Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yeats College Galway, facial piercings?

Options
  • 20-06-2015 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, was wondering if Yeats have a rule against facial piercings?? I want to get a nose piercing done this summer, but I'm going to Yeats in September.. Any help would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Seoighe_3 wrote: »
    Hi, was wondering if Yeats have a rule against facial piercings?? I want to get a nose piercing done this summer, but I'm going to Yeats in September.. Any help would be great!

I don't know their policy on that topic. How important is it to you, compared to your studies?

I do know parents who sent their daughter there some years ago for repeat LC.The Principal seemed dedicated to the project. He used to visit the pubs and "advise" any of his students there to go back to their digs and study .

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ask them yourself? www.yeatscollege.ie/about/contact-us
    Worst case scenario you have to remove piercing when you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

nuac wrote: »
    I don't know their policy on that topic. How important is it to you, compared to your studies?

I do know parents who sent their daughter there some years ago for repeat LC.The Principal seemed dedicated to the project. He used to visit the pubs and "advise" any of his students there to go back to their digs and study .

Lol! Going on the lash and missing lectures is a different thing to a body mod, and the latter shouldn't negatively impact studies in the same way.
    I'd ask them OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SameHorse

I was a yeats student. I had a facial piercing. Was ordered to remove it or be kicked out. Terry was a real arse about it.

Unless policies have changed of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    Lol! Going on the lash and missing lectures is a different thing to a body mod, and the latter shouldn't negatively impact studies in the same way.

School rules are usually about the staff achieving control, so that they are perceived as having authority and obeyed when they give instructions on things that are related to studies, rather than a direct link to impact on study.

It's also safer for society if the kids can rebel by doing relatively harmless things (with facial piercings, the worst risk is that sepsis / toxic-shock syndrome for the individual concerned, or that the facial scarring limits job options in later life), rather than things which endanger other people.

OP ask them. Good luck with your studies.

• Advertisement

School rules are usually about the staff achieving control, so that they are perceived as having authority and obeyed when they give instructions on things that are related to studies, rather than a direct link to impact on study.

Yeah, I'd hoped they'd just evolved slightly since I was in School. :)
    I know workplace rules on tattoos and piercings have become way more lenient over the last 20 years (in many fields). It wasn't long ago that you could walk the length of town and not see a single tattoo or piercing (bar on a biker or a hippie), nowadays they're way more common/socially acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I agree that tattoos and piercings are more common but you won't see any professionals with visible tattoos or piercings- eg healthcare, lawyers etc.

but you won't see any professionals with visible tattoos or piercings- eg healthcare, lawyers etc.

and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I agree that tattoos and piercings are more common but you won't see any professionals with visible tattoos or piercings- eg healthcare, lawyers etc.

Actually you'd see more than the one or two.
    and rightly so.

Pourquoi?

P_1 wrote: »
    Pourquoi?

Looks very unprofessional (in any role I might add) to have visible tattoos or piercings other than earrings (on a woman, none at all on a man)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Are ye not gone a bit off topic there lads? Surprised the mods haven't waded in yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Asmodean wrote: »
    Are ye not gone a bit off topic there lads? Surprised the mods haven't waded in yet.

I thought that was the topic ? ? .:confused:

Rings in noses are absolutely repulsive and should only be worn by bulls. And anyone who believes that you're not putting yourself at a serious disadvantage in the work market by having body piercings or tattoos is completely deluded.

Long Gone wrote: »

Rings in noses are repulsive and should only be worn by bulls. And anyone who believes that you're not putting yourself at a serious disadvantage in the work marked by having body piercings or tattoos is completely deluded.

Personal tastes I guess. It is a shame that that still is the case in Ireland but for a fair minority, it is.

If you have the talent and skills to do the job, your appearance should not matter. Tattoos and piercings are rather less stigmatised these days, hopefully soon the stigma shall go away.

Nope. Topic was someone asking if Yeats allow facial piercings, not 'let's have a go at anyone who has tattoos or piercings.'

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yeah, I'd hoped they'd just evolved slightly since I was in School. :)
    I know workplace rules on tattoos and piercings have become way more lenient over the last 20 years (in many fields). It wasn't long ago that you could walk the length of town and not see a single tattoo or piercing (bar on a biker or a hippie), nowadays they're way more common/socially acceptable.

We still get people complaining over in Work & Jobs that they didn't get hired just because of a piercing, or whatever.

Obviously not everyone's attitudes have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

My understanding of Yeats is that it is for people who want to get high points to go to university (and maybe into a traditional profession) If you want to go into a profession it's not a good idea (IMO) to have lots of piercings. A small nose piercing that will heal up is probably not a big deal but excessive piercings could limit you in the future. Its a shame people are still judged on their appearance but it's the world we live in.

Nope. Topic was someone asking if Yeats allow facial piercings, not 'let's have a go at anyone who has tattoos or piercings.'

LOL :D - This would be some "Discussion Forum" if the moderators were crazy enough to define going off topic as narrowly as going any further than answering a specific question asked in the OP ! .:rolleyes:

Neither have I seen anyone "having a go" at anybody in the thread....

I dunno, I've seen them fly off the handle over much smaller things than this! Boards mod logic though, I'll never understand it.
    Rings in noses are absolutely repulsive

Seems a bit harsh to me to be fair. I completely understand anyone saying they wouldn't be a fan of piercings but to say its absolutely repulsive is a bit strong no?

Seems a bit harsh to me to be fair. I completely understand anyone saying they wouldn't be a fan of piercings but to say its absolutely repulsive is a bit strong no?

I'm just expressing my own personal opinion - I thought that was the point of a discussion forum ? Personally I do find nose piercings (particularly those where a ring is inserted through the septum) absolutely repulsive. I know that I am far from alone in my views. I was checking out of a hotel recently and the (otherwise very pleasant) girl who checked me out had a large one (ring through the septum that is :)) - I literally found it repulsive to look at, and to me it gave a very bad and unprofessional impression both of her and of the hotel.

As regards the job market, I'm speaking from personal knowledge. I have a managerial position and hire people myself (as do some of my colleagues). I can assure you that someone turning up for an interview with piercings where I work would be a sure fire way for the interview to be concluded as quickly as possible without causing offense to the job applicant - and for their CVs to then be immediately consigned to the shredder.....

As regards the job market, I'm speaking from personal knowledge. I have a managerial position and hire people myself (as do some of my colleagues). I can assure you that someone turning up for an interview with piercings where I work would be a sure fire way for the interview to be concluded as quickly as possible without causing offense to the job applicant - and for their CVs to then be immediately consigned to the shredder.....

Just curious (not having a go but as someone who is pierced and tattooed) why would that be the case? My CV would surely be enough to get my foot in the door, would that really be all it would take for you not to give me the time of day at an interview?

• Advertisement

It's a shame you're so narrow minded as to look at something as trivial as a nose ring and allow it to taint your entire experience of a hotel. If the girl at reception was unprofessional or something to that effect that's completely fair but you should never judge someone by their appearance alone. It's an awful old fashioned way of thinking but I know at the end of the day it's no use even discussing it with people because it's a waste of time and energy.

P_1 wrote: »
    Just curious (not having a go but as someone who is pierced and tattooed) why would that be the case? My CV would surely be enough to get my foot in the door, would that really be all it would take for you not to give me the time of day at an interview?

I'm not having a go at anyone either, and I admire your confidence that your CV would get your foot in the door where I work :), but you need to think about something called "career realism" before you have either piercings or tattoos. Firms have every right to decide who represents them. An organisation that wishes to project a smart, professional image, or whose clients would likely be put off by them, is entitled to ban or limit body modifications. Basically for many professional and other roles workers can choose whether they prefer having piercings and/or tattoos or a job. For an employer, if they employ people with body piercings and/or tattoos in a customer-facing role, it could have an impact on reputation and doesn't portray a good corporate image. That is the reality, and before anyone suggests that the employer's right to choose who he employs should be restricted by law, that would not only be unfair and impractical but (perhaps more importantly) unenforceable. Around the the world the law overwhelmingly does not protect tattooed or body pierced employees.In Japan, where tattoos and piercings are widely associated with organised crime, bans are almost universal. A US federal appeals court ruled in 2006 that ordering public employees to cover up their tattoos did not violate their First Amendment rights. The Metropolitan Police in London do not allow body piercings or visible tattoos on their members. The list continues. Body piercings and tattoos are seriously bad news for your career prospects in many areas - The only possible exception being if you're applying for a job in body piercing or as a tattoo artist !:)

I'm just expressing my own personal opinion - I thought that was the point of a discussion forum ? Personally I do find nose piercings (particularly those where a ring is inserted through the septum) absolutely repulsive. I know that I am far from alone in my views. I was checking out of a hotel recently and the (otherwise very pleasant) girl who checked me out had a large one (ring through the septum that is :)) - I literally found it repulsive to look at, and to me it gave a very bad and unprofessional impression both of her and of the hotel.

I don't particularly like gaudy long false nails on people but it's a fashion thing and I would hope it wouldn't stop me from hiring them (although it is far more likely to impede in a job than say a nose piercing).

I'm a bit confused at the term 'professional' (although someone did further define it as 'traditional' profession). I think attitudes have greatly changed in Ireland with regard to tattoos and piercings, but we are still not as 'liberal' as a lot of Europe or some parts of the world.

Tattoo used to mean sailor/military/biker or rough, but now it is as much a fashion statement as anything. I don't think it's black and white either. I've seen receptionists in classy hotels here with several ear piercings.

My consultant doc has a fairly visible tattoo on his forearm, and his sleeves are not always down. My neighbour's Vet has tattoos, and my neighbour is a successful farmer and has those large gauge ear piercings. The cattle don't seem to mind.
    It's a bit silly when you bring gender into it with regard to ear piercing.

It's one thing someone having HATE tattooed on a knuckle being refused a job at a hotel, but surely not the same thing for someone with a rose on their wrist or something. Why are people so afraid of tattoos and piercings? And it does not directly relate to dealing with the public or wage amounts. Plenty of people in IT, Actors, Musicians etc with tattoos and piercings.

