Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yeats College Galway, facial piercings?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

P_1 wrote: »
    To be fair nobody is really bemoaning it, rather trying to change perceptions.

Fair enough. I'm not campaigning, just pointing out the realities in the job market. People shouldn't delude themselves that body piercings and/or tattoos can't be very "career limiting".

Asmodean wrote: »
    Goddamn I wouldn't want you trying to hire me for a job with that attitude. Would you mind explaining to me what we should judge fellow human beings on so?

What attitude ? - I have no attitude and no agenda whatsoever. I'm just pointing out, based on many years in an extremely successful and lucrative career, some realities as regards how people are judged in the real world. Please feel completely free to completely ignore what I am saying if you wish. - That will cause me no problem whatsoever.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Long Gone wrote: »
    Fine - If you want to believe that, wonderful ! - Good luck to you. " Let someone's personality and work ethic determine how others view them before jumping to rash decisions " - What a great anthem ! - Meanwhile in the real world......:rolleyes:

That is an awfully pessimistic and dismissive attitude to be having, sadly it is one that is all too common and a depressingly large number of people (particularly in Ireland) follow it blindly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

What attitude ? I have no attitude. I'm just pointing out some realities.

You could do that without being so sarcastic though in fairness. We're trying to have a discussion here, don't need the childish attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ash182

....aaanyways, you dont have to let it close up. i had to take out my nose piercings for school so i bought clear ones from a site called crazyfactory and wore those everyday & no one noticed a thing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The Metropolitan Police in London do not allow body piercings or visible tattoos on their members.

I'm fairly sure that rule applies to visible tattoos that may cause offence to a member of public (now that could be a wide list, but see my earlier post about a wide range. This article states it is often disputed too.

To say 'this is the way it is' is quite limited. 20 years ago it was half again as difficult to get a job with a tattoo and piercing. Thankfully, attitudes have lightened in the retail sector, and other places. Obviously though, not with everyone. A face tattoo with a body implant of a unicorn horn is very different to a nose stud. Do people who frown on all these 'things' hate them all equally or is there a scale?

And what's the issue with a guy wearing earrings. I know loads of blokes with earrings.

You could do that without being so sarcastic though in fairness. We're trying to have a discussion here, don't need the childish attitude.

I haven't been sarcastic. I don't believe that you have any basis whatsoever for accusing me of being sarcastic. I certainly haven't been childish, and, based on the rational content of my posts as compared to yours, for you to suggest that my contributions to the discussion are childish is frankly ludicrous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Fine - If you want to believe that, wonderful ! - Good luck to you. " Let someone's personality and work ethic determine how others view them before jumping to rash decisions " - What a great anthem ! - Meanwhile in the real world......:rolleyes:

Its clear to me that you are not well traveled and not very open minded.
    I have worked all over the world and plenty of the workers and indeed management had piercings tats etc.
    Also if you were any good at management you would not let your personal bias impact your hiring decisions, i would advise you never to work in Management in Canada the U.S or Aus if this is your attitude.
    Perhaps some travelling would broaden your mind.

P_1 wrote: »
    That is an awfully pessimistic and dismissive attitude to be having, sadly it is one that is all too common and a depressingly large number of people (particularly in Ireland) follow it blindly

And then we wonder why we dont have much innovation in Ireland compared to other countries, some employers only want to hire drones.
    Some of the most successful companies in the world dont judge people on there looks or whether they have tats or piercings but rather there talents.
    Examples Google Apple etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Your version of the 'real world' isnt necessarily most peoples. Oh and :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I haven't been sarcastic. I don't believe that you have any basis whatsoever for accusing me of being sarcastic. I certainly haven't been childish, and, based on the rational content of my posts as compared to yours, for you to suggest that my contributions to the discussion are childish is frankly ludicrous.
    You've been throwing an awful lot of sarcastic emoticons in fairness along the way which makes it look like you're not taking some of my points seriously. If you disagree with me that's fine but at least try and understand where the other side of the argument is coming from too. You insist that looks matter in your work environment but I am telling you that where I work appearance is the last thing people care about and it will not affect your career progression in the slightest, so I don't see why my argument should be dismissed so easily. Just as a side note, is it only visible tattoos and piercings you have a problem with?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cool your jets everyone.

I know of employers in Galway that insist on men being clean shaven (I think that's a bit too far also) never mind no visible tattoos or earring.

If I were interviewing I would also be putting someone to the back of the queue who had stand out features like visible tattoos (ones that can be hidden during the working day are not an issue), any piercings other than earrings and hair died in daft colours like pink etc.

I'm not a person who is too fond of the dress code that a lot of work places enforce when not necessary, I'm glad to be able to wear jeans and a t-sh1rt to work however I think professional work places should (and often do weather they admit it or not) draw the line at visible tattoos and facial piercings. If you are going to meetings, presenting at conferences, meeting clients etc etc it does not portray a good image of the person or company to have a person who's face is pierced or has visible tattoos.

You've been throwing an awful lot of sarcastic emoticons in fairness along the way which makes it look like you're not taking some of my points seriously. If you disagree with me that's fine but at least try and understand where the other side of the argument is coming from too. You insist that looks matter in your work environment but I am telling you that where I work appearance is the last thing people care about and it will not affect your career progression in the slightest, so I don't see why my argument should be dismissed so easily. Just as a side note, is it only visible tattoos and piercings you have a problem with?

Sarcastic emoticons ? - How on earth can an emoticon be sarcastic in itself ? - I only posted rolling eyes emoticons to signify that I regarding some of the points being made as ludicrous. I have no idea (nor do I care in the slightest) where or at what you work but I can assure you that your assertion that your appearance will "not affect your career progression in the slightest" is not borne out by the many studies on the subject that have been carried out - Or by common sense for that matter.....

Contrary to what you suggest (and as I have already stated many times) I have no interest whatsoever in campaigning on this subject. As I have already stated (ad nauseum) I am merely pointing out that body piercings and tattoos are in general negatively perceived in the job market and within mainstream employment tend to be "career limiting". That is a fact. If you don't agree with it fine - But you are flying right in the face of career realism and conventional wisdom.

Personally I really couldn't care less what people do to project their "individuality" (as they see it...). As far as I'm concerned the more body pierced, body altered, tattooed, pink haired, mohican sporting etc etc f***wits there are out there in the job market the more jobs will be available for people with some sense ! :)

As far as I'm concerned the more body pierced, body altered, tattooed, pink haired, mohican sporting etc etc f***wits there are out there in the job market the more jobs will be available for people with some sense ! :)
    You were doing so well until that last paragraph too. There's no need to resort to name calling. We'll just have to agree to disagree I guess.

People that completed schools like Yeats, how did you find college? I've always been against the idea of supervised and forced study, the likes of which you'd get there. Sure you might get higher points, but I always wonder whether people that were used to that structure of study struggle with the hands off approach of college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Personally I really couldn't care less what people do to project their "individuality" (as they see it...). As far as I'm concerned the more body pierced, body altered, tattooed, pink haired, mohican sporting etc etc f***wits there are out there in the job market the more jobs will be available for people with some sense ! :)

Long Gone. This is a very disrespectful comment. I would ask that you please refrain from posting on this thread again, unless you can express yourself in a calm, rational and considerate way.

This thread is veering very much off topic. It is no longer pertinent to just Galway City, so please keep it local.

Anyway, the bleedin' stench of high horses in this thread is making me itch.

I am merely pointing out that body piercings and tattoos are in general negatively perceived in the job market and within mainstream employment tend to be "career limiting". That is a fact. If you don't agree with it fine - But you are flying right in the face of career realism and conventional wisdom.

No it is not a fact, many of the worlds major companies would not have a problem with them, as i said google, apple, faebook etc
    Of course you would never get a job with them as they tend not to hire narrow minded ignorant people who judge people on there looks not there skills.

No it is not a fact, many of the worlds major companies would not have a problem with them, as i said google, apple, faebook etc

I bet it varies even with these companies, staff just working in an office programming away etc it may not matter but when its comes promotion time and people are going to be representing the company at meetings, conferences etc then I bet they are more choosy.

I've been to many conferences where google have presented and not one person had a piercing or tattoo on show.

Also there are many many of the worlds major companies who you can be sure do not allow it. Any big financial institutions wont allow it for instance, you wont see any accountants or bank workers having visible tattoos or piercings etc.

This is why I can see a school enforcing these policies its to get people ready for the real world and hopefully discourage people from getting tattoos and silly facial piercing and aiming for a more professional look which will stand to them in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,559 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Here's a link from the journal.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/excessive-tattoos-workplace-1462285-May2014/

I do think people with a nose ring would face trouble seeking work. Tattoos are fine as long as there not on some bodies face, neck, hands, etc. men generally can get away with tattoos more because they can cover them up. I also think it depends on what the tattoo is of would have an effect you getting a job or having your contract renewed if you turned up at work with a tattoo. I like tattoos by the way. Think they suit men more than women.(that's my opinion)
    I worked in a hotel men had to be clean shaven, no visible tattoos and they were very strict about piercings. People did look more professional than if people were walking around with tattoos and piercings.
    To be honest op its depends on what you wish to study and college and career path you wish to follow.

• Advertisement

Of course you would never get a job with them as they tend not to hire narrow minded ignorant people who judge people on there (sic) looks not there (sic) skills.

No, of course they wouldn't - Silly me.... And of course I would never get a job with them - That would explain why I work in a senior managerial position and pay more in tax each year than most people's salaries....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Muckracker

Whenever I see tattoos and piercings I just think 'poor life decisions'.

Muckracker wrote: »
    Whenever I see tattoos and piercings I just think 'poor life decisions'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

No, of course they wouldn't - Silly me.... And of course I would never get a job with them - That would explain why I work in a senior managerial position and pay more in tax each year than most people's salaries....

Stay classy.

Very mature approach to the discussion. Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions.

Arghus wrote: »
    Stay classy.

I always do sham ! .:) And I'm always literate ! - A sure sign of "good life decisions" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

I always do sham ! .:) And I'm always literate ! ;)

hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I always do sham ! .:) And I'm always literate ! - A sure sign of "good life decisions" ;)

Am I missing an emoticon in there or something?

Arghus wrote: »
    Am I missing an emoticon in there or something?

I think you might be missing more than that ! .:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

.:)

Think your smiley left a little poo...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement