Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Ninja 250 valve chatter after adjustment? Good/bad?

• 20-06-2015 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Long story short: I adjusted the valves on my Ninja 250. Running way way better now...But I can hear some valve chatter...light tappings. It doesn't sound out of place or loud, but it is different to what I remember the engine ever sounding like (bought it at 6k miles, 23k miles now). This was the first valve adjustment.

All the valves were tight, and you adjust by changing shims which only come in various increments, so when I had a decision to make as to whether go on the slightly tighter side or the looser side of the spec (when deciding which shim to buy), I choose the looser as opposed to tighter, as I felt they'd get tighter in time again anyway (which seems to be the norm for these types of cam-over-bucket style engines).

To further complicate things, before I did the measuring/adjusting, I replaced my exhaust camshaft with another one (with 10k miles, got on ebay), because I managed to break it! Fun! I'm curious as to whether the new (second hand) camshaft would have to worn in to the existing camchain and grooves it sits in, after a few miles of riding after my adjustment -- and therefore changing the clearances a bit. Although, I don't think so...and I noticed the chatter from the first time I switched it on after the adjustment.

Also, I have two sets of feeler guages...they give different readings, slightly, which is less than ideal...so was never 100% happy with my readings. Just made the best decisions I could.

My question is, this valve chatter...is it normal/good/safe? You can kind of find whatever answer you're looking for on Google...some say good, some say bad.

Wanna know your experience/opinions?

Advertisement