Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Ireland - standards

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Typical self deprecating Irish :rolleyes: Yera begorrah you and your notions of a pool sure yera t'idnt there water in the bog till be good enough for ya.
    Generally, you can't have nice things in Ireland. If there was a pool in a complex, it'd be riddled with pee and other unknown things.
    SpaceTime wrote: »
    There's no just smell of amateurism. The Irish and British rental markets are run by armatures there's no other way of describing it.
    It'd be nice if one company could own all of the apartments, but I doubt there is anything like that in Ireland. And even if there was, as the laws permit people to live rent free for a year or more, I can't see anyone risking building something nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Tenants friken behave themselves in other countries. That's why we can't have nice things here. Look at the threads in this forum. People annoyed that their landlord has taken exception to 5 huge indoor animals that chewed all the carpentry in the house.

Op, I rented for a long time, in a few countries, including Ireland. And I'm a landlord. To get good quality accommodation in any of them, go UNFURNISHED only. Otherwise it is student territory. Landlords are protecting themselves by putting in low cost furniture. I only let unfurnished now. That way I get grown-up tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Yer all caught up in the notions of swimming pools lads. Even the quality of places to rent is p*ss poor. Every single 500 a month apt share outside of Dublin is the exact same in this country. Sh*tty boxes with electric heaters, immersion showers and nothing else. Oh wait I forgot, horrible furniture, small freezers, a hole in the wall where a tele should be, and lovely emulsion paint walls. :rolleyes:

The rental market on daft is the stuff of nightmares, had an email from a letting agency earlier this week advertising the stuff, you'd swear it was the Ritz, I nearly got sick when I saw the pictures.

tenants can if they want buy their own furniture. The problem with buying expensive furniture that wont be looked after , not appreciated in most cases i.e. tenant will not pay more for, plus low rent with high tax just makes this investment improbable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If you're renting in many continental countries there's a possibility of a bit of stability and long term leases.

In Ireland all that has to happen is the landlord says they need it for a family member and you're out on your ear.
    German law also allows the landlord to terminate the lease if he or his immediate family needs the property for their own use.

Agree with the broad thrust of your post though. Rental sector needs attention from the legislators to make it fit for purpose for all sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

pwurple wrote: »
    Op, I rented for a long time, in a few countries, including Ireland. And I'm a landlord. To get good quality accommodation in any of them, go UNFURNISHED only. Otherwise it is student territory. Landlords are protecting themselves by putting in low cost furniture. I only let unfurnished now. That way I get grown-up tenants.

Getting unfurnished in Ireland is extremely difficult.

ON the OP's comments, I have been recently looking at accommodation in Brussels as well. A few of their apartment blocks have pools. One, which I looked at, had a one bedroomed apartment for 950E, was 5 minutes walk from a metro station and in a very decent area because I happen to know it. It's not just living in a solar intensive area that enables pools. It's a will to provide services and improve things. Oh and that 1 bed apartment was about 50% bigger than most 1 bed apartments in Dublin.

There are issues with rental in Ireland, mostly because it has historically been temporary, and has also some past as being a student economic activity. There is a lack of business trust between tenants having their deposits kept and landlords having properties trashed. I don't think the latter is more common than the former, by the way, but it certainly gets more publicity sometimes.

In the meantime, the Irish rental market needs both a regulatory and a cultural change and even if we get that, we still won't get decent facilities in them because goddammit it was far from apartment blocks with swimming pools you were raised and yerrah it'll do.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

This is driven by government housing policy which is driven by lobbying by greedy banks and a landlord class who don't want to see any change.

If this rental market was fully driven by the landlord class it is surprising how heavily taxed rental income is. The fact that being a landlord is so unprofitable doesn't nicely agree with the theory policy is dominated by their interests. Perhaps it is time to reduce barriers to entry to investors wishing to become landlords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement