Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I remember the first Christmas after having my baby. He was 11 days old. I was advised by the mammy in law to rinse the turkey. I was there holding it under the tap when it dawned on me that it felt a bit like holding the baby. Then my hormone ravaged mind said in a nasty voice "well..... it WAS a baby once. A baby turkey with a mammy who looked after it......"

I cried. A lot.

I no longer wash poultry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I think it’s time to move back on topic please.

The Gloomster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

RasTa wrote: »
    It could have being striploin. Both were 6 something however the non black box one was definitely 300g

I bought the Rump steaks yesterday. They are actually 6.79 for 2. But 454g, not 400. So work out a bit bit cheaper than the ribeyes witch are 6.49 for 400g.
    Could not see any 300g steaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Bought their wholegrain sliced pan yesterday for the first time, not sure if it’s a regular product as I usually buy a different brown, eating it today there was a weird taste and smell from it, not a mouldy or rotting smell but a perfume type smell - it smelled like the same as the taste. Anyone else buy this and experience the same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Picked up their hot sauce. Scotch bonnet and Paypaya by Bramwells. Small bottle but at 59c couldn't say no. Nice taste off it but not used with food yet.

Also picked up their dexter burgers. They will have one of those sous-vide wands next week for €60, not going to bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I had the should of lamb with berry sauce the other night. Very nice but very small for 2 portions which is what it said it was for on the box. Luckily got to enjoy it all by myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

They have a limited edition fresh Chicken Karahi pizza at the moment that is very delicious indeed - good crust and beautifully flavoured topping.

8bNr7DT.jpg

'Tis quite big!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

B0jangles wrote: »
    They have a limited edition fresh Chicken Karahi pizza at the moment that is very delicious indeed - good crust and beautifully flavoured topping.

'Tis quite big!

How spicy is this? Was going to chance it at the weekend but was put off by fears of a burning mouth!

For reference, I can tolerate a small amount of normal chilli in a stir fry, etc but nothing too major!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The chicken itself isn't that spicy, but it's liberally laced with slices of red chilli which you can push to one side if necessary.

Alun wrote: »
    The chicken itself isn't that spicy, but it's liberally laced with slices of red chilli which you can push to one side if necessary.

Perfectly described :)

• Advertisement

Had this over the weekend. It was absolutely delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Alun wrote: »

Cheers... Will give it a go... A stray chilli seed that I miss here or there I can cope with :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Had one of those pizzas during the week and I must admit it's one of the nicest shop bought ones I have had

• Registered Users Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

B0jangles wrote:

Picked one up just now, that'll be tomorrow's Friday night treat! I hope it's absolutely laced with chillies, I'm hopelessly addicted.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Picked one up just now, that'll be tomorrow's Friday night treat! I hope it's absolutely laced with chillies, I'm hopelessly addicted.

Have to say that I didn't find it spicy. Very very tasty but no heat off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭54and56

I'm not a big chocolate/snack fan but I can't believe how good the Choceur Rum Raisin & Nut Bar is. It's got so much rum in it I'm reluctant to share with my kids!!

aldi-choceur-rum-raisin-hazelnut1508414790.jpg

It's really well-spiced, but not actually spicy-hot (unlike the frozen lidl hot and spicy pizza which is just... lethally hot). Might be an idea to pick up a few extra red chilis to pan-fry and then sprinkle on top if you want a bit of extra heat?

John_Mc wrote:
    Have to say that I didn't find it spicy. Very very tasty but no heat off it.

B0jangles wrote:
    It's really well-spiced, but not actually spicy-hot (unlike the frozen lidl hot and spicy pizza which is just... lethally hot). Might be an idea to pick up a few extra red chilis to pan-fry and then sprinkle on top if you want a bit of extra heat?

Thinly sliced raw chillies going on it once it comes out of the oven, so!

Lidl sometimes do a jalapeno pizza as part of their El Tequito Mexican specials. I have an asbestos tongue and I ended up having to pull the chillies off the last couple of slices. By far the hottest supermarket pizza I've ever come across.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm not a big chocolate/snack fan but I can't believe how good the Choceur Rum Raisin & Nut Bar is. It's got so much rum in it I'm reluctant to share with my kids!!

I haven't tried that one yet but I love the rich almond one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Thinly sliced raw chillies going on it once it comes out of the oven, so!

Lidl sometimes do a jalapeno pizza as part of their El Tequito Mexican specials. I have an asbestos tongue and I ended up having to pull the chillies off the last couple of slices. By far the hottest supermarket pizza I've ever come across.

Try this one from Lidl, hottest ready made one I've come across.

IMG_2086.jpg

I know this is the Aldi thread, but ......

• Advertisement

Kat1170 wrote: »
    I know this is the Aldi thread, but ......

That's it! Kill it with fire!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Kat1170 wrote: »

Tried that once....never again....not even if someone just offered me a slice!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I ate an entire one of those before, Dad came and stole a bite and thought he was going to have a heart attack!!! Didn't find it too bad but wasn't a pleasant heat, more burning so wouldn't get it again.

I ate an entire one of those before, Dad came and stole a bite and thought he was going to have a heart attack!!! Didn't find it too bad but wasn't a pleasant heat, more burning so wouldn't get it again.

My dad is the biggest spice wuss ever. The first time I made fajitas for him he thought the bowl of jalapeños were olives and took a big forkful while I was dishing up.

I don't find jalapeños particularly hot but jesus christ, I thought I was going to have to ring an ambulance for the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,338 ✭✭✭✭Esel

My dad is the biggest spice wuss ever. The first time I made fajitas for him he thought the bowl of jalapeños were olives and took a big forkful while I was dishing up.

I don't find jalapeños particularly hot but jesus christ, I thought I was going to have to ring an ambulance for the man.

jalapeñosX

Don't be posh - just say jalapenos.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote:
    Don't be posh - just say jalapenos.

My phone autocompleted the word with the tilde.

Clearly Boards isn't "posh" enough to cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

My phone autocompleted the word with the tilde.

Clearly Boards isn't "posh" enough to cope.

'Smore complicated than that :eek:

Don't go there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,338 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Left out the :)

Not your ornery onager

Dial Hard wrote:

Well, I'm very sorry to report that I was disctinctly underwhelmed by this :-(

It smelled so good when I unwrapped it that I had seriously high hopes but it was all a bit disappointing in the end. Base was good (after a bit of crisping up on a dry pan) but everything else was just.... meh. The sauce was very sweet. The chillies were so thinly sliced that they just turned to paper in the oven. Nowhere near enough cheese. And the whole thing was very dry, even though I went slightly under on the cooking time, as I always do with pizza because I finish it off on a dry pan to crisp up the base.

There was loads of potential here, but it just didn't work for me.

Aldi should actually sell those bases on their own, you could work magic with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Picked up one of these today. The flavour takes me right back to childhood

Advertisement