eighty years if not more, never once was there an issue with hygiene, chicken goes from fridge to sink and then roasting dish. Once everything is properly cleaned down and sanitized after there shouldn't be an issue.

Each to their own and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Specially Selected authentically strained Greek style Yoghurt.

Specifically the Nectarine and Lime flavour.

Wow.

My grandmother always, always washed chickens for eighty years if not more, never once was there an issue with hygiene, chicken goes from fridge to sink and then roasting dish. Once everything is properly cleaned down and sanitized after there shouldn't be an issue.

And likewise, people have been cooking chickens without washing them for generations without getting sick.

There is almost zero chance that what you saw inside your chicken that time was excrement. Without getting into a very gross explanation, physiology keeps waste products in essentially a self-sealing environment. It would take extended poor handling on an absolutely catastrophic scale for you to have found sh*t inside your chicken. And believe me, the news would have made it into the public domain.

And likewise, people have been cooking chickens without washing them for generations without getting sick.

There is almost zero chance that what you saw inside your chicken that time was excrement. Without getting into a very gross explanation, physiology keeps waste products in essentially a self-sealing environment. It would take extended poor handling on an absolutely catastrophic scale for you to have found sh*t inside your chicken. And believe me, the news would have made it into the public domain.
    Exactly, hence why I said each to their own.

I never said what I found was excrement, I said it resembled excrement, so it looked like excrement, but wasn't excrement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

The barbeque ribs are delicious,huge hit here and I've been doing them once a week for ages.Definitely going to try the salmon fishcakes.

My staples in Aldi are the Kilkelly Gold butter,the chocolate wafer bars,weetabix,fruit pastilles,red apples,the blue clothes conditioner(smell lasts way longer than lenor),the 89c pancakes,the roll_on deodorant,tinfoil,bottles of sports top water,the lilies,the chocolate au pains,the ketchup....these are things that I find better in Aldi than anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Each to their own and all that.

Food Safety Authority in the UK says to never wash chicken.

https://www.food.gov.uk/news-updates/campaigns/campylobacter/fsw-2014

Who knew chicken could take up so many posts.

Food Safety Authority in the UK says to never wash chicken.

https://www.food.gov.uk/news-updates/campaigns/campylobacter/fsw-2014
    I'm aware of the FSA say, but as I've said, more than once, its something that has been done by myself and various other people that I know, for years. Years. So while its not recommended by the FSA, its also not something that I will be changing given that it has never once proven an issue in either for myself or those I know.

Just because its not recommended doesn't make it wrong (in my opinion).

Each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

On chickenwashgate, I don't wash chicken & never have, bar a rinse perhaps if I've had to depluck thighs (am weird about feathery/pinends left in). However as above, many have done it for years with no ill effects, most likely because they clean correctly afterwards.
    The warnings are possibly directed at people who could be a bit haphazard in the kitchen and not think to wash hands after washing the chicken or could be splashing water around the sink area without realising.

Advertisement