Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lougarden

€5 candles that are similar and being sold for the likes of 45-50

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Tut tut Aldi, that wonderful cheddar and chive cheese has gone off my shopping list, it used to be €1.39, went missing from their shops for about the last month, back in stock now at €1.69, 30c dearer :eek:

Exact same cheese in Tesco is €1.43

ALDI, we’re watching ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Speaking of cheese...... the last few packets of the Specially Selected Vintage Cheddar that I've had have been very disappointing. They've been waxy and not very crumbly or salty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Bought the Pomegranate candle yesterday. V disappointing; couldn't get a smell from it at all.
    Back to Yankees so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Went in today to buy the makings of a stew (as mentioned on the super six thread here) but could not find any leeks or celery :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Only recently started going to Aldi....was reading through this very helpful thread.

The Kooliburra Shiraz (€6.29) is very nice.

Ballymore brown soda bread (75c) is top class.

Salmon sensation (€2.49) is every bit as good as the William Carr branded stuff from the Dunnes/Tesco and costs about a €1 less.

Toro Loco red wine (€6.49) not even sure what grape it is (maybe its some kind of mixture?) is not great though, very very dry 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm visiting a friend who drinks rose wine. Any Aldi recommendations for it? I wouldn't have a clue!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Whispered wrote: »
    I'm visiting a friend who drinks rose wine. Any Aldi recommendations for it? I wouldn't have a clue!

There's a sparkling rose it's lovely but I can't remember the name I think it's €7 or €8.

I did find this article about Rose wine.

https://www.thesun.ie/money/1010900/aldi-e8-99-rose-wine-ranked-one-of-the-best-in-the-world-after-beating-other-bottles-three-times-the-price/

https://cdn.aldi-digital.co.uk/Pinot-Grigio-Frizzante-Ros%C3%A9-A.jpg?o=wby7OKwGTf2UiofXmqSO%40TXiayYj&V=wbnW

The bottom link is the wine I had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

fussyonion wrote: »
    Bought the Pomegranate candle yesterday. V disappointing; couldn't get a smell from it at all.
    Back to Yankees so.

I didn't find the pomegranate one very strong either. I think the lime is better. Are you anywhere near homestore & more? The Tuscany candles there are a copy of the Yankee ones, but for a tenner. I find them very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Back to Yankees so.

I didn't find the pomegranate one very strong either. I think the lime is better. Are you anywhere near homestore & more? The Tuscany candles there are a copy of the Yankee ones, but for a tenner. I find them very good.

I was looking for the Lime Basil & Mandarin one but they had none.
    Yep there's a Homestore five minutes away; I'll definitely check that candle out. Thanks a mill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Went in today to buy the makings of a stew (as mentioned on the super six thread here) but could not find any leeks or celery :(
    I was in there the other day, and there were no carrots!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Back to Yankees so.

Same,can’t understand thr who ha over them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Alun wrote: »
    I was in there the other day, and there were no carrots!

Now that's bad! They had loads in today but as I grow them as part of my job I dug up some organic hand reared examples instead :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yeah, I do tend to shop more in Lidl than Aldi, but there is times when they run out of basics, or the queue is long.

I guess this is the price the customer takes in a discount store.

Lidl have celery at 49c at moment

vicwatson wrote: »
    Tut tut Aldi, that wonderful cheddar and chive cheese has gone off my shopping list, it used to be €1.39, went missing from their shops for about the last month, back in stock now at €1.69, 30c dearer :eek:

Exact same cheese in Tesco is €1.43

ALDI, we’re watching ;)

This cheese is only €1.39 in Lidl - exact same

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Happened to me a few times: What?? no <insert product> at all?
    Only to find them in the super 6 set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I got the No.2 blackberry & bay candle and I really like it. Well worth the €5.

The Specially Selected tenderstem broccoli is really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

The Specially Selected tenderstem broccoli is really nice.
    It is, but going out of season on the continent, so the quality will gradually deteriorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Memento Dark Chocolate Butter Biscuits - these are delicious!!
    And a decent covering of chocolate, really nice.
    Couldn't believe only .89. Stocking up the next time I'm back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Whispered wrote: »

Exquisite collection cotes de Provence is very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Aldi Panettone 4.99 euro, but the same one is 2.25 gbp in UK? 100% more expensive? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SUNGSAM

If you like your hummus please try the Specially Selected Trio of different flavoured hummus, beetroot, tomato and green pesto were the three flavours as far as i can recall. Really good with fresh crusty bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

It is, but going out of season on the continent, so the quality will gradually deteriorate.

Still plenty of time, there is Irish still in Lidl and can't remember where was Aldi's one from last week, but UK does supply them during the winter.

Had Lemon&Pepper Duck Breast Fillets and they were excellent, €5.49 or €5.99 per pack of 2. Put some small salad potatoes to roast in the fat while cooking them and you can't go wrong:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sometimes the stems are really, really tough, making it anything other than "tender"stem broccoli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Has Aldi stopped doing the salad bags they were doing a while ago? I haven't seen them in a few weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The leeks & celery were in the Super 6 in Swords this weekend, only 49c each (3 leeks in the pack). Maybe your branch had run out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

Speaking of cheese...... the last few packets of the Specially Selected Vintage Cheddar that I've had have been very disappointing. They've been waxy and not very crumbly or salty.

The vintage cheddar has been waxy lately for me too. I live off the stuff.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

karenalot wrote: »

Packet bought this week is better than it has been but still not at original levels.
    When I shopped in Dunnes I used to find when they introduced a new product in their own fancy range it would initially be very delicious and amazing but after a few months it would just change entirely. They used to do a fudge yogurt that was amazing. Then, without warning it started to taste different and the real fudge pieces were replaced by waxy chewy things. Had to stop buying them.
    I wonder if it's a trick of the trade? Introduce a new product, get people hooked and then change the recipe completely changing the quality but people keep buying in the hopes it's just a bad batch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

karenalot wrote: »

I was just thinking that it seems a lot blander and more rubbery than it used to be. Used to be lovely and crumbly :(

Advertisement