Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Yeah, thinking of getting one for meal prep, so I dont waste time cooking and washing up. When did you get it?

Last Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

How is that even possible? Do they make it with equal parts potato and butter or something? :confused:
    I'll have to take a look myself, those figures sound unlikely to me. Having tasted it, it might have some coconut milk in it so maybe that's adding to the fat content.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Colser wrote: »
    I bought one...it's huge.I haven't used it yet and I think it will end up just taking up loads of space but used very seldom if ever.

We have one from the last time they were on and find it fantastic.

Take a pork steak, a little dry rub and a jar of barbecue marinade. Cook for 7/8 hours and it's the nicest/easiest pulled pork you will ever have!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

I was absent-mindedly looking at the container for their Sweet Potato soup (the most delicious one I think) when I noticed that the saturated fat content for 200g is 60% of the RDA!

Bearing in mind that 200g is half a pot, if you have the whole tub which I was going to do today (fills a bowl), it would have been 120% of recommended saturated fat!

Won't be buying it ever again.

I know this isn't the answer to your question, but that soup is really easy to make.
    Sweet potato, turnip, celery chicken stock and herbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Does anyone know if the five bean salad has been discontinued? It was always hard to get anyway (think max two in the box and five or six of the others) but I haven't seen it in over a month now. The nutty grain and green bean salad are still there but no sign of this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭manualskeleton

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

How is that even possible? Do they make it with equal parts potato and butter or something? :confused:

Coconut milk perhaps? I'm amazed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Monkey Nuts on Special for 99c - Damn you Aldi, they’re delicious!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Coconut milk perhaps? I'm amazed by it.

Nothing amazing about it really, it's just the fluid removed from the coconut and then put in a can.

:p:D

Nothing amazing about it really, it's just the fluid removed from the coconut and then put in a can.

:p:D

The fat content :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just to be clear, the stuff you get when you crack open a fresh coconut is not coconut milk, it's coconut water.

Coconut milk is obtained by grating and squeezing the flesh, and contains up to 25% coconut oil, i.e. fat, most of it saturated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I noticed that the saturated fat content for 200g is 60% of the RDA!

Bearing in mind that 200g is half a pot, if you have the whole tub which I was going to do today (fills a bowl), it would have been 120% of recommended saturated fat!
    What is the RDA they are quoting, or what is the sat fat content.

Coconut oil is indeed really high in sat fats -yet many health fanatics would be eating it by the spoonful for its health benefits, I expect they may be taking in mulitple times the RDA of sat fat.

Back more on topic, I think the coconut oil in lidl has a higher coconut content than lidls. Aldis is not that bad, it is just lidl is really high. Some brands are very low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 SnitchenBubs

Bought one of the convector heaters today, would definitely recommend so far anyway great heat out of it with a thermostat all for €25 and a 3 year warranty.

I'm not a big chocolate/snack fan but I can't believe how good the Choceur Rum Raisin & Nut Bar is. It's got so much rum in it I'm reluctant to share with my kids!!

aldi-choceur-rum-raisin-hazelnut1508414790.jpg

Have just opened one of these. You definitely weren't exaggerating! Rummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

^^^^ twice i have searched my local aldi for this and no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

heldel, just so you know, the Rum and Raisin is not a special buy or anything; it's part of the normal chocolate range.
    Just in case you've been looking in the Special Buys aisle.
    And yep it is amazing.

Yeah knew that but its just never on the shelf. Vast amounts of the white chocolate and the hazelnut but never any rum raisin

heldel00 wrote: »
    Yeah knew that but its just never on the shelf. Vast amounts of the white chocolate and the hazelnut but never any rum raisin

You're not in Dublin by any chance are you?

Can i come round? Are ya willing to share? I can bring blue or green pringles???

Can i come round? Are ya willing to share? I can bring blue or green pringles???

It's a bit freaky that you know I adore Pringles and am actually eating blue Pringles right now :eek:
    If you are in Dublin, I know for a fact Aldi in Nutgrove stock the choc; it's where I do my shopping every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭caviardreams

There's probably been an unexpected run on it due to this thread :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ive never seen it either in Dublin or Bray and I spend way too much time in the chocolate aisle, Ive tried literally everything in that aisle at this stage and its never been there, strange. Im not a big Rum fan anyway, tastes like something that came out of a lawnmower engine.

Blue and Green tubes of Pringles for €1.50 in all Tescos atm though...

I got it in Limerick so definitely available there.

Thargor wrote: »
    Ive never seen it either in Dublin or Bray and I spend way too much time in the chocolate aisle, Ive tried literally everything in that aisle at this stage and its never been there, strange. Im not a big Rum fan anyway, tastes like something that came out of a lawnmower engine.

Blue and Green tubes of Pringles for €1.50 in all Tescos atm though...

:mad::mad: Stop trying to make me fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

fussyonion wrote: »
    :mad::mad: Stop trying to make me fat.

Ooh, that ship has already sunk :D

Is the any chance that the Kharai chicken pizza will be kept on, or was it only a limited time special?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

fussyonion wrote: »
    heldel, just so you know, the Rum and Raisin is not a special buy or anything; it's part of the normal chocolate range.
    Just in case you've been looking in the Special Buys aisle.
    And yep it is amazing.

I really hope that this hasn't replaced the fruit and nut one. Was in Aldi the other day and they had loads of the rum one but none of the milk fruit and nut.
    Aldi, please don't discontinue this!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I really hope that this hasn't replaced the fruit and nut one. Was in Aldi the other day and they had loads of the rum one but none of the milk fruit and nut.
    Aldi, please don't discontinue this!

I just bought the fruit and nut a few days ago in Cork so don't think that has been discontinued.

The fruit and nut one is so good :( In Galway I bought the rum one by mistake with its new packaging. There were no fruit and nut that I could see.

rubadub wrote: »
    What is the RDA they are quoting, or what is the sat fat content.

Coconut oil is indeed really high in sat fats -yet many health fanatics would be eating it by the spoonful for its health benefits, I expect they may be taking in mulitple times the RDA of sat fat.

Back more on topic, I think the coconut oil in lidl has a higher coconut content than lidls. Aldis is not that bad, it is just lidl is really high. Some brands are very low.

The packaging is saying 12g of saturated fat as 60% of RDA. The whole 400ml has 24g.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭54and56

^^^^ twice i have searched my local aldi for this and no joy

It's on the same shelf as the rest of the chocolate, not a special or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Stuck an American Hot frozen pizza in the oven there this evening for the kids who where in and out with their pals, but they ultimately decided they didn't want it due to the jalapenos etc on it.

Their loss / our gain.

One of the nicest shop bought frozen pizzas I've bought in ages.

Advertisement