Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

SB_Part2 wrote:
    Has Aldi stopped doing the salad bags they were doing a while ago? I haven't seen them in a few weeks.

Used to get these quite a bit but haven't seen them in a month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭jakeypooh

Have they stopped doing the kids circular cheese strings?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭LJ3103

B0jangles wrote: »
    I was just thinking that it seems a lot blander and more rubbery than it used to be. Used to be lovely and crumbly :(

I have been buying this cheese for the last couple of years and unfortunately this happens from time to time with it

Its a completely different product they are trying to pass off, It must be down to supplier issues and demand.

They good news is that it always seems to have rectified itself after a few weeks. I have learned to feel the difference textures through the package and refuse to buy it when I feel that it is rubbery

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

B0jangles wrote: »
    I was just thinking that it seems a lot blander and more rubbery than it used to be. Used to be lovely and crumbly :(

The Lidl vintage cheddar is consistently good and crumbly. Not Irish, though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

LJ3103 wrote: »
    I have been buying this cheese for the last couple of years and unfortunately this happens from time to time with it

Its a completely different product they are trying to pass off, It must be down to supplier issues and demand.

They good news is that it always seems to have rectified itself after a few weeks. I have learned to feel the difference textures through the package and refuse to buy it when I feel that it is rubbery

I did notice the packaging was ever so slightly different the last few weeks too. Same design and all but looked like the ink was starting to run out on the printer, if you know what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Alun wrote: »
    Sometimes the stems are really, really tough, making it anything other than "tender"stem broccoli.

I cook the stems first and add the flowers only near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I cook the stems first and add the flowers only near the end.

Does cutting then up not kind of defeat the purpose? Just cook them standing up the way you would asparagus, that way the tops don't cook as fast as the stems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Bought a speciality pizza yesterday in a long rectangle black box. In the chilled fridges. It had a curry base and chicken and spinach on sourdough. It was gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Bought a speciality pizza yesterday in a long rectangle black box. In the chilled fridges. It had a curry base and chicken and spinach on sourdough. It was gorgeous

That's the chicken karahi pizza and has been discussed at length here. I remain the sole outlier who was distinctly underwhelmed by it. Found it far too sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I had the Karahi pizza at the weekend and loved it. I'm a fan of sweet, however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Dial Hard wrote: »
    That's the chicken karahi pizza and has been discussed at length here. I remain the sole outlier who was distinctly underwhelmed by it. Found it far too sweet.

I thought i was the only one....I much prefer the Italian meaty one from the same range.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

karenalot wrote: »
    The vintage cheddar has been waxy lately for me too. I live off the stuff.
    I stopped buying it a while ago for that reason plus flavour wasn't what it was. Other posters are saying it varies over time so I might try it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What are you supposed to do with that pork steak? It looks like a vacuum packed spinal cord or something but its cheap, are they nice?

https://www.aldi.ie/irish-pork-steak/p/072694086220900

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Thargor wrote: »
    What are you supposed to do with that pork steak? It looks like a vacuum packed spinal cord or something but its cheap, are they nice?

I normally slice them down the middle & stuff them before tying back up again. Biggest thing with them is DO NOT OVERCOOK :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

LOVE ALDI. And LIDL. The only thing we don't buy there is coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I made this the other night ...

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1088656/paprika-pork

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Spinal cord :D. Well, not far from it in a way, it's the loin. Very tender meat, you can e.g. quick fry it sliced in medallions on high heat or rub some seasoning, brown the whole piece, wrap up in aluminium foil and continue cooking in the oven. Very practical meat that cooks as quick as chicken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Cut in 2. Slice a pocket lengthways in each and insert stuffing. Wrap bacon rashers around them and tie with string. Brown for a couple of mins in a frying pan. Wrap in foil and cook in oven. Not sure of how long but probably 30-40 mins. You can use the juices to make the gravy. Roasties go great with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I have a recipe that uses pork steak, spring onions, celery and chestnut mushrooms.
    In short, you chop it all up and cook much as a stir fry and then add creme fraiche , wholegrain mustard and salt and black pepper. Serve with egg noodles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Funny just had pork loin this eve. I just seasoned it well , browned in the pan , tinfoil and into the oven. Very good value ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I had to resort to buying the Specially Selected sourdough yesterday, which used to be quite nice for a sliced pan. It was awful, like eating cardboard. Don't know what they did to it, but it doesn't taste the way it used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Space Dog wrote: »
    I had to resort to buying the Specially Selected sourdough yesterday, which used to be quite nice for a sliced pan. It was awful, like eating cardboard. Don't know what they did to it, but it doesn't taste the way it used to.

I picked it up, squeezed it to check the feel of it and put it back down, something wasn't quite right about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Get your hands on a sachet of this:

conimex-sauzen-marinades-sate-marinademix.png

Buy pork steak
    Cut in slichtly bigger than bite size pieces
    Marinade them for 30 mins in above marinade mix.
    Stick those pieces of meat on skewers
    On the grill pan.
    Make your own satay sauce (recipe i left a few pages back)
    Eat with either a fresh baguette or fries.
    Typical Dutch pub food.
    Well, if you go to the right pubs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

This is a nice simple way of cooking pork steak:

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
    Heat a large frying pan with 25g butter and a little oil.
    Trim any excess fat and sinew off the pork steak and season with some salt and pepper and the dried mixed herbs, quickly seal the pork all over.
    Transfer the pork to a large casserole dish or baking tray.
    Next pour 75ml chicken stock onto the frying pan and allow this to bubble up.
    Pour this over the pork and pop it into the oven for 40-45 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Space Dog wrote: »

It's veeery dry - definitely not the same as normal. Normally I like it toasted but I'd say it would crumble to bits now if you toasted it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Remove the fatty white bits from the pork steak and cut in half. Put some olive oil, chopped garlic and rosemary in a bowl and rub the pork steak in the olive oil mixture until completely covered. Brown the pork steak in a pan and then place in the oven until cooked to your liking.

Meanwhile fry/grill some sliced black pudding and make a little stewed apple with a chopped cooking apple, lemon juice and sugar and cooked in a pot over a low heat until soft and mushy.

Slice the pork steak into medallions and serve with sliced black pudding placed on top, both on a 'bed' of a smear of stewed apple with potatoes/veg of choice. Mashed potato with tender stem broccoli is nice accompaniment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Has anybody seen the Venison Steaks yet? I thought they were already in store around this time last year. Hope they haven't discontinued them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The last two years, Aldi have been out of raisins for December. I’ve stocked up early in anticipation of a third. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

The last two years, Aldi have been out of raisins for December. I’ve stocked up early in anticipation of a third. :rolleyes:

You really are raisin your game this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

I'd to make 3 Christmas Cakes this year so I priced the dried fruit in Aldi, Lidl and Tesco.
    You might be interested to know that Tesco came in cheapest @ .89 for their raisins in the everyday range. They were sold of Sultanas the evening I went and wasn't gong back to Aldi. The next price bracket was 1.29.

Unfortunately I've thrown out my Shopping List now, but out of interest, how much did Aldi charge you.

Advertisement