It's a shame you're so narrow minded as to look at something as trivial as a nose ring and allow it to taint your entire experience of a hotel. If the girl at reception was unprofessional or something to that effect that's completely fair but you should never judge someone by their appearance alone. It's an awful old fashioned way of thinking but I know at the end of the day it's no use even discussing it with people because it's a waste of time and energy.

Well to be fair the hotel was a bit of a dump as well and I won't be staying there again ! .:) I don't think I'm narrow minded at all - I've just explained that I find piercings repulsive. To me the girl at reception was being unprofessional by having an extremely large ring through her septum. I didn't make any other judgements about her other than I found her nose ring physically repulsive and I didn't think that her wearing it was a professional thing to do for someone who was representing the hotel in a customer facing role. People do get judged by their appearance - That's the real world.

I'm not having a go at anyone either, and I admire your confidence that your CV would get your foot in the door where I work :), but you need to think about something called "career realism" before you have either piercings or tattoos. Firms have every right to decide who represents them. An organisation that wishes to project a smart, professional image, or whose clients would likely be put off by them, is entitled to ban or limit body modifications. Basically for many professional and other roles workers can choose whether they prefer having piercings and/or tattoos or a job. For an employer, if they employ people with body piercings and/or tattoos in a customer-facing role, it could have an impact on reputation and doesn't portray a good corporate image. That is the reality, and before anyone suggests that the employer's right to choose who he employs should be restricted by law, that would not only be unfair and impractical but (perhaps more importantly) unenforceable. Around the the world the law overwhelmingly does not protect tattooed or body pierced employees.In Japan, where tattoos and piercings are widely associated with organised crime, bans are almost universal. A US federal appeals court ruled in 2006 that ordering public employees to cover up their tattoos did not violate their First Amendment rights. The Metropolitan Police in London do not allow body piercings or visible tattoos on their members. The list continues. Body piercings and tattoos are seriously bad news for your career prospects in many areas - The only possible exception being if you're applying for a job in body piercing or as a tattoo artist !:)

I'd respectfully disagree with you there. Tattoos can be covered by sleeves (for example, stick me in a suit and you'd be shocked at how covered I was if you didn't know me). You could make the argument that many companies take too bland a route when it comes to what they believe their customers would be offended or not by. I know myself (and I'd wager many, many others do the same) that the appearance of an employee is well, well down the pecking order in terms of the values I'd weigh when chosing to use one company over another. Generally the quality and value of the product or service and the manner in which you are treated are the most efficient yardsticks.

In my particular field there are a number of people with whom I work with that have tattoos. We're all college graduates, extremely professional and good at what we do. Not ALL people judge on appearance, just the shallow individuals. Let someone's personality and work ethic determine how others view them before jumping to rash decisions.

I don't particularly like gaudy long false nails on people but it's a fashion thing and I would hope it wouldn't stop me from hiring them (although it is far more likely to impede in a job than say a nose piercing).

I'm a bit confused at the term 'professional' (although someone did further define it as 'traditional' profession). I think attitudes have greatly changed in Ireland with regard to tattoos and piercings, but we are still not as 'liberal' as a lot of Europe or some parts of the world.

Tattoo used to mean sailor/military/biker or rough, but now it is as much a fashion statement as anything. I don't think it's black and white either. I've seen receptionists in classy hotels here with several ear piercings.

My consultant doc has a fairly visible tattoo on his forearm, and his sleeves are not always down. My neighbour's Vet has tattoos, and my neighbour is a successful farmer and has those large gauge ear piercings. The cattle don't seem to mind.
    It's a bit silly when you bring gender into it with regard to ear piercing.

It's one thing someone having HATE tattooed on a knuckle being refused a job at a hotel, but surely not the same thing for someone with a rose on their wrist or something. Why are people so afraid of tattoos and piercings? And it does not directly relate to dealing with the public or wage amounts. Plenty of people in IT, Actors, Musicians etc with tattoos and piercings.

Exceptions don't prove the rule. All I am stating (and have explained in some detail the reasons why) is that in general getting body piercings or tattoos is usually not going to greatly enhance either your job prospects or your career - You can bemoan that fact all you like but in general that is the reality.

Exceptions don't prove the rule. All I am stating (and have explained in some detail the reasons why) is that in general getting body piercings or tattoos is usually not going to greatly enhance either your job prospects or your career - You can bemoan that fact all you like but in general that is the reality.

To be fair nobody is really bemoaning it, rather trying to change perceptions.

In my particular field there are a number of people with whom I work with that have tattoos. We're all college graduates, extremely professional and good at what we do. Not ALL people judge on appearance, just the shallow individuals. Let someone's personality and work ethic determine how others view them before jumping to rash decisions.

Fine - If you want to believe that, wonderful ! - Good luck to you. " Let someone's personality and work ethic determine how others view them before jumping to rash decisions " - What a great anthem ! - Meanwhile in the real world......:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Goddamn I wouldn't want you trying to hire me for a job with that attitude. Would you mind explaining to me what we should judge fellow human beings on so?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement