Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Finally got some of those frozen croissants, been looking for weeks but always just those choc au pains in stock.

Will report back in the morning. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Finally got some of those frozen croissants, been looking for weeks but always just those choc au pains in stock.

Will report back in the morning. :)

You will be impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

You will be impressed

They are really nice! Picked some up after reading about them here. "Baked" them in the Air fryer. Breakfast bliss!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Had to throw out two bags of food from the fridge-freezer thanks to Ophelia :( easily €100 worth.
    Will be heading to Aldi to stock up on all the staples!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Aldi have mozzarella and sundried tomato chicken sausages. Very tasty for the low kcal and fat content . I hope it's not a once off product

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

ArtyC wrote: »
    Aldi have mozzarella and sundried tomato chicken sausages. Very tasty for the low kcal and fat content . I hope it's not a once off product

I was looking for these yesterday evening, but couldn't see any in my local Aldi.

Where are they located does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Had a Dexter Rib Eye yesterday

minute each side on a hot griddle pan, then into the oven for a medium rare finish. Rib Eye needs the extra cooking time to take it from rare to medium rare or even medium so you break down the connective and render the internal fat.

That was one of the best steaks I've ever eaten. Lovely and tender, juicy and flavoursome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Had a Dexter Rib Eye yesterday

minute each side on a hot griddle pan, then into the oven for a medium rare finish. Rib Eye needs the extra cooking time to take it from rare to medium rare or even medium so you break down the connective and render the internal fat.

That was one of the best steaks I've ever eaten. Lovely and tender, juicy and flavoursome.

Ribeye is my favourite cut, totally different flavour but it needs correct cooking to get it right. Must pick up one of those in Aldi tomorrow.
    I also have a heifer named Ribeye this year :o

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    I was looking for these yesterday evening, but couldn't see any in my local Aldi.

They was only one packet left after I took two. They were with the super 6 in Galway anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Tis 6 bucks for the ribeye. I'll wait for the striploin/sirloin next week for €4. I did think the Dexter burgers was one of the best I've had in awhile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cobham

I have been enjoying the Aldi own brand GF pizza for about year but now they seem to have disappeared. I will be upset if this is a permanent change. I have tried other brands but their one was favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

RasTa wrote: »
    Tis 6 bucks for the ribeye. I'll wait for the striploin/sirloin next week for €4. I did think the Dexter burgers was one of the best I've had in awhile

Well worth it!

I'll get the sirloin next week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Rick Shaw wrote: »

Saw them in Super 6 section last week, weren't there today when I wanted them. I enquired about them and was told they were a one off delivery!!:mad:

prodsc wrote: »
    Saw them in Super 6 section last week, weren't there today when I wanted them. I enquired about them and was told they were a one off delivery!!:mad:

That's so pointless !! I want more of them

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Spotted some fresh turmeric on the veg shelves in my Aldi yesterday, near the garlic. I don't need any, nor am I quite sure what I'd do with it before it went off in the bottom of the fridge, but it's there if anyone wants any :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Alun wrote: »
    Spotted some fresh turmeric on the veg shelves in my Aldi yesterday, near the garlic. I don't need any, nor am I quite sure what I'd do with it before it went off in the bottom of the fridge, but it's there if anyone wants any :)

I hear it's used a lot in burmese cookery, and that you should wear gloves when preparing it because it'll stain the heck out of everything it touches.

(I bought a bag of it years ago and then totally forgot about it :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Alun wrote: »
    B0jangles wrote: »
    I hear it's used a lot in burmese cookery, and that you should wear gloves when preparing it because it'll stain the heck out of everything it touches.

Yep, they have it in store and yep.. it stains!!! My fingers are bright yellow and nothing will remove it!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ground turmeric is bad enough when something containing it gets onto fingers, I imagine the fresh stuff is much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Alun wrote:
    Ground turmeric is bad enough when something containing it gets onto fingers, I imagine the fresh stuff is much worse.

Not just fingers, it stains EVERYTHING. There's still a yellow splodge on one of my mothers worktops from where I dropped a piece of turmeric on it years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

There mussels in white wine and paprika sauce are "savage served with spaghetti apparently.

(According to my eldest son)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

They now stock coffee beans. Well they had for some time now but it was in a mixed case with ground coffee and the beans where always sold out. Now they come in three varietes: columbian, italian and third one which i dont remember. 1.99 for 200g

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

annie.t wrote: »
    They now stock coffee beans. Well they had for some time now but it was in a mixed case with ground coffee and the beans where always sold out. Now they come in three varietes: columbian, italian and third one which i dont remember. 1.99 for 200g

And they are quite nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Not just fingers, it stains EVERYTHING. There's still a yellow splodge on one of my mothers worktops from where I dropped a piece of turmeric on it years ago.

It's absolutely lethal, stains everything. I do love the flavour though so I use it lots. It's supposed to be great for burns when combined with natural yogurt.

It makes a lovely marinade for chicks. When crushed and mixed with other spices and maybe some yogurt. Grill the chicken after marinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭manualskeleton

I was absent-mindedly looking at the container for their Sweet Potato soup (the most delicious one I think) when I noticed that the saturated fat content for 200g is 60% of the RDA!

Bearing in mind that 200g is half a pot, if you have the whole tub which I was going to do today (fills a bowl), it would have been 120% of recommended saturated fat!

Won't be buying it ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

B0jangles wrote: »

WD-40 will reverse its stainage

• Registered Users Posts: 29,378 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I was absent-mindedly looking at the container for their Sweet Potato soup (the most delicious one I think) when I noticed that the saturated fat content for 200g is 60% of the RDA!

Bearing in mind that 200g is half a pot, if you have the whole tub which I was going to do today (fills a bowl), it would have been 120% of recommended saturated fat!

Won't be buying it ever again.

How is that even possible? Do they make it with equal parts potato and butter or something? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Anyone in Aldi recently and see a big slow cooker for 20 Euro? I think it came in a week ago, I want to get one but havent been in a while.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

How is that even possible? Do they make it with equal parts potato and butter or something? :confused:

Cream?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Anyone in Aldi recently and see a big slow cooker for 20 Euro? I think it came in a week ago, I want to get one but havent been in a while.

I bought one...it's huge.I haven't used it yet and I think it will end up just taking up loads of space but used very seldom if ever.

• Advertisement

Colser wrote: »
    I bought one...it's huge.I haven't used it yet and I think it will end up just taking up loads of space but used very seldom if ever.

Yeah, thinking of getting one for meal prep, so I dont waste time cooking and washing up. When did you get it?

Advertisement