Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Credit Check for Mortgage Approval

• 20-06-2015 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I am applying for a mortgage with AIB and they say they need me to do a foreign credit check as I lived abroad 8 years ago and my wife is foreign. They said that I just need to go to experian to do this but it seems like experian only does Irish checks? Has anyone done this? Where can I get a foreign credit check quickly?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mod Note: Moved to Banking, for better finance help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭Cilar

Went through the same issue last year. I was filling out mortgage application with AIB, KBC and BoI. Only AIB was asking for credit check. The issue is that this concept of "credit rating" does not exist in many other EU countries, so AIB request does not make any sense. So I just continued the application with KBC and BoI, and moved away from AIB. KBC offers much better rates anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

mark23 wrote: »
    I am applying for a mortgage with AIB and they say they need me to do a foreign credit check as I lived abroad 8 years ago and my wife is foreign. They said that I just need to go to experian to do this but it seems like experian only does Irish checks? Has anyone done this? Where can I get a foreign credit check quickly?

Thanks,

It depends on in which country you lived on where your wife is from.

Most countries have a credit reference company similar to Experian or our ICB.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 tomhain

same happened to us, we said we live in Ireland for last 8 (partner 10) years and we have no commitments to country where we lived before, and that the agency requieres permanent address to post this report in the same country (they do not post to foreign country) and so it would be extremelly difficult for us to get it. After that they said it ok, we don't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭EZ26

Did you get the loan in the end? Where they OK with you not being able to provide the foreign credit check? It's the same in many countries, they simply don't send it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mark23

EZ26 wrote: »
    Did you get the loan in the end? Where they OK with you not being able to provide the foreign credit check? It's the same in many countries, they simply don't send it!

Yes, I did get it and they were ok with me not getting the check. However, my wife did have to do one.

But was your wife's foreign?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mark23

EZ26 wrote: »
    But was your wife's foreign?

thanks

Yes, I had only lived outside of the country.

ok thanks

Advertisement