Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭manualskeleton

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Stuck an American Hot frozen pizza in the oven there this evening for the kids who where in and out with their pals, but they ultimately decided they didn't want it due to the jalapenos etc on it.

Their loss / our gain.

One of the nicest shop bought frozen pizzas I've bought in ages.

I had one yesterday, it was nice. I always add lots more on top of it their pizzas though, fresh peppers, olives, goats cheese...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SUNGSAM

Maybe they have been mentioned before however the specially selected 9 pack of sausages are delicious and for me are on par with the famous Superquinn sausage for flavour. 80% pork too so.less sawdust than the rest! Bangers and Mash with onion gravy, a proper winters dinner...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

The frozen croissants are delicious and an added bonus is that the kitchen smells delicious! Kinda like this home baking malarkey!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I haven't tried that one yet but I love the rich almond one.

I bought the almond one yesterday on your recommendation Dizzyblonde. It's gorgeous. I prefer it to the rum and raisin one which was nice but a bit too strong I think.

This thread is bad for the waistline :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Hey, just in case we didn't already have enough chocolate recommendations, they also have a range of giant chocolate buttons! You have a choice of milk, white and caramel-filled. I've only tried the caramel ones and they are very nice indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

B0jangles wrote: »
    Hey, just in case we didn't already have enough chocolate recommendations, they also have a range of giant chocolate buttons! You have a choice of milk, white and caramel-filled. I've only tried the caramel ones and they are very nice indeed.

The milk choc ones are the nicest, which is strange as id eat caramel with a spoon. Really nice chocolate.

I picked up a fresh ready meal yesterday as i didnt have time to do a dinner for work, a Specially Selected Spaghetti Bolognese, think it was €2.49,€2.99ish and it was really good. The sauce was delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

The chilled, ready to heat chicken en croute with cream cheese and caramelised onions is really good! Decent amount of chicken, crunchy puff pastry, think it's 4 euro for 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I just bought a double bed topper,they also had king-size but does anyone know if they had single ones?I should have asked but totally forgot..

dee_mc wrote: »
    The chilled, ready to heat chicken en croute with cream cheese and caramelised onions is really good! Decent amount of chicken, crunchy puff pastry, think it's 4 euro for 2.

Bought it for tonight. Will report back later. What did you have with it?

Bought it for tonight. Will report back later. What did you have with it?

Tenderstem brocolli, roasted carrots and parsnips and roasted baby potatoes. From a texture point of view, it would be better with boiled potatoes I guess (but I don't eat those!).
    Bon appetit!

• Advertisement

Tenderstem brocolli, roasted carrots and parsnips and roasted baby potatoes. From a texture point of view, it would be better with boiled potatoes I guess (but I don't eat those!).
    Bon appetit!

I've got carrots and parsnips and spuds. Bit unadventurous but will see how it goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The Sticky Toffee pudding in Aldi is delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

I was absent-mindedly looking at the container for their Sweet Potato soup (the most delicious one I think) when I noticed that the saturated fat content for 200g is 60% of the RDA!

Bearing in mind that 200g is half a pot, if you have the whole tub which I was going to do today (fills a bowl), it would have been 120% of recommended saturated fat!

Won't be buying it ever again.

Can't believe the saturated fat content. Probably the coconut cream as someone else mentioned.

oj0306.jpg

Verdict? Very tasty. Will definitely get it again, and it's very filling. Excellent for the price. There's pretty much an entire chicken fillet per pastry. The cat was hanging around the oven the whole time it was cooking!
    I had carrots and parsnips ready to go, but then my partner was back in Aldi (I know, we should move in!) and brought home some chilled veg that went in the microwave. Mix of leeks, peas and bacon. Quite nice too. I think he said it was €1.79. Serves two generously.

Re: what you were saying about not eating boiled spuds. I can't eat them either unless they're proper floury spuds, which Aldi don't seem to do unfortunately (not my local store anyway) There's nothing worse than a horrible watery spud.
    Currently buying Ardfert Queens in Tesco. Lovely with a big dollop of butter and some salt. That's proper butter by the way, let there be none of this 'spread' malarkey now ;)

Re: what you were saying about not eating boiled spuds. I can't eat them either unless they're proper floury spuds, which Aldi don't seem to do unfortunately (not my local store anyway) There's nothing worse than a horrible watery spud. Currently buying Ardfert Queens in Tesco. Lovely with a big dollop of butter and some salt. That's proper butter by the way, let there be none of this 'spread' malarkey now

Glad you enjoyed them! I was impressed by the pastry.
    My potato issue is a bit of a weird one, I really dislike the texture of mashed or boiled potatoes and really only eat spuds if they're crispy, so small roasties or hasselbacks (Hasselhoffs in this house) are ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,102 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

For those like myself who like floury potatoes, Kerrs Pinks and Queens are good. But Golden Wonders are the best. I get them in the local greengrocers and I have seen them in Dunnes, but always later in the year. Probably won't be in Aldi.

https://www.potato.ie/varieties/golden-wonder/

I always steam my potatoes but even then care is needed to stop the floury ones breaking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah I cant eat any boiled veg anymore, seems like the worst thing you can do with it for taste and texture, it destroys a lot of nutrients aswell.

The bog standard Argos value steamer is an essential kitchen gadget imo, it does every kind of veg along with rice and boils eggs aswell. Steam is the most nutritious way to do veg and the nicest taste aswell. Aldi sell good ones sometimes:

argos-value-range-3-bowl-steamer.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

For those like myself who like floury potatoes, Kerrs Pinks and Queens are good. But Golden Wonders are the best. I get them in the local greengrocers and I have seen them in Dunnes, but always later in the year. Probably won't be in Aldi.

https://www.potato.ie/varieties/golden-wonder/

I always steam my potatoes but even then care is needed to stop the floury ones breaking up.

Aldi in Waterford sell 2.5kg bags of washed golden wonders :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭54and56

sdp wrote: »
    Aldi in Waterford sell 2.5kg bags of washed golden wonders :)

And if you whack them in an Instant Pot to steam for 8 or 9 minutes under high pressure you'll end up with perfectly cooked floury spuds every time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

bramwells hot dog pickle relish. tastes pretty much like big mac sauce :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

bramwells hot dog pickle relish. tastes pretty much like big mac sauce :cool:

I just spoon it out of the jar... #NoShame

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

One thing I would not recommend is the ready made Wild Mushroom soup in a tub. Bland and tasteless, unlike the Tomato and Basil one which I think is lovely.

Got some mini wraps that are either new or I at least, haven't seen before. Only thing is, unlike the usual large wraps the, the b/b date is only 10 days or so not a few months like the large ones, don't get caught out like I nearly did.

Was a good excuse to have some rasher wraps though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

Kat1170 wrote: »
    One thing I would not recommend is the ready made Wild Mushroom soup in a tub. Bland and tasteless, unlike the Tomato and Basil one which I think is lovely.

Got some mini wraps that are either new or I at least, haven't seen before. Only thing is, unlike the usual large wraps the, the b/b date is only 10 days or so not a few months like the large ones, don't get caught out like I nearly did.

Was a good excuse to have some rasher wraps though :D

Tried that soup too it was terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I find the mushroom soup is OK if you add a bit of seasoning, i.e. salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

That chicken Karachi pizza is gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

They had a lovely carrot and parsnip soup with honey but I think they discountinued it.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

Tried the Belgian chocolate puddings I saw in Aldi the last few weeks, def worth trying, very nice.

Tried the Belgian chocolate puddings I saw in Aldi the last few weeks, def worth trying, very nice.

The twin pack? They're gorgeous. Definitely the closest I've found to homemade. I tried the sticky toffee pudding at the weekend and was a bit disappointed. It looked like it had lots of sauce on it but it was actually quite dry. I wouldn't bother with it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

I tried the sticky toffee pudding at the weekend and was a bit disappointed. It looked like it had lots of sauce on it but it was actually quite dry. I wouldn't bother with it again.

Will give that a miss then! Sticky toffee pudding always is a bit of a dice roll. I got a packet of the salted caramel pudding variety this week - not tried it yet, and they don't look as good as the chocolate ones, but giving them a go.

• Advertisement

Will give that a miss then! Sticky toffee pudding always is a bit of a dice roll. I got a packet of the salted caramel pudding variety this week - not tried it yet, and they don't look as good as the chocolate ones, but giving them a go.

They're nice too. I thought they actually had a vague sticky toffee pudding taste about them, but the chocolate ones are far and away the nicest :)

Advertisement