Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Got the Irish crispy duck with the pancakes and hoisin sauce again. Had them with spring onion and cucumber. Absolutely delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Tried the frozen Xmas range sausage wrapped in bacon...hope they were gone off because they were absolutely vile, straight in the bin :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Tried the new repackaged Moser Roth (Lindt-esque) 85% bar, and have to say I prefer the old one with the 5 mini 25g bars - they still had some of the older stock left, should have got that instead :( It's still ok, so maybe it will grow on me but I don't know why they changed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Tried the new repackaged Moser Roth (Lindt-esque) 85% bar, and have to say I prefer the old one with the 5 mini 25g bars - they still had some of the older stock left, should have got that instead :( It's still ok, so maybe it will grow on me but I don't know why they changed it!

Oh no! Does the change in packaging refer to the dominican republic/peruvian dark choc bars by any chance....? I love the fact that they're 5 individual bars...........really hope these haven't changed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It does look like the Choceur fruit and nut is gone to be replaced by the rum raisin nut.
    Damn you Aldi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Rum raisin and nuts is a completely different product to Fruit and Nut!

Cadburys Fruit and Nut is about the only one of their range where the quality hasnt slipped since Molenz took over and its usually cheap in Tesco and Dealz.

Oh no! Does the change in packaging refer to the dominican republic/peruvian dark choc bars by any chance....? I love the fact that they're 5 individual bars...........really hope these haven't changed :o

Tbh they still have some of the older/existing bars left so it is hard to tell, but they do have new 100g 70%, chilli, salted caramel "lindt" packaging bars too so maybe it might be replacing some of the others. I was hoping they might keep both but there is a label on it saying "new recipe new format" which leads me to believe it is a replacement for the old format, rather than an additional product :(

The small bars were a much better format, and certainly nicer imo in the old recipe too for the 85% one anyway.

Price drop to €1.19 for the 100g bar is really an increase as it used to be €1.29 I think for the 125g?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

These ciders are tasty, not too strong and light enough to drink.

Strawberry-and-Lime-Swedish-Cider.jpg?o=qph24EdWDL8jJusoLfliJ9xakYsj&V=7Pc1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They've changed the Moser Roth dark chocolate with sea salt from a pack of five mini bars to one large bar :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

They've changed the Moser Roth dark chocolate with sea salt from a pack of five mini bars to one large bar :mad:

I think the new formula\format chilli & sea salt are nicer but the white vanilla and caramel ones are not as good as the older five pack ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

nc6000 wrote: »
    I think the new formula\format chilli & sea salt are nicer but the white vanilla and caramel ones are not as good as the older five pack ones.

Are they not doing the mini's anymore, I am talking about the Moser Roth, it looks like a large bar but when you open they are in mini wrapped sections

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

These ciders are tasty, not too strong and light enough to drink.

Strawberry-and-Lime-Swedish-Cider.jpg?o=qph24EdWDL8jJusoLfliJ9xakYsj&V=7Pc1
    Love the ginger and lemon in that brand. Very refreshing on a hot day, with a good ginger kick.

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Are they not doing the mini's anymore, I am talking about the Moser Roth, it looks like a large bar but when you open they are in mini wrapped sections

Looks like it, I have a few posts above about this. Some of the older stock is still available though so you may get lucky if you want to stock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Looks like it, I have a few posts above about this. Some of the older stock is still available though so you may get lucky if you want to stock up.

Unfortunately, stocking up with chocolate never really works out the way you plan it :o:o:D

Zelda247 wrote: »

I was talking about the minis also. Aldi appear to have changed the format from mini bars to a single large bar and it also says the recipe has changed.

Some stores seem to have stock of both the old and new.

51gBg6IO8eL._SX355_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,740 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This Moser Roth story has me spooked so I just stocked up on the Peruvian 62% individually wrapped bars... their USP to me is that they are individual bars. I don't know why ALDI would switch to the large bars.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    This Moser Roth story has me spooked so I just stocked up on the Peruvian 62% individually wrapped bars... their USP to me is that they are individual bars. I don't know why ALDI would switch to the large bars.

Cost savings I am sure.

Cost savings I am sure.

They've gone from 5 x 25g to a single 100g bar.

nc6000 wrote: »
    They've gone from 5 x 25g to a single 100g bar.

Yes but it's a new recipe too, so in theory they could argue they are using more expensive cocoa or whatever, and alongside the slight (though not commensurate) price reduction, it could technically be cost or profit neutral, but the cynic in me thinks otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

kylith wrote: »
    Love the ginger and lemon in that brand. Very refreshing on a hot day, with a good ginger kick.

Oh I didn't spot those ones, will have a look next time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Oh I didn't spot those ones, will have a look next time :)

They don't always have them, but if you find them let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,740 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Has anyone tried the Wild Argentinean Prawns?
    https://www.aldi.ie/wild-argentinian-prawns/p/078390188868400

Anyone know if they are they raw or pre-cooked? Usually the description says so but vague for this product.
    Their red colour suggests cooked but maybe Argentinean prawns are naturally red...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Wild Argentinean Prawns?
    https://www.aldi.ie/wild-argentinian-prawns/p/078390188868400

Anyone know if they are they raw or pre-cooked? Usually the description says so but vague for this product.
    Their red colour suggests cooked but maybe Argentinean prawns are naturally red...

I was curious about that too and did a bit of googling -looks like they are naturally pink, even when raw, but I thought the aldi ones were a much darker, stronger pink than the ones in this link, which are definitely raw:

http://www.kingcrab.co.uk/acatalog/Argentinian-Wild-Raw-Pink-Prawns-x-1kg-229.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The Low GI multiseed loaf for 99c is really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I was in Aldi, Childers Rd earlier today. They definitely have the 5 individual bars if anyone is looking to stock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Rfrip

The salmon and spinach fish cakes are lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Rfrip wrote: »

Yep they really are.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Rfrip wrote: »

Agreed. I find all their fishcakes are good; cod and potato, salmon and chilli and I think there's one more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Their hash browns seem to have disappeared from the freezers which is a shame as I enjoyed one now and again on a weekend breakfast treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Their hash browns seem to have disappeared from the freezers which is a shame as I enjoyed one now and again on a weekend breakfast treat.

The ones in my local changed slightly, though packaging looks the same - sharper edges on the new ones.
    Just as nice, but strangely (as they're much the same size) take 1 minute longer in the Airfryer..

Advertisement