Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NY Bar

Options
  • 20-06-2015 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

Planning on taking the NY Bar in February, haven't done the FE1's yet, but meet the eligibility requirements and would just like to use it as a qualification in future. I've heard foreign applicants have great difficulty with the format of the exam seeing as it is from such a different perspective than Irish students are used to. I'm wondering what way is the best approach to the exam, ie by programme like the one run by Barbri similar organisations, or doing it independently why buying the books on eBay. Any other suggestions in addition to the above ones are obviously welcome!

Also, are there any tips on how to manage starting off with studying the materials? Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭notabasicb

Are you absolutely sure you want to sit the exam? Irish students have next to no chance of getting a job in NY with the qualification without an American university law education. Just a fact. It's a really tough exam but unless you have a next to guaranteed job ready to go I wouldn't waste the time or money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

They are changing the NY bar exam for July afaik. They are switching to the uniform bar exam. Might be worth your while holding off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

NY Bar is a waste of time, effort and money imo.

Adds nothing to your qualification

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Billetdoux

Hold off until they change it to the uniform bar exam I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JTER

notabasicb wrote: »
    Are you absolutely sure you want to sit the exam? Irish students have next to no chance of getting a job in NY with the qualification without an American university law education. Just a fact. It's a really tough exam but unless you have a next to guaranteed job ready to go I wouldn't waste the time or money.

Not true , it is by no means easy but with the right attitude and plenty of networking there are opportunities over here.

It is true for the larger firms here in NY that will require a J.D. You can still make a very respectable wage in the smaller firms and gain trial experience quickly enough too.

As for the advice you were looking for I would spend about 70% of your time just doing and re-doing the MBE questions. Mastering the MBE is the key to passing it. If you get over 150/200 in the MBE you can technically fail on all the essays by a small amount.

I don't know anything about the new exam that is coming up but Barbri could give you that information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 saddlecat

Hi,

My two cents on the NY Bar.
    I finished my law degree here in Ireland a couple of years ago. The thought of going to Dublin to do FE-1's or Kings Inn just bored me completely. And the expense ... plus everyone was so down in the dumps about the economy anyway. I did a few short placements, organised through my university while studying for the New York bar. It's a tough exam, take it seriously, but as one of the previous guys said, concentrate on the MBE as it is the key.

Since passing the exam, I moved to London where a recruitment agency got me work as a Contract Lawyer/Document Reviewer on a few projects. This was perfect as it allowed me to work for short periods of time, sometimes 2 months +, sometimes less, earning relatively good money - which in turn allowed me to study for the QLTS, to get qualified as a solicitor for England and Wales. Obviously without the NY bar, I would not have been eligible for this.

Since qualifying in England, I have just started up as an NQ Associate with a US firm, where I'm due to return back to New York after Xmas to work in their NY office for a year. After working in NY for one year, I would then be eligible to qualify back in Ireland but I don't really think it's something I would consider doing.

This route is not for everyone but I'v enjoyed it. The NY bar gave me an international qualification, allowing me to make decent money while furthering my studies and I've had some good craic along the way. Still have classmates back in Blackhall tearing the hair out. Whatever you choose to do, it'll work out. Just try to have fun too!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

saddlecat wrote: »
    Hi,

My two cents on the NY Bar.
    I finished my law degree here in Ireland a couple of years ago. The thought of going to Dublin to do FE-1's or Kings Inn just bored me completely. And the expense ... plus everyone was so down in the dumps about the economy anyway. I did a few short placements, organised through my university while studying for the New York bar. It's a tough exam, take it seriously, but as one of the previous guys said, concentrate on the MBE as it is the key.

Since passing the exam, I moved to London where a recruitment agency got me work as a Contract Lawyer/Document Reviewer on a few projects. This was perfect as it allowed me to work for short periods of time, sometimes 2 months +, sometimes less, earning relatively good money - which in turn allowed me to study for the QLTS, to get qualified as a solicitor for England and Wales. Obviously without the NY bar, I would not have been eligible for this.

Since qualifying in England, I have just started up as an NQ Associate with a US firm, where I'm due to return back to New York after Xmas to work in their NY office for a year. After working in NY for one year, I would then be eligible to qualify back in Ireland but I don't really think it's something I would consider doing.

This route is not for everyone but I'v enjoyed it. The NY bar gave me an international qualification, allowing me to make decent money while furthering my studies and I've had some good craic along the way. Still have classmates back in Blackhall tearing the hair out. Whatever you choose to do, it'll work out. Just try to have fun too!
    Congrats and welcome to Boards. Always nice to have a good new poster!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭KoukiKeith

OP,

I would think long and hard about your career expectations after qualifying. Saddlecat's post is extremely useful and illustrates how it certainly can work, however, if you're set on practicing as an Attorney in NY with a larger firm, I'm not sure how useful it will be. It's an extremely competitive environment as is, without adding a JD deficiency.

Nevertheless, to add another dimension to Saddlecat's post, the qualification is also quite useful in an in-house legal environment. I work for a US multinational (based in the UK, FYI) and we have several 'foreign educated US attorneys' within our ranks.

I intended to sit the exam last July but it didn't happen for one reason or another. If you are serious about it, I would suggest getting as much help as possible and taking one of the courses specifically geared towards foreign applicants. Whilst the content itself isn't overly difficult, it's a different format and takes a lot discipline/dedication (like any legal qualification, I suppose).

Best of luck if you do decide to go that route :)

Advertisement